Options

'Twas The Night Before Christmas!!!

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited December 29, 2008 in People
...a candle lit Christmas Eve tradition for my family...

1 before the lights were dimmed...
442409059_d2L8Y-M.jpg

2 Singing of Hymns.
442412313_aUgcX-M.jpg

442413565_Rbxfk-M.jpg

442415135_tQpiQ-M.jpg

5 The lighting of candles begins.
442415399_yNbYw-M.jpg

442417330_sdyQB-M.jpg

442419259_ZV5Nb-M.jpg

442419883_eMQ8h-M.jpg

442421016_F4jcB-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Beautiful! Merry Christmas, Jeff! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Lovely! I especially like 1, 6, 9. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Beautiful! Merry Christmas, Jeff! iloveyou.gif

Thanks, and a Merry Christmas to you as well!
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Lovely! I especially like 1, 6, 9. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thank you Elaine.

Ya know, I have always held some severe anxiety when doing weddings for the dreadful fear that the couple might want to have a candle lit ceremony. I learned a lot last night about that. Though there are certainly some things you can...and cannot do with a camera and candlelight I actually look forward now to someday having that opportunity....well....at least I wouldn't run from it. I wasn't dissapointed with a single exposure.

Also, I was on the fence about whether to buy a new 5DmkII or a 50D. Still am I guess...but that 17-55 F2.8IS....hmmmheadscratch.gif ....it proves itself so positively in these situations it is hard to even think about buying into a system that won't allow it's use. I was able, because of the IS and F3.5 aperture, to capture these at ISO800 at shutter speeds in the 1/40 range. That is impressive!....oh! and all hand held!!!

I wish you and yours a special Christmas as well. :D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Great PJ stuff! Merry Xmas! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Nice shots Jeff! I especially like 5 & 6. Merry Christmas and looking forward to seeing more of yout stuff in the new year! :D
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2008
    Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I love the range of the occasion/expression that you captured.

And judging by everybody's clothes I'm guessing it's warmed up down there - we're pretty cold, so those short sleeves look positively summery!!!

Hope you are having a lovely Christmas day!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Great PJ stuff! Merry Xmas! thumb.gif

I appreciate that Nik.

I honestly had no idea what I would be able to manage once the majority of the lights were extinguished. I have enjoyed this beautiful candlelit service for many years though and knew what to expect. A photographer friend also showed up with his 20D in hand and asked "what settings should I use?". I told him honestly that I had no idea, that I just hoped I could capture a little of the spirit of the candle lit scene. Realizing that the wide apertures wouldn't lend itself to critically focused scenes I instead opted to throw the focus on forground objects in many of the photos and let the oof backgrounds suggest to the viewer where it was taken and what was going on. I am most satisfied with those photographs where I used that approach...as there was ample light to make that approach work well.

..and to my satisfaction...I did capture what I intended.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas as well!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    Mike J wrote:
    Nice shots Jeff! I especially like 5 & 6. Merry Christmas and looking forward to seeing more of yout stuff in the new year! :D

Thanks...now lets hope there is some "stuff" from me worth seeing!:D
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I love the range of the occasion/expression that you captured.

And judging by everybody's clothes I'm guessing it's warmed up down there - we're pretty cold, so those short sleeves look positively summery!!!

Hope you are having a lovely Christmas day!

Yup...

In the 70'sne_nau.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Very nice that you have these family traditions to share with your children.
    Thank you for sharing these moments with us.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Also, I was on the fence about whether to buy a new 5DmkII or a 50D. Still am I guess...but that 17-55 F2.8IS....hmmmheadscratch.gif ....it proves itself so positively in these situations it is hard to even think about buying into a system that won't allow it's use. I was able, because of the IS and F3.5 aperture, to capture these at ISO800 at shutter speeds in the 1/40 range. That is impressive!....oh! and all hand held!!!

I miss my 17-55 a little... but I sold it to fund a 35 1.4L... and you can get some really crazy available light stuff with 1.4 and a high but clean ISO on the 5D2 :):)

Anyhoo, great shots! Love it. I went to candlelight at my in-laws church (where my father-in-law is the pastor) but they might have thought me a little odd if I started snapping away... so all my holiday photos are at their home instead :)
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Very nice that you have these family traditions to share with your children.
    Thank you for sharing these moments with us.

Thanks Zoomer!:D
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I miss my 17-55 a little... but I sold it to fund a 35 1.4L... and you can get some really crazy available light stuff with 1.4 and a high but clean ISO on the 5D2 :):)

I have agonized over the decision...and still am hesitating to buy. I am thinking a 50D now to become a backup for 5DII later. If I still had my Tamron 28-75 I might just jump ship on crop sensors, but the 17-55 is keeping me there for now.
    Anyhoo, great shots! Love it. I went to candlelight at my in-laws church (where my father-in-law is the pastor) but they might have thought me a little odd if I started snapping away... so all my holiday photos are at their home instead :)
    Oh...I got some "looks" from a few people...but no one I recognized rolleyes1.gif

It was a beautiful atmosphere...and always is.
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Very nice shots Jeff. I to look forward to seeing more of your work as it is always inspiring.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP