Options

The Narnia Wedding

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited December 28, 2008 in Weddings
Well, not really. But there were lamp posts... and snow.
And it seems like it is always winter up here! LOL

1. In the summer I did engagement photos for these two, and we had a blast.
He loves to tinker with cars, and this was his latest creation of which he was very proud. (The car is a bit of a mutt, (many models) but a very cool mutt, IMHO.)
331889278_794ni-M-1.jpg

2. This is my first try at the textured portrait- I am not sure if I am totally sold on the finished product, though. My problem areas were her shoulders. The texture makes it feel a little more claustrophobic than I would like as well. This is simply a candid during the bridal prep and not posed at all. But it almost works.
434774455_CkjfH-M.jpg

3. It is great to be female at a bridal prep- I get to get in on everything.
434317614_qDqzp-M.jpg

4. I love how her ear / earring are the focal point in the photo and the mirror at the same time.
434318689_XFMWi-M.jpg

5. This photo is one of my favs of the set. I love her pose, expression and classic feel. I just wish that the "new construction" look could be gotten rid of a bit better.
430964879_R5LYu-M-1.jpg

6 Another of that setting. Do you think my PP is over the top? I was just so tickled to be able to figure out the lighting for these ones. That was my favorite part of this entire wedding: I realized that I can control the light and do fun, cool, stuff even in pitch black like it was in these photos.
434319455_vFvV8-M.jpg

7. Laughing photos are always about my favorite thing, though I know people often dislike them of themselves.
434320775_8fWKb-M.jpg

8. Isn't she just a cutie pie?
434801436_wgTgr-M.jpg

434320549_yqunX-M.jpg

10. Here is a b & w with 2 tones in the shadows and highlights. Lemme know if you dig it.
434321033_Nrc2T-M.jpg

11. And on to the ceremony. It was rather pretty with draped fabric and those lamp posts. Though it was soo dark I had to use my tiny red LED to see to walk around. I asked permission of the pastor to have a flash on a stand near the front of the room and it worked really well triggered with my 580exII on camera. That "head shadow" is from one of the groomsmen I think .
434323655_8BSRn-M.jpg

After the ceremony we plowed through the snow to get to the reception across town at the train depot, which is my most common wedding venue of the year. That and another comon thing is brides with names with "kris" in them. Kristina, Kirsten, Cristen, Krissey, Krista on and on. It makes it rather confusing for someone like me with a little brain.:rofl

12. This is my favorite photo of the entire wedding. I love his raw emotion and the way his fingers are suggest "clinging tightly". This was the "hug each other like its your last chance" pose. Works really well, I think.
434327376_Yxawh-M.jpg

13. This was a mistake, I'll confess, but I like the outcome. My flash sort of freaked out there for a second and let me know it was time to get warmed up inside. But I kind of like the stop action of the snow and how it turned out.
434413721_UMfCk-M.jpg

14. Here is an interesting view of the reception and the b & g. I was standing in a deep snow bank to get this so I hope the b & g appreciate my frozen toes. This was taken with OCF on the balcony beside them triggered remotly with my STE2. It triggers a flash from a pretty good distance if you don't mind a bit of trial and error.
434415017_BJxKF-L.jpg

15. The girls and I headed down to the tunnel between the venue and the airport for some fun shots with the "northern lights" ceiling. By this time most of the girls were fairly well "lit", so we had a lot of freedom in these shots. I'll probably end up cloning out the green to the right of the photo.
434424109_XNbLk-M.jpg

16. I love the one girl looking at them like they are all nuts. (Or soused... which may be more accurate.) Fun shadows, huh.
434424982_AsWmi-M.jpg

17. Wish I would have put more fill on camera left and gotten some light on her toes. 434424392_dZifb-M.jpg

So, now you have seen the bride and a bit more. What do you think? Comments & critique of any sort are always welcome.

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Welllllll, let's seeeee ...... agh. You are driving me nuts, those are awesome!!!

#1: It IS a pretty cool car, wow.
    #2: Love it. Not sure about the dark "shadow" next to her cheek ... I woudl either take it away or "expand it"
    #3: Not sure if I like this one, kind of a wired angle/position to put on a dress, no? eek7.gif
    #4: Beautiful!!
    #5 & 6: AWESOME!
    #7, 8 & 9: Too cute for wards!
    #10: Sexeyyyyyyyy
    #11: (ceremony) I think I would darken the shadows a bit
    #12 (hug): This is a PERFECT photo!!! wings.gif
    #13 (snow): You have to be kidding me!!! What's wrong with you???? Aghhhh, I want to have a pic like this in my portfolio too :cry It's a FABULOUS SHOT!!!! I don't care if their sides got flashed out, it kind of makes the whole photo. BIG FAN of this one wings.gif
    #14, 15, 16: FUN! thumb.gif
    #17: I think this one begs for an other texture treatment iloveyou.gif

wings.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    4 - great framing!
    5 is awesome!
    10 - I love the pose / framing of her body, it's fantastic... not sure if I'm sold on your processing a bit too tinted for my liking
    12 belongs on a wall!

