Options

Senior Project with Jeff Part 3

SeniorMattSeniorMatt Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited December 31, 2011 in People
Hey guys! This is my latest shoot with Jeff taken just before Christmas. Let me know what you think with some C&C Thanks!

These were shot with a Canon XTi and the 17-55 and 70-200 lenses borrowed from Mr. Jeff.

i-Qx7xHtb-XL.jpg

i-MBWnXsv-XL.jpg

i-Vt2MVqX-XL.jpg

i-rfvSPXj-XL.jpg

i-F7z4LQz-XL.jpg

6 Mr Jeff's favorite from the set.
i-d2Tz75B-XL.jpg

7 My favorite from the set. Mr Jeff says the XTi and Canon 17-55mm F2.8 lens are a lethal combination!:wink
i-Mkt6nnK-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    ...and here are links to previous posts involving Matt's Senior Project....

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1700910#post1700910

....and a link to my photos from this same shoot....
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1718580#post1718580
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    Matt, you have made a large improvement with this set, congrats on that. Now for cc.........unless you were going for a particular special effect you have some issues with focusing, exposure, direction of light and posing. Now don't read this too harsh as I've seen alot worse from folks who have been doing it longer and calling theirselves professionals. Your corrections will come with time, practice, classes and observations. I'm judging this as a professional and not a beginner. As a beginner we are satisified with just ok but we should strive for the best.

You seem to have a eye for this which is over half the battle. Anyone can make an exposure but you've gone further with posing and expression. With just some tweaking you can make all of these into outstanding photographs. If you work on the posing and light direction you can be a force to be reckoned with.

Some cc.....#1 she seems to be standin flat footed, adjust the feet to get a female form to the body and shoulders. She should be turned to get the light coming in over the other shoulder to give her more shape to her face and a short light pattern. Watch out for the hair behind her neck her right side. Hands are too heavy in her pockets and that is flattening her form. Most ladies want to be posed softly.

in 2 and 3 girls don't generally lean on something.......3 looks more feminine than 2. In 3 lower her hands more on her hips than her waist line to accent the form and elongate the body. Would have been cute to have her do that feminine foot position that you see in the movies with her forward knee pointed in an up on her toe.

5 & 6 are killers with just alittle more adjustment. Next time get her weight forward and not leaning on her back( a guy pose). Girls don't grab their knee they just lay their hand on the leg. (claw effect). Lower the front leg and raise the back leg (reverse of what you've done) lessens the up your skirt shot and shows off more form.

Again, trying to help you better yourself. These shots are well above average and I say again with more learning you will be a force in phtography.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    6 is my favorite as well. I am a sucker for black and white and also negative space. Great boots!
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    Definite improvement, and since I'm just a listener when it comes to posed work, I can echo Hackbone in saying only that you certainly seem to have a knack for what you're doing.

#5 is a clear winner, I love black and white of course.
  • Options
    xposureproxposurepro Banned Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2011
    B&W are my favorites.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    btw a quick and easy way to get a lady to look more lady like in a standing pose,,simply ask them to put their weight on one foot and let the ball of the other foot rest on the ground. (the back of the foot now is raised off the ground a touch). This brings the knee up a touch as a result. It instantly adds a touch of "S" in their pose and looks more "girly" and just as important it "feels" more girly to the subject which lets them relax.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    Really like 5 and 6; the poses, the processing, everything.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2011
    Great improvement. You have a good eye and a good teacher.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2011
    Matt

Looking at these again I am really happy with the way the light worked out. Even though we only used natural light, several look as if fill flash was used. For me, that is further proof about how important it is to ensure that your location is shady AND well lit with DIRECTIONAL lighting.

I think the biggest improvement on Cassandra's set would have come from a few degrees warmer weather. She was freezing, and then hid her shyness in that big ole jacket. You still got some great looking shots.thumb.gif

I'm proud that you were able to jump straight through exposure setting and right to self critique during the shoot.....improving on your own accord while you shot.

THAT'S how we roll!!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2011
    #7 is just KILLER. What is indeed impressive in all of them is the use of light - they all have flattering "chiaroscuro" which brings out her features. Well done! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    #7 is just KILLER. What is indeed impressive in all of them is the use of light - they all have flattering "chiaroscuro" which brings out her features. Well done! clap.gif

You are sooo right.

...and on #7......do ya think it looks like a ....dare I say..."Yuri" shot?

thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

I do!

...and BTW...the 17-55 paired with the 50D has never...EVER...approached that kind of image quality.