Options

Marie and Chris wedding

mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited June 18, 2010 in Weddings
Some of you may remember their e-session from last fall , and if so you will definately notice a difference in what I am posting here. I really struggled finding my "chee" yesterday. The worst case of uncle with a video camera I have ever had. And his brother, the dj, wasn't much better. Grrrrr!

So anyways, here are a few early faves,
*edit* more pics at the bottom of this page!

892443654_LhUvh-L-1.jpg

892462646_kABEB-L.jpg

892463915_xZ9sG-L.jpg

892466676_rPQj9-L.jpg

892471689_JrbVd-L.jpg

892476890_JLSfY-L.jpg

892478658_DcHfV-L.jpg

892472814_k4etN-L.jpg

892484364_mfCBk-L.jpg

892494876_AbW8n-L.jpg

11. *edit to add*
893110116_sBLNj-L.jpg

As always any c&c is more than welcome.

Matt
My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Nice job. I especially like #4 and #10.

Sam
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Really nice set. #5 is a cool shot.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Oooh... purdy! I am loving the Patrick Pike influence with the fountain shot. NICELY done! :)

Great snag with the reflection on 3!

Especially love the moment and light you captured on the last.

(Your chi looks just fine to me!)

#9.... I would ditch. You can't tell what is going on... and she looks as though she might be "picking a winner".
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Thanks Sam and SD!
    Oooh... purdy! I am loving the Patrick Pike influence with the fountain shot. NICELY done! :)

Great snag with the reflection on 3!

Especially love the moment and light you captured on the last.

(Your chi looks just fine to me!)

#9.... I would ditch. You can't tell what is going on... and she looks as though she might be "picking a winner".

You kill me Heather! "picking a winner" Ha!!!:lol4 Point noted.

Patrick had nothing to do with that shot! Has he done that before? I had no idea...yeah right! I tried to steal one of your recent ones too Heather but it wasn't great so I haven't worked it up yet.

I wanted more of that reflection but it would have involved a chair or maybe me leaning over piano... ah well.

The last one was a requested posed shot believe it or not... actually 2 shots. The expression I liked on mom and the expression I liked on the bride were never together so I cropped the brides head and massaged it into this one. That took a few hours but I am satisfied. At that point it was stress level 10, and I had about a minute to snag what I got before she took her walk down the isle. Mom has an old photograph on her wall that she purchased many years ago showing a mother ironing the brides dress while it was on the bride. I'm not sure if this looks anywhere the same, but hopefully it will be something that will hang next to the old one. I killed the lights in the room, opened the windows and shot ambient and then gave it some old-love in post.

[rant]As for my chee/chi... The jerk literally tried to take over the photo shoot. He regurgitated every cheesy cliche' imaginable all over. These two, more than any couple I have ever shot, need no direction posing. As soon as they got into it he would yell out "OK, kiss her, now look into her eyes", now put your hands on your head like "what the hell did I just do". I really really wanted to belt Uncle Ashat in the mouth like you wouldn't believe. Then he wanted to do his poses after every thing I set up. We started over an hour late. We were fighting the rain. When the rain came we hadn't even made it down to the water, and I didn't hardly get to do anything I had wanted to. We were supposed to then make a stop at a bar near the venue and then walk through downtown to the reception. We ran out of time and didn't get any of that. The whole day he was in their face shooting, jumping between the b&g and myself.[/rant]

The b&g apologized and thanked me many times for being so tolerant of him, but they are the ones who are missing out. I could have done a lot more. I should have 50 that are as good or better than these but I don't. The worst part is that the guy shot from 8 am at the salon until 11 pm or so at the reception. I'm guessing that he recorded a good 10 hours of footage. It will take years to edit that all together, so I bet he just gives them a ton of raw footage that they will watch once and never see again.

I am going to add another disclaimer to my contract over this. I have shot with video guys before and almost never see them. OK, I guess NOW the rant is over!!!