This whole set is just fantastic :)
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    I like all of them, but I really like #12 and #13. I think the snowy picture is awesome.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Welllllll, let's seeeee ...... agh. You are driving me nuts, those are awesome!!!

#1: It IS a pretty cool car, wow.
    #2: Love it. Not sure about the dark "shadow" next to her cheek ... I would either take it away or "expand it"
    #3: Not sure if I like this one, kind of a wired angle/position to put on a dress, no? eek7.gif
    #4: Beautiful!!
    #5 & 6: AWESOME!
    #7, 8 & 9: Too cute for wards!
    #10: Sexeyyyyyyyy
    #11: (ceremony) I think I would darken the shadows a bit
    #12 (hug): This is a PERFECT photo!!! wings.gif
    #13 (snow): You have to be kidding me!!! What's wrong with you???? Aghhhh, I want to have a pic like this in my portfolio too :cry It's a FABULOUS SHOT!!!! I don't care if their sides got flashed out, it kind of makes the whole photo. BIG FAN of this one wings.gif
    #14, 15, 16: FUN! thumb.gif
    #17: I think this one begs for an other texture treatment iloveyou.gif

wings.gif
    Hey Angie- What wonderful feedback.clap.gif Well, you are pretty awesome and drive me nuts too, so there you go.mwink.gif

So you like #13. Hmmm. I like it too, but technically it has issues. It is more of a love/ hate thing, I think. I bet the casual observer will love it, but I doubt many pro-photographers will like it as much because of the hot flash over 1/4 of their bodies. Which is why sometimes rules can be chucked out of the window, I suppose!

Thanks so much for the awesome pointers! Seriously out of all the photos on DG your work is some of my favorite!
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    4 - great framing!
    5 is awesome!
    10 - I love the pose / framing of her body, it's fantastic... not sure if I'm sold on your processing a bit too tinted for my liking
    12 belongs on a wall!

This whole set is just fantastic :)

Well, thank you, Shima!
    I bet you that I'll get #12 on the wall before long.
    #10- I hear you about the processing. I will try and dial it back a smidgen and see how it looks then.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    ront wrote:
    I like all of them, but I really like #12 and #13. I think the snowy picture is awesome.

Ron

Thanks Ron! I am partial to those two as well!
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    I looked at this and the companion thread and I keep thinking Magazine! These are unique and wonderful. I love the snow!
    Jaye
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I like all of them. That snow "accident" shot was cool!
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    jayegirl wrote:
    I looked at this and the companion thread and I keep thinking Magazine! These are unique and wonderful. I love the snow!
    What a wonderful compliment! Thank you so much.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    I like all of them. That snow "accident" shot was cool!

Great pun! Its snow accident. ha ha!
    Thanks for the comment!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    This is work to be proud of.
    The only one that really didn't work for me was the texture shot.
    Several of these were really top rate.
    I loved the far away night shot of the couple on the balcony and the stairs shot with her looking up.....and a few more...
    I bet the couple was over the top with loving these!!
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    aaah, what a beautiful set! Your colors and sharpness never disappoint!

Absolutely love 5, you do have such creative, different ideas with brides in staircases and they actually work! Love the lighting and DOF.

I think 12 and 13 are marvelous, doesn't look like a mistake to me ne_nau.gif looks like a lovely snowstorm! Lots of drama and energy in both!

Absolutely loving the S curve, color scheme of 15. The composition would be perrrrfect if maybe cropped a tiny bit tighter to get rid of the sliver of door and exit sign. I am really liking this tunnel!

Gorgeous set, looks like a very fun couple and bridal party! Way to go.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Fred...you never cease to amaze me. What a great set. The new construction shot......I love it....and actually would be great to enhance the surrounding giving it that grunge look.....fabulous pose and treatment as it is too. The car shot is cool.

Love your processing style. The wigged out flash in the snow turned out very well....gives one the mood capture....well done all around. Sure would be fun to shoot with you. Alaska is a bit of a drive though...Laughing.gif

Again, wonderful work. I'm sure the clients will be thrilled!thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Heather, Heather Heather! What a WONDERFUL set!!!! I'll agree on the snow shot (with the masses that is). It isn't always about the tecnical aspects of a shot.

