912582445_Am55i-L.jpg

827796836_G3pkg-L.jpg

Virginia

Email

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    I saw this on my blackberry yesterday but wanted to wait to comment until I saw it on a big screen. I am surprised there are no comments yet.
    I'll be the first:)

Took me getting to photo number two to realize we weren't in Kansas anymore (I'll be honest, I had to google Hana after seeing the photos). Then I went back to photo #1 and saw a glimpse of the hooves!

Virginia--these are fantastic shots and I love the way you processed them, which probably means you have to tone them down :) --

#1 is a great portrait
    #2 is a superb capture IMO, with the looks on all their faces from the humans to the caged dogs and the dead animals.
    #3 is a great candid.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Thanks, Liz. I appreciate your comments and I'm glad you like the series. Your comments on the processing made me smile!

I can understand why people might not comment on these pictures. They were hard pictures for me to take and still hard to look at in some ways. That said, the wild boar are a problem on Maui and their population needs to be kept down. These hunters trek deep into the forests using their dogs to track the boar. The kill with a knife, which has to be dangerous (though, I understand that using guns is also common). The meat will feed families and friends. These men were tired but happy with their morning's work.

I was told that it is rare to come a scene like this one, although I did read later that tourists can pay to go on boar hunts. In any event, meeting and talking to these men was certainly a change from the beautiful ocean vistas and gorgeous waterfalls that draw people to undertake the drive along the road to Hana.

Virginia

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Been there done that, Boar Hunting I mean :D

Boars can be dangerous and I have witnessed a few dogs get gorged as the boar turns drops his head
    and charges back!

These look like European transplants and I can understand how they could be a problem. I do not think there are Boar native to the Islands (could be wrong)

Lucky you to come upon this scene and capture it well. I do feel the processing works with these.
    Did you get to partake in a dinner of Wild Boar? Not bad if done well :eat
    You know with some Chianti and Fava beans rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited June 26, 2010
    Nice exotic looking set. I can't help but wonder about the hand gesture in #3, though. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice exotic looking set. I can't help but wonder about the hand gesture in #3, though. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, Richard.

The gesture the men are making is actually one of good will in Hawaii. Nothing disrespectful or rude implied at all. :D

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited June 26, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    Thanks, Richard.

The gesture the men are making is actually one of good will in Hawaii. Nothing disrespectful or rude implied at all. :D

Virginia

Cool. They have a different connotation in many Latin cultures. naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Cool. They have a different connotation in many Latin cultures. naughty.gif

Yup. I'm aware of that, Richard.rolleyes1.gif It took me a while to get comfortable with the common and friendly use of the gesture in Hawaii. It means "hang loose" or "stay cool."

The photo was actually taken right after one taken at their request in which all of the hunters were posed looking at the camera. Their hands have relaxed a bit. I like that one of the guys has moved on to checking on the dogs and isn't posing any more.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    Wonderful set of shots! And the backstory combines for a dynamite effect.

The second is my favorite, with the three sets of creatures. It has such an island feel to it. Glad they welcomed you and your camera.

Beautiful job!