Thanks for the comments.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    wow you learn so much reading this forum! #4, I ADORE!!! I have not seen a shot like this. Beautiful, but a nit... there is a bit of flesh colored something on lower right edge of dress, it is distracting. I could see this on a thousand hallmark cards...thumb.gif I like it so much better than #5 because i like how the color pink is slightly altered in 4.
    I really like the ironing photo but the rack and plastic gown cover bugs me, that part reminds me of a dry cleaning backroom, I would try to dump it somehow, but that is just me. I think it is a very nice sentiment. The mom doing the last tiny bit to make her daughter look her best at the very last moment, her send off loving touch, something the bride could not do for her self, and it will stay perfect down the aisle until she is married, I love it.
    Nice job under such trying circumstances. Sadly for the bride and groom their polite attitude toward the uncle will cost them in missed shots by you.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Geez, dude -this is you on a "bad" day?! Wow. I can only aspire...

Particularly like the fountain shot. ANd yeah, have to say that I too looked twice at the little girl. She does indeed have a bent finger to make it clear she's simply got her hand in that position, but you do have to look (lol @HF's turn of phrase! Boy, you can tell YOU have kids rolleyes1.gif)

ETA: The iron shot is BRILLIANT!!!
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    wow you learn so much reading this forum! #4, I ADORE!!! I have not seen a shot like this. Beautiful, but a nit... there is a bit of flesh colored something on lower right edge of dress, it is distracting. I could see this on a thousand hallmark cards...thumb.gif I like it so much better than #5 because i like how the color pink is slightly altered in 4.
    I really like the ironing photo but the rack and plastic gown cover bugs me, that part reminds me of a dry cleaning backroom, I would try to dump it somehow, but that is just me. I think it is a very nice sentiment. The mom doing the last tiny bit to make her daughter look her best at the very last moment, her send off loving touch, something the bride could not do for her self, and it will stay perfect down the aisle until she is married, I love it.
    Nice job under such trying circumstances. Sadly for the bride and groom their polite attitude toward the uncle will cost them in missed shots by you.

Awe Mom! I didn't even realize that was skin tone in my frantic rush to get them some previews before the honeymoon! That is the MOH's shoulder. Grass was wet and she was holding up the dress. I saw it but though it was just a refraction of light off the water drops! I'll clone that out. The color on the umbrella and flowers will be changed back... that was another oversight on my part. This bride loves her pink and will want it true.

I couldn't agree more on the sentiment that you related to the iron shot. They dropped that on me right then and there and I was super anxious to do it for all the reasons you stated. I wish they would have sent me a photo of the actual photo so I could have planned for it and replicated it. I also agree about the hangers and plastic, but I'm not comfortable cropping it any more than it is already. There was an empty box on the right side of the frame also that I cropped out. I did a vignette and blur on the photo before cropping so it did darken that left side quite a bit from the original... any more and it would be out of place imo, and cloning it out would only make the room stark, so I think this is where it will stay. As an 8x10 it will be mostly gone but not the entire end of the ironing board, which is important to my eye, so I think it will stay as is.

divamum wrote: »
    Geez, dude -this is you on a "bad" day?! Wow. I can only aspire...

Particularly like the fountain shot. ANd yeah, have to say that I too looked twice at the little girl. She does indeed have a bent finger to make it clear she's simply got her hand in that position, but you do have to look (lol @HF's turn of phrase! Boy, you can tell YOU have kids rolleyes1.gif)

ETA: The iron shot is BRILLIANT!!!

Thanks Diva! Keep in mind they aren't all this nice, but thank you for the compliment. These are my dream clients and I really wanted so much more than I got, but such is life and I have another great couple next Saturday as well as a second shooter who was my personal wedding photog mentor. He is an awesome shooter and together we make quite the team. Last time we shot together I was as green as green can be and I was shooting 2nd for him, so I'm super pumped for that one.

Thanks for the kind words ladies!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    Patrick had nothing to do with that shot! Has he done that before? I had no idea...yeah right! I tried to steal one of your recent ones too Heather but it wasn't great so I haven't worked it up yet.
    Gosh! That sounds miserable. I have had some Uncle Bobs that make me crazy, but not too many. And they don't sound even half as bad as that.

Well that is so cool that we have two such brilliant photographers here at dgrin... I absolutely love your shot! It is amazing! When I mentioned Patrick, I was thinking of this pic.
    I have never shot a fountain... we seem to be in a shortage of them up in AK, lol.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Gosh! That sounds miserable. I have had some Uncle Bobs that make me crazy, but not too many. And they don't sound even half as bad as that.

