Options

Announcement Of Bug Fixes

AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
edited August 30, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Hello Michael/Baldy/SM Heroes

Could we please start a sticky at the top of this forum, to announce where issues are accepted as bugs and also when they are fixed.

At the moment, there are hundreds of posts here and in the bug reporting forum, where fixes are sometimes announced within the posts.

It is really difficult firstly to keep track of what is a bug vs. where I am doing something wrong (a list of issues would alleviate this) and secondly, where there is a known issue, to know when it has been sorted out (so that I can go to my site and make the necessary changes.

I am sure that every user here would benefit from this?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 13, 2013
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited August 13, 2013
    Michael -
    It also would be helpful to update the titles of the threads in the bug report and feature request titles forums to start with "completed" or "fixed" as the features are implemented or the bugs are fixed. That would help someone searching to see if their problem / request had already been handled.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    Come on chaps.. with any new rollout, there are bound to be some issues but surely announcing corrections as they are sorted out is the absolute least that you should do for your clients.

Without this, you are asking every client with an issue to wade through hundreds of posts to find out if their issue is a known bug, or is something that they have just discovered and then wade through hundreds more mails to discover if the issue has been rectified or not - and this, they need to do for weeks, in case the issue gets resolved.

I personally think that this forum is out of control, as most people just create a new thread when they have an issue, meaning that the same issue gets reported in numerous other posts as well. There have been occasions that a Hero has reported in a thread that a specific issue has been dealt with, leaving people following the same issue reported in another posts out in the cold.

Would someone from SM please give me your comments on this.
  • Options
    johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Come on Smug surely this is a must and wouldn't be difficult or time consuming to do?
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    johnloguk wrote: »
    Come on Smug surely this is a must and wouldn't be difficult or time consuming to do?

The bones of such a system must already be in place - every time I raise an issue with the Heroes via the Helpdesk portal (http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new) the response contains a Case Number. Surely said Case Number must be in a database somewhere, all it needs is some jiggery-pokery to query the database to show us what the score is.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    uketeeceeuketeecee Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    The silence is deafening.
  • Options
    mcgilmcgil Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    please... pretty please...
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Please SmugMug announce bug fixes clearly in sticky
    Hello Michael/Baldy/SM Heroes

Could we please start a sticky at the top of this forum, to announce where issues are accepted as bugs and also when they are fixed.

At the moment, there are hundreds of posts here and in the bug reporting forum, where fixes are sometimes announced within the posts.

It is really difficult firstly to keep track of what is a bug vs. where I am doing something wrong (a list of issues would alleviate this) and secondly, where there is a known issue, to know when it has been sorted out (so that I can go to my site and make the necessary changes.

I am sure that every user here would benefit from this?

Amen!!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    ande8150ande8150 Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    It might take some work (although I would think minimal) to create and maintain a list, but I have to imagine it would save a ton of time on their end as it would greatly reduce the number of support requests. If I know about an existing issue I wouldn't need to keep emailing support over and over again for an answer (not that I am getting one). Even if the answer was that it woulnd't be fixed for some time, at least I would know they are aware of it, or that it's not sometihng I'm doing wrong.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Still awaiting your comments Smugmug, please...
  • Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Any updates tonight?
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Michael -
    It also would be helpful to update the titles of the threads in the bug report and feature request titles forums to start with "completed" or "fixed" as the features are implemented or the bugs are fixed. That would help someone searching to see if their problem / request had already been handled.

--- Denise

On a few other forums they have a prefix field at the same level as the thread description. So when you look at the description line you actually get PREFIX DESCRIPTION on one line, even though they are separate fields.

If Smug did that they could default all new threads to OPEN prefix, then when fixed they could be set by mods etc to FIXED. The prefix could then be used to determine what goes into specific searches, as well as being a useful visual aid to viewers of threads.

You could also prompt new thread creators to think about where they are putting their threads, by having specific prefixes for specific forums. A lot of people are posting threads about errors in the new Smug customisation thread - which is quite confusing.
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    JamesGPhotoJamesGPhoto Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Dgrin is extremely intimidating. Too many places to find out updates and whatnot

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4
    James Geiger M. Ed.
    "Being a photographer is not about taking a photograph, it is about being curious about life."
    ~ Jared Platt
    http://www.jamesgeigerphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    uketeecee wrote: »
    The silence is deafening.

