Options

I need Help I think at least Advice

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited May 3, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Just a few minutes ago I posted a few pictures over at dpreview panasonic forum (as a courtesy since I use that camera).

Link to thread :
panasonice link

the second reply from a ronnyno has a link to his Gallery and there low and behold is my image redone by him.

I'm just fumming so someone calm me down and say it's OK !!??
But it isn't is it ? I mean we use other peoples stuff but I know I don't post it on my gallery as if it was mine!!!!!

I know I should just 1st approach this person and ask politely but I'm to angry right now, am I wrong

Shay you know this stuff, what do I do ?

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Just a few minutes ago I posted a few pictures over at dpreview panasonic forum (as a courtesy since I use that camera).

Link to thread :
    panasonice link

the second reply from a ronnyno has a link to his Gallery and there low and behold is my image redone by him.

But it isn't is it ? I mean we use other peoples stuff but I know I don't post it on my gallery as if it was mine!!!!!

I know I should just 1st approach this person and ask politely but I'm to angry right now, am I wrong

lets go pay him a visit Ben and have a talk Pissed.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    Before you get too worked up...
    I see this as the posters attempt to show an example of getting rid of the fencing. He likely has no way of posting without showing it on his gallery. I don't think any theft or ill intentions were meant by it at all.

If you really don't want the edited example photo to remain on his site, just send a friendly note to him, thanking him for the example, and to please remove it as you have now seen it.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2005
    Ok
    I see this as the posters attempt to show an example of getting rid of the fencing. He likely has no way of posting without showing it on his gallery. I don't think any theft or ill intentions were meant by it at all.

If you really don't want the edited example photo to remain on his site, just send a friendly note to him, thanking him for the example, and to please remove it as you have now seen it.
    1st thank you for your immediate response.
    You are of course correct, and again thanks for the "chill pill" !!
    As soon as my hands stop clenching into fists, I'll type a nice polite thank you and please remove type response, and hope that's the end of it.

Man I didn't think I'd get so emotional about my stuff, oh well live and learn.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    bfjr wrote:

Link to thread :
    panasonice link

I think your over reacting a little. As Shay said, it looks like he removed the fence, and maybe applied some sharpening. He then posted right back to YOU, and asked what about this? It doesn't look like he is hiding anything or presenting it as his original work, but as post processing of your shot.

If you really object to people trying to improve your shots, maybe you could let them know. I do it all the time, and have had many of mine done. It has all been in the name of learning and helping.

That's my take on it.

Sam
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    no big eeeeeeee
    Sam and Shay are right after I got a look at it on my monitor had to change % to see your full shot and that is what it seems and germany is a long way for a chat :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I think your over reacting a little. As Shay said, it looks like he removed the fence, and maybe applied some sharpening. He then posted right back to YOU, and asked what about this? It doesn't look like he is hiding anything or presenting it as his original work, but as post processing of your shot.

If you really object to people trying to improve your shots, maybe you could let them know. I do it all the time, and have had many of mine done. It has all been in the name of learning and helping.

That's my take on it.

Sam
    Ok I'm calmer sort of now. :D
    Sam don't misunderstand, please I have no problem with using my images in the way we do here. Heck I encourge it, but in the past it's always been something like:

Sam I took your image and this what I did, what do you think ??

His post is missing that essential part (to me at least) all he says what do you think. Another person (like me) might think its a link to a shot of similar animal that he took. Does that make sense ??

Thanks for helping me calm down, really thanks
    Ben
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Ok I'm calmer sort of now. :D
    Sam don't misunderstand, please I have no problem with using my images in the way we do here. Heck I encourge it, but in the past it's always been something like:

Sam I took your image and this what I did, what do you think ??

His post is missing that essential part (to me at least) all he says what do you think. Another person (like me) might think its a link to a shot of similar animal that he took. Does that make sense ??

Thanks for helping me calm down, really thanks
    Ben
    I didn't even look, but jware mentioned Germany. Soemtimes we have to be extra careful when dealing someone whose native language isn't English.

The internet can be difficult. Some can express themselves far better in writting than others. I have gotten my sweet self into some controversy when I was missunderstood. Words are only part of how we communicate.

If he sells your photo for big bucks let me know! I'll go straight to your website and start pilfering. :D

Sam
  • Options
    swoozieqswoozieq Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2005
    My first post here and low and behold something similar to what happened to me yesterday!

On a message forum I go to frequently, I discovered one of the younger members used one of my images as a header on their myspace. I was angry too! Especially because I sell/lease my images...

I sent the perp a little note letting them know I was honored they liked my pic so much but it was a copywrite infringement because they didn't ask permission and they could be looking at a hefty fine. I asked them to remove it.. I never saw a pic change soo fast in my life! rolleyes1.gif I think I scared them!

In this case it seems innocent.. The right way to go is to ask permission first.. Maybe everyone needs to be reminded of that now and again...
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    swoozieq wrote:
    My first post here and low and behold something similar to what happened to me yesterday!

On a message forum I go to frequently, I discovered one of the younger members used one of my images as a header on their myspace. I was angry too! Especially because I sell/lease my images...

I sent the perp a little note letting them know I was honored they liked my pic so much but it was a copywrite infringement because they didn't ask permission and they could be looking at a hefty fine. I asked them to remove it.. I never saw a pic change soo fast in my life! rolleyes1.gif I think I scared them!

In this case it seems innocent.. The right way to go is to ask permission first.. Maybe everyone needs to be reminded of that now and again...
    1st Welcome thumb.gif

2nd ly let me assure you that at DGrin, we have great respect for each others work and will ask or indicate that we are using your image for ??, with your permission.

My little fray is not quite over. I left a polite msg as you, but have not as yet asked him to remove it.

One more very important point. When my problem ne_nau.gif occured, you can see that the folks here, were here for me right away thumb.gif how cool is that. In other words this is a great place!!!

Lets see some of your images ?? thumb.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005

Oh, my gosh, am i guilty of this. I finally put a thing on the gallery, I mean a title, say "Other People's photos" and that is not even correct as I have changed them a bit...........just for something to do. I bring them back thru smugmug and there they sit. They are now behind the privacy thing, but that took me awhile.

I started politely............saying I did this to the photo, if you mind i will delete it immediately. I did not even think about it being on smugmug still.

Ok, before blood pressure rises, as someone thinks to tell me the obvious. I can just delete "other people's photos"...................sorry..........

Believe me, I would not have sold them, not that it couldn't have happened without my knowledge.....since I have sold so little and always with communication before hand, that I know of. Well, it is an accident waiting to happen, probably not on my site, but it could.

I am learning alot. size 12 jpegs are costing smugmug, and us, money. And I have put other people's photos in harm's way.

g:uhoh
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.