Well that is so cool that we have two such brilliant photographers here at dgrin... I absolutely love your shot! It is amazing! When I mentioned Patrick, I was thinking of this pic.
    I have never shot a fountain... we seem to be in a shortage of them up in AK, lol.

Oh no! You missed the sarcasm in my post Heather! Of course that is a 10 ripoff!!! I should have credited him in the original post! I didn't even have to click the link to know what shot you are speaking off and I'm pretty sure I posted a few times in that thread! I am learning here like everybody else and you better believe I learn from Patrick! He did it here another time last winter. I bow to Patrick and he knows it!bowdown.gif

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Matt, these are cool.

love the water in 4, great perspective on 8, and 11 is just great!
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Well heck yeah I recall their e-photos! Those were straight-up amazing. Some of my alltime favorites.
    As for these, I think 4 and 11 are my faves.(although I would def clone or patch out that little phone jack outlet or whatever it is to the right of the mirror on #11. Just me maybe. I despise those things) I agree with dropping #9. At first sight, it really does look like she's...well, you know. In fact, even after I know she's not, when I go back and look, the assumed image is in my mind.
    I really love bright umbrella wedding photos, and you really nailed a good one. Overall, I think you did great, and I'm jealous you got to shoot such a cool couple.
    Rock on!
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    1 8 10 11 for me.
    Looks like a fun couple.
    I love the brides look in the ironing shot....says it all.
    You have a lot more patience than I do.
    I would have had that "uncle" in the back room hashing it out.....
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    1 8 10 11 for me.
    Looks like a fun couple.
    I love the brides look in the ironing shot....says it all.
    You have a lot more patience than I do.
    I would have had that "uncle" in the back room hashing it out.....

Thanks Z!

Maybe I am winning in the patience department, but you certainly have a lot more sense than I do! That is what I should have done, though I'm not sure it would have mattered. I did tell him before the first dance that I didn't want to see him, and that he had to stay behind me and shoot. For my dance shots I like to shoot some close, some wide, and a lot of them with crowd in the negative space. We all know how it is... you can shoot 1000 first dance shots but only a few are going to have both faces with pleasing expressions! Other than his video light in my face a few times and him in only 1 or 2 pictures, that part of the day was fine.

I wasn't sure on that dip shot, so I'm glad you noted that one as quality. I was looking for something a little different so I shot low and long and then cropped a bit to fill the frame. You are also reaffirming to me that I did the right thing photoshopping the iron shot. I hate to do that kind of thing but she wasn't into the shot at that point and mom was trying to be June Cleaver on most of them. I feel like a cheater doing this but when the customer gets what they want it is all good.

Just for fun here is the original , and the one I took the crop of the bride from. Even with switching out the reflection in the mirror this wasn't that tough to do. She ended up a little taller and I added about 6" to the height of the mirror, but that chalks up to wide angle distortion!!! Ha!

895379327_AV8fE-L.jpg
    895378403_n7asr-L.jpg

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Sorry for taking so long Matt..been away and it's hard to catch up with threads.

#4 rocks my world. That shot dude has "magazine" written all over it. #8 is a real nice comp and look. #10 is a nice shot and I think could really make a statement beyond black and white. Hope things are well with you and you're staying busy.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    Forgot to acknowledge Weasel and Cj before, so thanks guys. I'm really glad people are liking the dip shot. I was pretty sure that 4 and 11 would get some attention but it is nice to know the others have some merit too. Weasel, the outlet doesn't really bother me, but I get your point and may pull it out after I get a chance to stare at it some more. For the record, the little girl saw me trying to take the shot and then covered her face and hid behind her dad. Then she peeked out and that is when I shot. The nose picking thing never occurred to me since I remembered it only as a cute moment. The customer already has this one so it isn't getting pulled from their set, but for reasons stated above I'm sure it won't ever fine a home on somebody's wall.

Swartzy wrote: »
    Sorry for taking so long Matt..been away and it's hard to catch up with threads.

#4 rocks my world. That shot dude has "magazine" written all over it. #8 is a real nice comp and look. #10 is a nice shot and I think could really make a statement beyond black and white. Hope things are well with you and you're staying busy.

Thanks Swartzy! No worries friend, we don't work off of any time-lines, but very glad you stopped in. Those are some mighty kind words coming from you. Thanks for the comments. Please explain to me what you are thinking on #10? I'm not sure I am following you.