It certainly is, and very telling their silence is. In some threads you can hardly breath without a reply from Smugmug, but these guys are the absolute masters of spin and news control. If someone posted a complimentary reply, saying how great Smug is at fixing bugs, I reckon they would reply within minutes with a big whoop and holler about how much they love their customers and how much they love it when we're happy.

For some reason Smug don't want to acknowledge this thread, presumably they have no intention of creating a place where everyone can see when bugs are fixed. Is this because they don't want us to see how long it takes to fix bugs or even how many bugs never get fixed at all? Sorry to be so cynical, but recent experiences have kicked all the positivity that I used to have about Smug right out of me ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    GarryGarry Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 16, 2013
    Bump - I fully support this request and look forward to see a comment from the smugmug team
  • Options
    AlanWilliamsPhotoAlanWilliamsPhoto Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    It certainly is, and very telling their silence is. In some threads you can hardly breath without a reply from Smugmug, but these guys are the absolute masters of spin and news control. If someone posted a complimentary reply, saying how great Smug is at fixing bugs, I reckon they would reply within minutes with a big whoop and holler about how much they love their customers and how much they love it when we're happy.

For some reason Smug don't want to acknowledge this thread, presumably they have no intention of creating a place where everyone can see when bugs are fixed. Is this because they don't want us to see how long it takes to fix bugs or even how many bugs never get fixed at all? Sorry to be so cynical, but recent experiences have kicked all the positivity that I used to have about Smug right out of me ne_nau.gif

+1
    Spot on
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Methinks that the silence says it all. As a customer, I am not too sure what to make of this.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 16, 2013
    We're working on a way to track and report them for you guys. Our internal system won't work for it. It will likely only be for the moderate to major items though, as there have been dozens of smaller changes on a daily basis for the past few weeks.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Methinks that the silence says it all. As a customer, I am not too sure what to make of this.

Aperture, I apologize for not seeing this, although I have addressed this issue in like 5 other threads. I said I was working on something to get out for you guys early next week. As Sheaf mentioned, we are fixing issues so fast, it is hard to try to maintain this list while providing support here on Dgrin. I pretty much handle everything in here by myself, so obviously it's alot of work. I am doing the best I can, but these things take time, and as much as I wish I could, I simply cannot be in DGrin 24 hours a day. For any questions, bugs, etc that you want to make sure get 100% visibility by SmugMug, please email help@smugmug.com but most likely everything will be addressed here at some point, but it won't be instant, at least until things calm down a bit. My apologies.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Thanks Michael

I would not want your job for all the tea in China right now, so apologies accepted. The fact that I obviously missed your posts in like 5 other threads, adds strength to my suggestion.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Aperture, I apologize for not seeing this, although I have addressed this issue in like 5 other threads. I said I was working on something to get out for you guys early next week. As Sheaf mentioned, we are fixing issues so fast, it is hard to try to maintain this list while providing support here on Dgrin. I pretty much handle everything in here by myself, so obviously it's alot of work. I am doing the best I can, but these things take time, and as much as I wish I could, I simply cannot be in DGrin 24 hours a day. For any questions, bugs, etc that you want to make sure get 100% visibility by SmugMug, please email help@smugmug.com but most likely everything will be addressed here at some point, but it won't be instant, at least until things calm down a bit. My apologies.

I also totally accept that you guys have an almost impossible job at the moment, but surely having a sticky thread where all bug fixes are automatically would also make your jobs easier as well as placating us? What frustrates me isn't just the never ending stream of bug and glitches since the new roll out, but the way you seem to find time to repeat and comment on posts that are complimentary to Smugmug. Many of us are at absolute breaking point with Smugmug at the moment, apologies just aren't enough anymore I'm afraid, and I hate to have to say that
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    I also totally accept that you guys have an almost impossible job at the moment, but surely having a sticky thread where all bug fixes are automatically would also make your jobs easier as well as placating us? What frustrates me isn't just the never ending stream of bug and glitches since the new roll out, but the way you seem to find time to repeat and comment on posts that are complimentary to Smugmug. Many of us are at absolute breaking point with Smugmug at the moment, apologies just aren't enough anymore I'm afraid, and I hate to have to say that