My favs' were 7, 8, 9, and 12. 7-9 show an amazingly beautiful, fun bride with a smile that lights up a room... should be exactly how any woman would want to be seen on her wedding day. 12 shows a caring and loving man holding tightly on to his everything. Emotion perfectly captured IMO.

On the down side... I don't like the chip-board steps. Love those poses, but to my eye the raw steps are not appealing at all.

In general, this is very good off-camera flash work and a great job of defeating weather and conventionality. Well done girl!!!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    aaah, what a beautiful set! Your colors and sharpness never disappoint!

Absolutely love 5, you do have such creative, different ideas with brides in staircases and they actually work! Love the lighting and DOF.

I think 12 and 13 are marvelous, doesn't look like a mistake to me ne_nau.gif looks like a lovely snowstorm! Lots of drama and energy in both!

Absolutely loving the S curve, color scheme of 15. The composition would be perrrrfect if maybe cropped a tiny bit tighter to get rid of the sliver of door and exit sign. I am really liking this tunnel!

Gorgeous set, looks like a very fun couple and bridal party! Way to go.

Lynne- I always wait until you weigh in to see what the "master photographer" thinks. So THANK YOU! Your comments made my day (and maybe the next day too!)

On 15 I am going to have to crop or clone, I can see that for sure... no problem either way. Again, many thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Fred...you never cease to amaze me. What a great set. The new construction shot......I love it....and actually would be great to enhance the surrounding giving it that grunge look.....fabulous pose and treatment as it is too. The car shot is cool.

Love your processing style. The wigged out flash in the snow turned out very well....gives one the mood capture....well done all around. Sure would be fun to shoot with you. Alaska is a bit of a drive though...Laughing.gif

Again, wonderful work. I'm sure the clients will be thrilled!thumb.gif

I wonder how you would "enhance" the new construction look. If you only knew how many stupid screw holes I patched out of that evil unfinished sheet rock....
    In fact, I meticulously selected the bride and put a layer of blur on the stairs because I hadn't gotten my DOF as narrow as I wanted. It was a lot of work, let me tell you. Are you thinking texture?
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    mmmatt wrote:
    Heather, Heather Heather! What a WONDERFUL set!!!! I'll agree on the snow shot (with the masses that is). It isn't always about the tecnical aspects of a shot.

My favs' were 7, 8, 9, and 12. 7-9 show an amazingly beautiful, fun bride with a smile that lights up a room... should be exactly how any woman would want to be seen on her wedding day. 12 shows a caring and loving man holding tightly on to his everything. Emotion perfectly captured IMO.

On the down side... I don't like the chip-board steps. Love those poses, but to my eye the raw steps are not appealing at all.

In general, this is very good off-camera flash work and a great job of defeating weather and conventionality. Well done girl!!!!

Matt
    Well, Matt. I do thank you for your uber nice words!
    I do hear you about those steps.... and am right there in agreement with you. To be honest it was so dark right there I couldn't see with my natural eyes that they were unfinished at all! Imagine my surprise when I found out after downloading. So, like I was saying to Swarty, I spent a good deal of time diminishing the effect of the OSB.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    I wonder how you would "enhance" the new construction look. If you only knew how many stupid screw holes I patched out of that evil unfinished sheet rock....
    In fact, I meticulously selected the bride and put a layer of blur on the stairs because I hadn't gotten my DOF as narrow as I wanted. It was a lot of work, let me tell you. Are you thinking texture?

Yes, that is what I meant to articulate.....a texture overlayed that setting then paint her back in....just a thought.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Well, Matt. I do thank you for your uber nice words!
    I do hear you about those steps.... and am right there in agreement with you. To be honest it was so dark right there I couldn't see with my natural eyes that they were unfinished at all! Imagine my surprise when I found out after downloading. So, like I was saying to Swarty, I spent a good deal of time diminishing the effect of the OSB.

I like uberin' when things are uberworthy. Ahh yes... you said pitch black in there. What was the reason for the setting? Part of the venue or b&g's new home?

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    The church was still being built. I guess it is one of those "little bit at a time" projects. It was so dark because they wanted those lamp posts to be the only lighting in the room. eek7.gif I was SOOO glad I had gone to the rehearsal and then afterwards to the store for those little flashlights. The stairs led to the balcony, and thus had the darkness of the main room.
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Wow ... these are fantastic. The bride has a beautiful smile. 5,7,9,12 & 13 are my favorites......I love the snow in 12 and 13...great captures.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2008
    Thank you! I appreciate your comments!