I am staying quite busy for now. I'm trying to get these done by the 14th and I have another one, a 2 shooter gig, that I shoot Saturday and will want that done by the first part of July. I leave to go to FL on the 21st to take care of my Dad while my sister's family is in WY, so it's gonna be a busy few weeks for sure. I would love to say I'm shooting every weekend between now and winter but that isn't quite the case unfortunately.

Dropping this set, and another 8 or so shots on the couple 2 days after the event and a day before they go out of town only added to their already fevered desire to convince the people of Fond Du Lac, WI that I am the best wedding photographer on the planet. Now we all know that isn't true, but it certainly won't hurt for next year! They have been gushing on me since last fall when we did the e-shoot, and I know I will be getting business as a result of them. In every way these are the perfect clients.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    This is a terrific series, Matt. Kudos for your patience with Uncle Interruptus.

Funny, but you know what grabbed my attention before anything else in the series? How bright, crisp, and sharp #2 is. Was the church brightly lit, or were you using one of those lenses that costs more than my car and can almost see in the dark?

Is that the groom playing piano in #3? I can't really get a clear view at his face in the other shots; he's got his face plastered to his lovely wife in all of them! (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

I've got to go against the tide on one thing, though - I really like the concept of #4, but if it were mine I wouldn't be 100% satisfied with the final product. I LOVE the idea of shooting through the fountain - and you better believe I'll be trying it next time I'm shooting somewhere with a fountain available - and you got perfect pose and framing, but... it's too much water. It blocks a little too much of the b&g. Still, it's a great shot and the b&g will certainly select it as one of their faves.

My fave of the series is the Dip Shot, #8. Perfect in every way, IMHO, and a real magazine cover/advertizing staple shot. If you can get away with making your watermark a bit larger, in the same spot, that pic would be the perfect choice as a cover photo for your portfolio, or your printed brochure materials, or even your business cards. I think it's that good.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    This is a terrific series, Matt. Kudos for your patience with Uncle Interruptus.

Funny, but you know what grabbed my attention before anything else in the series? How bright, crisp, and sharp #2 is. Was the church brightly lit, or were you using one of those lenses that costs more than my car and can almost see in the dark?

Is that the groom playing piano in #3? I can't really get a clear view at his face in the other shots; he's got his face plastered to his lovely wife in all of them! (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

I've got to go against the tide on one thing, though - I really like the concept of #4, but if it were mine I wouldn't be 100% satisfied with the final product. I LOVE the idea of shooting through the fountain - and you better believe I'll be trying it next time I'm shooting somewhere with a fountain available - and you got perfect pose and framing, but... it's too much water. It blocks a little too much of the b&g. Still, it's a great shot and the b&g will certainly select it as one of their faves.

My fave of the series is the Dip Shot, #8. Perfect in every way, IMHO, and a real magazine cover/advertizing staple shot. If you can get away with making your watermark a bit larger, in the same spot, that pic would be the perfect choice as a cover photo for your portfolio, or your printed brochure materials, or even your business cards. I think it's that good.

Thanks Will! I appreciate the kind words. I put the church shot in just to show the room. It was very bright in there, and was shot with a 24-70 f2.8L , which would maybe fund an 83 chevette but not much else! The sky was cloudy and overcast, a "not a sky in the cloud" kind of day. I wonder how tough the lighting would have been with direct sun... that may have been a tough room! Glass all over, front to back... GORGEOUS church!

That is the groom playing piano. He and the bride are both pro musicians and she does some acting as well. At cocktail hour they had a Jazz quartet playing and after dinner they fired it back up and the groom sat in, and then 2 of the groomsmen threw down as well. They are both super talented and many people there were singers and musicians. The most musically talented wedding party I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing.

As for the fountain shot I have to agree with you. I shot it a few different ways, and you see basically the first and last shots here. I should have done somewhere in the middle of the two comps and I don't think I did. Not to make excuses but this is me really trying hard to keep my cool and not flip out on the uncle. I also didn't get any non-kissing shots here because he was trying to direct them as I was struggling to find focus through the water. I still like what I got, and it is already in my portfolio, but I agree that it could have been better still. I'll shoot this again and do it a little different. I actually copied Patrick's technique like this once before here and did what you are suggesting. In most ways that isn't as strong an image, and it wasn't even from a wedding, but from the standpoint of the water it was better.

thanks for the comments Will.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    Here are a few more for anyone interested.

