Options

Bugs

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited October 15, 2004 in Wildlife
I decided to get out the extension tubes today and go for a walk.

I was looking for little things and here is what i found.

8127183-M.jpg

8127179-M.jpg

8127188-M.jpg

8129320-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited September 9, 2004
    I was really hoping for some comments on these, it was my first attempt at shooting small insects.
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2004
    Hi Brian! Great stuff! I really like #1. Because of the matching colors (girl's oppinion :D) and the shallow DOF. It makes the bug stand out from the surrounding. #3 is great too, also like the flowers he's on.
    It must be difficult to focus, these things move fast!
    I would'nt say this was your first attempt..they look really cool! thumb.gif Inspiring also; i'm going to check out some spiders in our garden..
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I was really hoping for some comments on these, it was my first attempt at shooting small insects.
    Blame it on the flakey read/unread flags. I did not even see these until now.

Very impressive, with great depth for the amount of magnification. Extension tubes were my first accessory purchase. If you can tell us the focal lengths of the lens(es) and the size extension tubes you were using.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I decided to get out the extension tubes today and go for a walk.

I was looking for little things and here is what i found.

Hi Greap.. I did'nt see these either! I love the colors.. specially the first one, I wish his little body was all there tho, it's cropped a bit on the edge..makes me want to get out and look for bugs now..:D
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2004
    Looking at them again, not sure what it was at first..there's one thing that makes them a bit unnatural and that's the flash reflected on them..is there something like an adjustment layer where you can tone that down with a little? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2004
    I'm not sure what combo of tubes I had on at the time, I used a couple of variations so which variation is which I dont know. I have the set of three Kenko auto extension tubes and I used the pop up flash on my D100. I think the only way to eliminate the flash would be either to use a much higher ISO and shoot natural light, or buy a flash ring designed for this sort of thing. I think they give better results because the light is nearly omni-directional. I dont do enough of this sort of thing to warrant the expense as of yet, maybe someday.

I shot them with a sigma 28 to 80 zoom on the extension tubes. The zoom has a macro mode and it gives nice results but useing the tubes with it in normal mode gives more magnification. Using the tubes with it in macro mode does not seem possible. I think it reduces the depth of feild to a negative number 1drink.gif
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    Possibly a small sheet of diffusion paper taped over the flash would do the trick Reaper?? It'd probably give you just the right amount of light while shooting that close. If its still too much then you could double it over. I've never tried it on insects, but it's worked nicely in the past for me. It's worth a go.
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    osprey lynnma
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Greap.. I did'nt see these either! I love the colors.. specially the first one, I wish his little body was all there tho, it's cropped a bit on the edge..makes me want to get out and look for bugs now..:D
    jwear wrote:
    Thats a great shot of the osprey i have tried on several trips to get one in the wild but no last time was at a fishery and i saw him or her over head but with my camera at the time missed the p/u at water level.Thanks again for the help on last challenge and i did keep my word and
    released the bee but that bee is not too smart rolleyes1.gif J
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    GREAPER wrote:
    Uh, Greaper................ re your insects. They have an exoskeleton. (sp?)
    I canot stand anything whose insides are held together by a hard casing.

The grasshoppers in biology, I could not touch them without screaming. The better your bugs are the less I am going to be comfortable looking at them. I did the biology lab grasshoppers with tweezers.

The first, actually the last shot I saw of your bug, it looked nice and clear and colorful, smile...................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    Bugs eeeek!
    Hi Brian,
    I just spotted this thread. With all the talk of night shooting and RAW etc. I must have missed it. I like number 3. He's the most colorful and his whole body is in the picture. Great creepy bugs you have there. Um, what's an extension tube?
    Snappy
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2004
    Extension tubes are an accessory to increase the magnification (close up) of your normal lenses. They have no glass in them they just move your lense's glass farther from the "film Plane"Here is a link that explains them:

http://www.toledo-bend.com/gallery/index.asp?request=ExtTube
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Extension tubes are an accessory to increase the magnification (close up) of your normal lenses. They have no glass in them they just move your lense's glass farther from the "film Plane"Here is a link that explains them:

http://www.toledo-bend.com/gallery/index.asp?request=ExtTube
    jwear wrote:
    thanks in looking up the tubes from your info also found much more thanks again there is an article in the same mag. as you ref. in archives under flowers gives a good explain on the types thanks again Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2004
    More Bugs!
    Just to add to the collection of bugs..

