Options

Nikon 17-35 f/2.8 or 16-35 f/4 VR?

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited January 14, 2013 in Accessories
HELP!
I'm looking for a wide zoom to finish off my collection of Nikon glass.

Mostly, I shoot landscape type shots. I did, however, just buy some stands and umbrellas for my speedlights to try my hand at "people" photos.

I can get a lightly used 17-35 for about the same as a new 16-35. If anyone has experience with both lenses, please give some guidance. This will be used on a D700 body.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,820 moderator
    edited January 6, 2013
    I normally advocate a larger aperture over stabilization, but for your applications of landscape and portraiture, either lens might be fine.

For landscapes I typically shoot at smaller apertures anyway, and for portraiture these WA zooms will mostly be valuable for environmental portraits and group portraits, both of which will generally use smaller apertures too.

If you do shoot landscapes early and late in the day, then the stabilization might come in handy for handheld images.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2013
    Both are incredibly sharp. The 16-35 is probably sharper, and a better investment for landscape photography in general. The 17-35 however, with it's f/2.8 aperture, might be better if you do more specialized things like star trails and other low-light shooting, and not just traditional landscapes. But then again, when it comes to star trails I find that f/2.8 isn't even very useful anyways; I'd rather have a 24mm f/1.4 anyways! So, back to the 16-35 being my long-term preference.
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    I've never used a 17-35, but I definitely love my 16-35. The VR helps a lot for landscape/architecture, but the f/4 is f/4...
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    TuskerTusker Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2013
    16/35 nikon lens
    Jeff, I bought a 16/35 for a long camping trip last Summer. This is of course an "N" lens. Trip turned out to be over 11,000 miles all totaled . The lens is VR, and 1.4 -- I am more than happy with this lens and would buy another if something happened to it. It is just my skills that need work. Many photos were taken but this is one. With my D700, low light is almost never a problem. The desert can at times present it's own collection of problems. This area just North and West of Moab Utah was once known as Robbers Roost-- Last one to used the area for this was one "BILL TIBBETTS" in the 1920's. Bill was the 'real deal', as we say around here,and there is a book for those interested. You can Google him as well. :)

large.jpg
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013
    I own the 17-35 and shoot a D700. I've used it for landscape and the occasional portrait. I have absolutely no complaints. I'm amazed by how sharp this lens is. AF works great on it. It's plenty wide for landscape stuff but you can zoom to 35mm to do some portrait work. However, at 35mm, you'll get distortion so you have to be careful when shooting people but that's an issue of focal length and not specific to this lens.

Here is a landscape photo take with the 17-35 lens on the D700 at ISO 500 (forgot to check ISO):

i-LcVKW9X-X3.jpg

Here is a portrait shot, again, same setup:

DSC_0860-Edit-X3.jpg

And here is a shot where you can appreciate sharpness (sorry, my daughter making silly faces):

DSC_0851-X3.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013
    I love my 17-35 f2.8 and is incredibly sharp. I'd rather have the f2.8 over the f4. As far as stabilization is concerned at lower shutter speeds, I've simply used a tripod. ;)