12. The best man. I'm not sure what my deal is on the past 2 weddings, but I chopped the bottom of details off a lot more than I normally do. I was also having problems with slight tilting more so than normal. Going from the 5d to the 5d mkii. Maybe there is a difference in the 5d mkii viewfinder, or maybe just me! I like this one either way but it could have been better.
    903614546_8LfsP-L-1.jpg

13. This is another one from the iron seies... I'm not sure I don't like this one better than the first one I worked up. Distractions on the edges but they would be gone as an 8x10.
    903681812_hCwbM-L-1.jpg

14. Both bride and groom wrote songs for each other, recorded them, and put them on ipods to give as presents just before the wedding. She was laughing and crying as she listened.
    903698152_YhUKi-L-1.jpg

903840308_V7fcH-L-1.jpg

16. Mother of the bride
    903848806_Zy2Gq-L-1.jpg

904018571_JGUgc-L.jpg

18. I really didn't think they would do it! notice how the pink umbrellas made a mess of the skin tones on their faces... mental note.
    903936260_Xyh4C-L.jpg

19. This is another shot from the fountain. By pushing the blacks a little harder I was able to get a little nore detail on the couple. this didn't work as well on the original one I posted.
    903977444_dGwUv-L-1.jpg

20. Again from the fountain with a little different perspective on the water
    903979724_ozyyK-L.jpg

21. One of Marie's Aunts.... Love the expression but not sure about the $20 in the lower right! Ha!
    904093062_wXY7x-L.jpg

22. The video uncle actually helped me here with a little hair lighting.
    904306925_HSnEo-L.jpg

904318430_JisAK-L.jpg

24. God I love this bride! she is so expressive.
    904324663_EGeo9-L.jpg

I guess that is it! Thanks again for looking.

Matt

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    More nice shots, Matt.

Lately, I've been on a "square crop" kick, and I think a number of this batch would work very well in square - #14 to get rid of the boring empty space on the right #15 to concentrate on just the ceremony; #21 tight on her face, her hand, and the flower; and #23, again to concentrate the frame on the subject.

#19 is definitely an improvement over #4.

I'm kinda thinking that #20, which is a fountain shot, would work better as either a square or portrait crop, eliminating the fountain altogether. Cropping tightly in portrait orientation, with the sides coming very close to their backs, would be a nice, "intimate moment" shot, I think. But I'm just spitballing; I'm more of an armchair quarterback than an actual photographer, so you can take my C&C with a big grain of salt.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    More nice shots, Matt.

Lately, I've been on a "square crop" kick, and I think a number of this batch would work very well in square - #14 to get rid of the boring empty space on the right #15 to concentrate on just the ceremony; #21 tight on her face, her hand, and the flower; and #23, again to concentrate the frame on the subject.

#19 is definitely an improvement over #4.

I'm kinda thinking that #20, which is a fountain shot, would work better as either a square or portrait crop, eliminating the fountain altogether. Cropping tightly in portrait orientation, with the sides coming very close to their backs, would be a nice, "intimate moment" shot, I think. But I'm just spitballing; I'm more of an armchair quarterback than an actual photographer, so you can take my C&C with a big grain of salt.

I do appreciate your comments Wil, but I wholeheartedly disagree with your comments about cropping. It is all about the negative space for me. To my eyes, shots that show only the subject are boring and snapshotty unless they are otherwise stellar or close cropped. If I have 1 thing that is definable as my style, that is it. I leave 99% of my shots in the original 2x3 format to allow for more options in printing and to allow for better use of the negative space. To me it is the difference between a 20 year old TV and a nice HD flatscreen.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    Geez mmmatt... 22 is sooo gorgeous. I love that shot.

Really REALLY nice set. I would be proud to have all of those shots in my port.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    Geez mmmatt... 22 is sooo gorgeous. I love that shot.

Your just saying that so I don't spend my profits from this one on putting out a hit on the Uncle. :D
    Really REALLY nice set. I would be proud to have all of those shots in my port.
    Ahhh... have you seen your portfolio Ms. Feather? Not quite there yet but I'm working on it.

thanks for the kind words.

Matt
    My Smugmug site