Options

Winners Of Mini Challenge #90

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited March 4, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
I came home from work and fired up the "puter"
I thought I'd have a relaxing time, viewing and enjoying the shots from the MC. (Mini Challenge)
After looking through the shots .... for the 4th time, I realize that no matter how many HM's I hand out, it's not enough.

If you folks go back and look through what I post, you'll see that wildlife shots are what I do most,
and what I expected to see more than any other type of shot.
I was thrilled to see the different types of parks entered into the MC.

Enough of that, on with Winners.

After I looked through, and wrote down the shots that pretty much jumped off the page at me, I had 14 shots.
I then took a little slower look, studied them a bit, looking for a few more subtle shots that maybe
don't jump off the page, but have great stories to tie things together. I now had 18 shots.

Of the 18 shots, I keep stopping at 6 of them to study, look around, and just smile at the great photos I'm looking at.

Here is the list of of the 18 (minus the 6 placers)
The first number is the post the photo can be found, the second is the number of the photo in that post.

3 - 2
6 -2
10 - 3
20 - 2
22 - 1
26 - 3
30 - 2
37 - 3
65 - 2
68 - 1
71 - 2
75 - 2

On to the placers.

5th runner up,
Post #67, rainbow
751865512_LNEyp-M.jpg

Just a great shot of the local park. People talking, making friends, taking it easy.

4th runner up,
Post #15, OhEddie
713131030_uR8pe-M.jpg

Great shot, once again, of people getting together.

3rd runner up,
Post #14, Cuong
[IMG]http://cuong.smugmug.com/Travel/Vietnam/Vietnam-2008-Day-3-Ðà-Nẵng/cuongvn20080318IMG0289/310911621_WnDuw-L.jpg[/IMG]

This is a place I want to see. The stone, the light coming through the canopy, the people learning about the past. Thank you for posting this, I never knew it existed.

2nd runner up,
Post #22, Roaddog52
652978546_Vh7aT-M.jpg

I've been there, I've seen it, but never looking as good as it does in your shot.
The colors jump out at the viewer and don't let you leave til you've studied all the ins and outs of the shot.

1st runner up,
Post #3, nightpixels
654302481_bHtMS-M.jpg

I love the colors, the foreground, the background, the lighting, pretty much everything.
I hope you have it printed big and hanging in a room that you like to relax in.

And the Winner is......
Post #59, JerryBarton
791816900_7VwpY-XL.jpg

Every time I looked through the shots, this one stopped me dead in my tracks.
Not knowing if it's a "shot" or a composite, I'll treat it as one exposure. (if it's a composite, I don't care, it's still great)
The first thing that grabs me is the curved lines interacting with the other curved lines.
The shot screams motion, even though nothing is moving.
The soft light, and post processing is fantastic.

That's it folks.
I'd like to thank everyone that entered, commented, or just viewed the thread.
You folks are the ones that keep these Mini's going.

Jerry, You are now in charge of Mini Challenge #91.
Enjoy it.
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 24, 2010
    Nice work Dave. You had some really tough choices to choose just one!

CONGRATE JERRY! And all the runner ups! What an excellent set of images!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks Dave for considering one of mine in your top 18.
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    I really love Jerry's shot too. A real work of art. Congrats Jerry, very well done. iloveyou.gifclap.gif
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Congrats, Jerry! Excellent photo! bowdown.gif

Kudos to all of the placers! Great work! clap.gif

Well done, Dave, to get the judging finished so quickly. And thanks for the insightful discussion of the process! I'm glad you found one of mine to be in the top 18.

Thanks to all of the entrants! I enjoyed looking at your pictures. thumb.gif
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    That was a tough task to separate out the ones that you did. Great job!

Congratulations to the winner (what a vision!), the runner ups, the honorable mentions, and all the entrants as the entire group of posts were superb. And thank you for acknowledging my shot as a runner up, which was a pleasant surprise as I thought it paled next to so many of the other shots.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    I don't know when I've ever seen as many breathtaking shots as in this challenge. I don't know how you were able to pick a winner but you picked a beauty. Congrats to all! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

P.S. I OD'd on popcorn watching the show.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    JerryBartonJerryBarton Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Wow! Hey! Who'd'a thought it. Thank you very much. And congratulations to the runners up and everybody - many many more parks I would like to visit, now that I've seen your shots.

[P.S. It was a single shot]

Oh my, now I have some work to do. Cheers

Jerry
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Congrats to Jerry clap.gif, the runners-up & the rest of the top 18.
    There were some wonderful images so I am grateful that one of mine made Dave's top 18.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    It's a gorgeous image, Jerry! Well done!! You had some stiff competition, too! clap.gif

Dave, this was a great theme! I loved seeing all the entries go up. And in this tight competition, I'm very pleased that one of mine was able to catch your eye for an Honorable Mention. Thanks for the nod. :D
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Great collection of pictures and congrats the Jerry and the rest clap.gif Well done, Dave.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Wow! Hey! Who'd'a thought it. Thank you very much. And congratulations to the runners up and everybody - many many more parks I would like to visit, now that I've seen your shots.

[P.S. It was a single shot]

Oh my, now I have some work to do. Cheers

Jerry

If you get to the beautiful Pacific Northwest of the US, I highly recommend Mount Constitution on Orcas Island. You get to ride the ferry there, a treat in itself, and when you finally get to the top, there is a panoramic view of the Olympics and Cascades from Ranier all the way into Canada.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Great job Dave and congrats to Jerry! I really loved looking at all the amazing images in this challenge.
  • Options
    Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Congrats to Jerry, one of my favorites from this round. So many really good images to have had to choose from, I am glad that was Daves job and not mine. Lastly I am honored to have been selected as a runner up.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Thank you, Dave, and congrats to all.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Well done, Dave--tough work, isn't it? :D

Congrats to Jerry--I loved that shot when I first saw it too! Now each time I look I see something else. And kudos to all the finalists and HMs. Another excellent MC completed!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com