Options

DSS 122 - A Moment Like This

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited February 17, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #122 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges.

This challenge is for all dgrin members.

It will run from Tuesday,February 5, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, February 18, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The theme this round for your interpretation will be: A Moment Like This

What kind of moment can you capture that says WOW! This is wide open for interpretation. Whether it be a romantic, a sweet moment, a comedy caught in the act or an exciting action shot, show us your best! Contrived shot or candid, anything goes!

No editing restrictions!

Please note the change in this round's starting date. This is because of a late start but still gives everyone plenty of time to accomplish the task!

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #122 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge RULES.

Please note that there has been a rules wording change, so be sure you have re- read the rules!

Comments

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,958 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2013
    I have absolutely no idea how to engineer such a photo. Most of my shots that would qualify are at best accidental.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    grandmaR wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea how to engineer such a photo. Most of my shots that would qualify are at best accidental.

I know what you mean, grandmaR. Best of luck working it out. I'm rooting for you.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    Keller3778Keller3778 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    As I sit waiting for my wife to be induced I think I will have ample opportunity for this photo. 4 days of test shots help !
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Keller3778 wrote: »
    As I sit waiting for my wife to be induced I think I will have ample opportunity for this photo. 4 days of test shots help !

I bet it'll be a winner, too! Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2013
    grandmaR wrote: »

Accidental images can be very productive in capturing a moment in time. ;)

Keller3778 wrote: »

Congrates on your coming baby and opportunities!
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    hmmmm .... ok.... thinking maybe it might be a hipstamatic moment with my iPhone..... I've been absent a while...a number of the challenges didn't speak to me, right in the middle of the Christmas retail hell that I exist in, and then every day off in January was babysitting (so some cute Layla shots, but...) 10 days ago, I had foot surgery...and while I can get moving here and there, for SHORT period of time... but man do I miss it! I wandered out for a short drive the other day because I couldn't handle it any longer... http://aliaslaceygreen.com/2013/02/09/cy365-this-week/ Check out my bull! I just LOVE this shot and it makes me happy and so ready to shoot again...But. As I hobbled around yesterday feeling groovy, today, I am feeling the pain.... glad to have popped back in, and hope to have something show for it...
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2013
    Hope you a speedy recovery Trish! All you can do is take one day at a time. BTW...thats a lot of Bull! Do you really own it? Any bulls around here usually turn into moose steaks and burgers, but then we are not talking about the same species of bull. :D
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    oh goodness no, not MY bull... .lol...That is a shot I found while taking a short drive....I was going stir crazy...and at a turn around, there he was, just walking down the path, headed home!
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2013
    I forgot how to upload a picture . Can I drag it from my PC or do I have to put it in my smugmug accountfirst?

JAG wrote: »
    Welcome to Round #122 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges.

This challenge is for all dgrin members.

It will run from Tuesday,February 5, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, February 18, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The theme this round for your interpretation will be: A Moment Like This

What kind of moment can you capture that says WOW! This is wide open for interpretation. Whether it be a romantic, a sweet moment, a comedy caught in the act or an exciting action shot, show us your best! Contrived shot or candid, anything goes!

No editing restrictions!

Please note the change in this round's starting date. This is because of a late start but still gives everyone plenty of time to accomplish the task!

Your Judge:
    1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #122 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge RULES.

Please note that there has been a rules wording change, so be sure you have re- read the rules!
    :photo
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2013
    I forgot how to upload a picture . Can I drag it from my PC or do I have to put it in my smugmug accountfirst?

Instructions are at the top of the gallery page (DSS #122 Entry Gallery), including this:

How to upload:
    •Note: Uploading your image requires you to login to this gallery with a specific user name and password. Therefore, if you are logged in on your own SmugMug account, you must first click on 'logout' at the bottom of this page.
    •At the bottom of this page, click on 'login'.
    •When prompted for an email/password, use "challenges" for both, and click on 'Log In'.
    •You will be redirected to this page.
    •Click on the 'Challenge Submissions' gallery to enter it.
    •Click on '+Upload' button, near the top. Select 'To This Gallery'.
    •When prompted for what uploader to use, we recommend the 'simple uploader. For help or problems with the uploader, please see this SmugMug help page.
    •Drag your image to the Simple Uploader, and click on 'Upload'.

Does that help?
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2013
    I know they are but it doesn't mention how to upload and I believe that a long time ago the picture had to be on the smugmug site in order to enter the challenge???
    Maybe it was in one of my past life, who knows.
    Anyway my picture " splash around the world " is in the challenge .

Thanks

bountyphotographer
    :photo
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2013
    I know they are but it doesn't mention how to upload and I believe that a long time ago the picture had to be on the smugmug site in order to enter the challenge???

Thanks

bountyphotographer
    Interesting shot, but you ned to fix the caption. Spaces are required between your username and the dash and the title.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2013
    Help! It has been quite a while since I made an entry....did figure out how to get it uploaded however, when I look at the EXIF data it is not complete...have tried 2 methods of uploading with the same results. What can I do to rectify this? Thanks in advance. I took this at his hockey game on his 8th birthday.....and he actually got 3 hat tricks!!! (but as you see there is no date......yikes!)
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2013

Thanks

bountyphotographer

You are to upload from your computer. The DSS challenges are on a hosted smugmug site. You did fine!
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Interesting shot, but you ned to fix the caption. Spaces are required between your username and the dash and the title.

Don

FYI, I do not count spaces if they are there or not. I just want to see dgrin user name and a - and a title. It really doesn't matter about the spaces. thumb.gif Thank you for helping though!
    NanaMo wrote: »
    Help! It has been quite a while since I made an entry....did figure out how to get it uploaded however, when I look at the EXIF data it is not complete...have tried 2 methods of uploading with the same results. What can I do to rectify this? Thanks in advance.

Your images seem to have been taken into an editing program that has stripped your EXIF info. Probably when you resized it or cropped the image. You can read up on how to do that at this link: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1363209&postcount=609

You will need to have the original image in a gallery somewhere that shows the exif. Like a smugmug account or other photo gallery hosts. Then follow the above link. Or you can take the original and enter it without cropping. Or you can take the original image back into whatever editing program you have and do not save to web size.
  • Options
    NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2013
    JAG wrote: »
    You are to upload from your computer. The DSS challenges are on a hosted smugmug site. You did fine!

FYI, I do not count spaces if they are there or not. I just want to see dgrin user name and a - and a title. It really doesn't matter about the spaces. thumb.gif Thank you for helping though!

Your images seem to have been taken into an editing program that has stripped your EXIF info. Probably when you resized it or cropped the image. You can read up on how to do that at this link: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1363209&postcount=609

You will need to have the original image in a gallery somewhere that shows the exif. Like a smugmug account or other photo gallery hosts. Then follow the above link. Or you can take the original and enter it without cropping. Or you can take the original image back into whatever editing program you have and do not save to web size.

Thank you, I will follow the link and see if I can "fix" it. I brought it into LR as I usually do and did the cropping in there as well as some minor tweaking. I will bring the original raw file into PS and see it that resolves it. iloveyou.gif

Thank you also for responding so quickly!