MainFragger
  • Options
    More Bugs
    Just to add to the collection of bugs

MainFragger
  • Options
    More Bugs!

MainFragger
  • Options
    More Bugs!

MainFragger
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    whoa, greaper!
    holy moly these are good! bowdown.gifclap.gif

i'm very very impressed with those of you who do macro stuff. i've not yet gotten into that and i want to.

one of these days!

congrats, man, on a fine fine set of pitchas!

thanks so much for sharing.

andy
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2004
    Here's a few recent bug pics from a walk I took this month thru an area called the "Pods" that is part of the wetland preserve behind my housing developement.
    I was actually taking a pic of the flower when this little guy decided to get in on the act!
    P9010097.jpg

Not sure what kind of bug this is, looks like a "modified" dragonfly
    P9010114.jpg

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2004
    Thanks Andy,

Great shots fragger n rocket. Love the ants, I haven't got an ant yet.

Sometimes the close up shots are a fun thing to do when you are having trouble finding interesting things to shoot. It makes you take a little more time and look a little closer at things.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited September 17, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Uh, Greaper................ re your insects. They have an exoskeleton. (sp?)
    I canot stand anything whose insides are held together by a hard casing.

ginger
    Are you saying you do not like shrimp or lobster Ginger??????:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    GREAPER wrote:
    Thanks Andy,

Great shots fragger n rocket. Love the ants, I haven't got an ant yet.

Sometimes the close up shots are a fun thing to do when you are having trouble finding interesting things to shoot. It makes you take a little more time and look a little closer at things.
    Your shots of smaller insects were very good, Greaper. Nice color balance, slightly cool perhaps, but crisp and detailed.

Macro is a nice way to shoot on days when it is overcast or midday when the light is not good for scenics. I play at shooting butterflies, but I have a book on composition where they recommmend shooting in a junkyard for macro shots. I'll have to give that a try. This is my only macro of a non-organic subject....

6969514-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Fantastic texture on that hook.

You have to look small when you are out shooting macro. There are interesting shots everywhere, It is hard to train yourself to see them.

I am still working on it.
  • Options
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2004
    Nice bug shots Greaper. The flash is a little harsh, but you were able to get great depth of field & sharpness. Are you familiar with a Sto-fen Omnibounce flash diffuser? www.stofen.com It works pretty well and is inexpensive.

Here is a dragon fly using natural light. Its tough to get the DOF you need without a flash though.

I was trying out my new 100-400 with a 2x convertor ( 900mm equiv).
    Interesting way to shoot "macro".

8663512-L.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2004
    You did pretty well with it, the background is nicely blurred and the "bug" is in nice focus, only the far wing seems really out of focus but not so much it "dissappears", nice shot.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    You did pretty well with it, the background is nicely blurred and the "bug" is in nice focus, only the far wing seems really out of focus but not so much it "dissappears", nice shot.
    Thanks. Here is another that I wish I had a little more DOF, but I really like the way the purple background looks ( it was a bunch of purple flowers)

8663514-M.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2004
    That one is extremely nice. I really like the purple background.
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2004
    Thirsty Bee
    This is a thirsty bee I caught drinking from some flowers. To date, this is the best face first bee shot I have gotten.

MainFragger
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2004
    I caught a couple wasps on a partially eaten apple this weekend (not my apple). Does the background need to be blurred out more? Should I crop out more of the apple to bring more focus on the wasps? Or just nuke it and keep trying?

9163480-L.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2004
    Thwack, I'd be tempted to play with: cropping, saturation and contrast - there might be a way to recompose the shot to make the center bee the object of attention, maybe even have the background be nothing but the apple. I don't have time to play now, so I'm whistling in the wind a bit.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au