Options

DSS #28 - The Eastman Chronicles

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited June 30, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I actually have an idea for a shot that I like better, but all the pieces aren't in place yet, and I can't really enter an idea instead of a photo.

So anyway, I'm at the Eastman Theatre for my wife's kid brother's graduation, and for the first time in forever they don't have "Absolutely no photography" signs posted every five feet.

So here's some shots: C&C appreciated.

#1. Chandelier
569217300_C4zcf-L.jpg

#2. More Chandelier
569218113_KRvj4-L.jpg

#3. Still More Chandelier
569219944_5KahU-L.jpg

#4. Drinking fountain, baroque style
569220710_n4YWR-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    #1 is a hum-dinger! clap.gif

It's got MY vote.
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    #1 is a hum-dinger! clap.gif

It's got MY vote.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif I second that
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    #1 is my choice of the bunch. nice workthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Very nice chandelier and photo. I like #1 best :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Gorgeous capture on #1... Nice Mark...

You have me baited on that secret idea now..

what is it..???? ohhh....> do tell..:D

There is no telling what you have up your sleeve studio wise..

previously X-files,, hmm, CSI maybe? how about a hint?headscratch.gifwink

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    Ok, people like #1 -- any c&c for it? Reshoots are not possible deal.gif but post processing is. What would make it better?

@Kat -- don't want to be premature, as there are still a few things for me to puzzle out, but it'll be a pretty straightforward still life, unlike my previous entries "flashlight on eggs" or "colored water in a bottle."
    :D

There's also a landscape shot I want to try, but the weather here has not been cooperating. :cry
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    Hey Mark.. Sounds interesting.. I look forward to seeing it. You have a real knack for taking a simple and clean idea and being very creative with it...

As far as CC on #1.. yes,, it needs some punch, but just a little, if you give it too much, you will lose that natural mood to it... maybe give those squares some depth with the shadows and highlight tool in PS, the midtone contrast tool will do that for you.. it will make the squares look more chiseled.

I really like this one, it hits the theme perfectly..... thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    #1 is really a brilliant shot and well exposed. I think for me, the only c&c I would suggest is to clone the left side so that the center piece is complete and not cropped.

Other than that, Sweet!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    You don't need to do anything to this shot except upload it to the entry gallery. deal.gif The framing, exposure, etc. are all top notch. It is a very strong entry.

The only thing left that you might want to try is to apply an unsharp mask of 20/50/0 to it to add some local contrast and see how you like it.
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I love 1. Three is really an interesting find.

g
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    I love 1. Three is really an interesting find.

g

Thanks. One Two and Three are both the same chandelier. Don't know if I made that explicit.
  • Options
    Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    #1 for me too thumb.gif

That is one beautiful chandelier.

Tim
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I kinda like #3 better

... and as a native Rochesterian who spent many evenings at the Eastman Theater, this gets hometown nostalgia votes from me as well. It's so beautiful inside. I've heard that there might be some revamping/restoration budgeted for future years...

just lovely.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    I kinda like #3 better

... and as a native Rochesterian who spent many evenings at the Eastman Theater, this gets hometown nostalgia votes from me as well. It's so beautiful inside. I've heard that there might be some revamping/restoration budgeted for future years...

just lovely.

Thanks. I like #3 a lot as well.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Well, time and tide wait for no man, and I fear that the chandelier will be the picture of choice, but I have not been resting on my laurels. Here are some other images to baffle and delight you as I make my way to final submission ... C&C always greatly appreciated.

#1. Chandelier (the current favorite.)
    569217300_C4zcf-L.jpg

#2 Museum of Play (reshoot possible depending on weather.)
    571251314_8m7g4-L.jpg

#3 "That was Easy."
    571247622_Vcgra-L-1.jpg

#4. Puzzled.
    571256157_cuGun-L.jpg

#5 "52 Down."
    571256993_nA7FW-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    I keep scolling between your #1 and #2. That playground shot just draws your eyes in to exactly where they need to be if that makes sense.

That's a tough one to decide.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    wow Mark.. your making it hard to choose.....

I am loving # 2.. the color cubes.. Brian has a point..!!! they are strong and lead your eyes right to the subjects....

More space on the left between the block and circle, and some clone clean up on the pole, and super wow factor here, especially if you would be willing to mask in a layer of blue sky with fluffy white clouds...YUM.:ivar

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    wow Mark.. your making it hard to chose.....

I am loving # 2.. the color cubes.. Brian has a point..!!! they are strong and lead your eyes right to the subjects....

More space on the left between the block and circle, and some clone clean up on the pole, and super wow factor here, especially if you would be willing to mask in a layer of blue sky with fluffy white clouds...YUM.:ivar

Kat

Kat, I'd probably just reshoot. The weather this weekend was awful. This was literally me seeing a break in the clouds, dashing out of the museum and snapping away. It is an awkward vantage point to get that exact shot though ... a little off and the illusion is ruined. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    The chandelier (#1) still is my favorite. But the shot with the cubes has potential. The only nit I have with it is the bland sky. If you get a break in the weather, how about snapping a photo of the blue sky and clouds and then layering that into the photo with the cubes?
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    The chandelier (#1) still is my favorite. But the shot with the cubes has potential. The only nit I have with it is the bland sky. If you get a break in the weather, how about snapping a photo of the blue sky and clouds and then layering that into the photo with the cubes?

I'd prefer to do a reshoot now that the weather has broken. My four-year old likes going to the Strong Museum for some reason so I have an excuse to get back out there ... but it prolly won't be til Saturday. Cutting it close ...
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I like the look of #1 the best but the crop of the side concerns me, what if you took #3 and took a verticle crop out of it?
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Kat, I'd probably just reshoot. The weather this weekend was awful. This was literally me seeing a break in the clouds, dashing out of the museum and snapping away. It is an awkward vantage point to get that exact shot though ... a little off and the illusion is ruined. ne_nau.gif

Sure is a strong entry.. and so colorful too....
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    I like the look of #1 the best but the crop of the side concerns me, what if you took #3 and took a verticle crop out of it?

Here's a quicky crop of #3.
    572243880_hVQi6-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Here's a quicky crop of #3.
    572243880_hVQi6-L-1.jpg

It's a cleaner photo without the cut off but the other is more interesting due to the angle, tough call

Ok I took a longer look at them and came up with an idea, since the background is almost black you could do less of a crop from the sides and extend the background with black on the bottom blending it in. The area outside the main circle is very interesting and while the first one with the cut off does this through the vertical this way you could get it on the horizontal.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    :lurk
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    I think that this one "quicky crop of #3" is the best of all.

The composition is very well balanced, the circles are entirely there, and the whole has life,
    with the gorgeous addition of the small lights on the circle of candles.

I personally think that this is a beautiful photo - much better now than #1 thumb.gif

PS: The light and details are just fantastic.

- I wouldn't change this for any of the other shots...
    (noise comes and goes, but real value will remain)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    Thanks all for the comments. I may have to have a vote off round, as I am very more confused than normal. :booze
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    hehe.. maybe ya should start a fresh thread with just the final cuts..thumb.gif
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Yeah, I'm still on number 3.

"a break in the weather", "blue sky"... I think we're forgetting what town this is in, people, ROCHESTER! That grey sky IS a nice day :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!