When I used to work on IBM mainframes we had a problem reporting system. It allowed anyone in the company to search for and view outstanding problems. You could even read the latest text notes on any progress made by the fixers. There clearly isn't anything like this set up in Smug, but perhaps it is something to think about for the future? It would make things run a lot smoother.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited August 17, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Aperture, I apologize for not seeing this, although I have addressed this issue in like 5 other threads. I said I was working on something to get out for you guys early next week. As Sheaf mentioned, we are fixing issues so fast, it is hard to try to maintain this list while providing support here on Dgrin.
    Michael -
    a "fix list" would be good but it would also be good to change the titles of the bug reports and feature requests to start with [fixed] or [implemented]. The problem with a list is that it doesn't come up in a search for similar items where a thread search will show the titles.

Yes, I know, that's a lot to do...

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    On a few other forums they have a prefix field at the same level as the thread description. So when you look at the description line you actually get PREFIX DESCRIPTION on one line, even though they are separate fields.

You could also prompt new thread creators to think about where they are putting their threads, by having specific prefixes for specific forums. A lot of people are posting threads about errors in the new Smug customisation thread - which is quite confusing.
    Michael -
    a "fix list" would be good but it would also be good to change the titles of the bug reports and feature requests to start with [fixed] or [implemented]. The problem with a list is that it doesn't come up in a search for similar items where a thread search will show the titles.

Denise

I think this is what I was referring to. Can we not do this to alter the status of any given thread. Would be very easy to modify each thread - just update the thread and change the prefix? http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123033 Reading the note, it seems that the facility is already there in Admin functions!
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Michael -

Yes, I know, that's a lot to do...

--- Denise

I wholeheartedly agree with Denise. At least this way, we would not have to wade through hundreds upon hundreds of posts to find out if a bug has even been accepted as a bug and what the status is.

The other thing is that it would hopefully stop the enormous amount of double/tripple etc. posting on the same issue.
  • Options
    charlesdalycharlesdaly Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Please state your problem in the Titles line
    I think it would also be helpful if folks seeking help would place a few words clearly stating the problem in the Subject of their post instead of a rant. Reading "I hate this mess" doesn't help me find a solution through all the confusion that this forum is becoming. Let's all do our bit to make this more efficient.
    Thanks!
    Thanks!
    Charles
    Port Credit. Canada
    http://charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    I edited the prefix to this thread but left it in the New SmugMug Customization forum.
    Perhaps need to move to bug forum? Not sure if actually a bug though so might should
    say only [FIXED]. Maybe better moved to feature requests forum.

[BUG FIXED] Navigation Menu - All items require links
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    IMHO, it would be helpful if folk could RTFM before starting new threads.

There's plenty of advice already here on Dgrin, on SM's various help pages and even on users' own sites, I don't understand why folk don't look through it before starting a new thread asking for advice about something that's been covered adequately elsewhere already.

Perhaps it's time for multiple threads on the same issue to be merged, it would help to stop the burying of genuinely-new issues for which there's no existing help or advice, or which are taking a long time to fix, or which are justifiably "up for discussion" while a consensus is being found.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    JamesGPhotoJamesGPhoto Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    IMHO, it would be helpful if folk could RTFM before starting new threads.

There's plenty of advice already here on Dgrin, on SM's various help pages and even on users' own sites, I don't understand why folk don't look through it before starting a new thread asking for advice about something that's been covered adequately elsewhere already.

Perhaps it's time for multiple threads on the same issue to be merged, it would help to stop the burying of genuinely-new issues for which there's no existing help or advice, or which are taking a long time to fix, or which are justifiably "up for discussion" while a consensus is being found.

No one wants to spend hours sifting through thousands of posts.....

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4
    James Geiger M. Ed.
    "Being a photographer is not about taking a photograph, it is about being curious about life."
    ~ Jared Platt
    http://www.jamesgeigerphoto.com