Options

Bugs

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 29, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Here is a dragon fly using natural light. Its tough to get the DOF you need without a flash though.

I was trying out my new 100-400 with a 2x convertor ( 900mm equiv).
    Interesting way to shoot "macro".

8663512-S.jpg

I have not tried using telextenders with a 100-400 L, out of concern with loss of sharpness, but I can see that I need to be more adventurous. 1drink.gif
    The dragonflies are sharp - what aperatures were you shooting at TML? I will have to see if I can catch some butterflies this way too. The use of looong telephotos will definitely improve your backgrounds due to the extremely shallow depth of field. thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    Can I play? I havn't looked at bugs in a while...
    Thwack wrote:
    I caught a couple wasps on a partially eaten apple this weekend (not my apple). Does the background need to be blurred out more? Should I crop out more of the apple to bring more focus on the wasps? Or just nuke it and keep trying?

9163480-S.jpg

Hi Thwack,
    I had a little time to play. Hope you don't mind if play with your bees. I tried a little crop and contrast with a tiny bit of desaturation to lighten the yellow on the apple.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    snapapple wrote:
    Hi Thwack,
    I had a little time to play. Hope you don't mind if play with your bees. I tried a little crop and contrast with a tiny bit of desaturation to lighten the yellow on the apple.

Nicely done!! clap.gif

I tried a variety of croppings to recompose the pic, but kept feeling that it made it harder to tell what the bugs were crawling on. Keeping the little bit of apple peel showing at the top was enough to convey the image...I should've cropped out that bottom bug earlier.

It never dawned on me to rotate the picture (d'oh) but that definitely improved things considerably.

Thanks for the assist.
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2004
    This thirsty bee is really snooty...
    I might rotate this for printing purposes, but here is the original orientation...
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2004
    Bug Binge!
    Here is another bug..the bee drinking and all of the bugs I post today were shot at Wissahickon Park in PA.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2004
    Yup..more bugs
    This spider likes to throw a surprise party for his guests...
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2004
    Do you like chocolate and mousse?
    This spider does..
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2004
    This is a series...
    This is a series of three different angles one spider.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2004
    second shot of spider
    This is the bottom of the spider...
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2004
    Last shot of the spider..
    Nasty looking fangs...
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2004
    What IS this?
    It almost looks like a cute little baby green scorpion.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2004
    Still more bugs..
    I have absolutely NO idea what kind of bug this is..
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    Black and orange bug.
    This one of a few different black and orange bugs I found. I'll have more up through the week.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 12, 2004
    Wow! That's all I can say. I've got to give that a whirl.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2004
    Wow
    Wow DID NOT SEE THIS great shot
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    Which picture...
    ian408 wrote:
    Wow! That's all I can say. I've got to give that a whirl.

Ian
    Which picture are you referring to?

MainFragger
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    jwear wrote:
    Wow DID NOT SEE THIS great shot
    Which shot was that?

MainFragger
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 12, 2004
    Which picture are you referring to?

MainFragger
    All of them thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2004
    Iv'e got one of those!
    8306454-M.jpg
    GREAPER wrote:
    I decided to get out the extension tubes today and go for a walk.

8129320-M.jpg
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have not tried using telextenders with a 100-400 L, out of concern with loss of sharpness, but I can see that I need to be more adventurous. 1drink.gif
    The dragonflies are sharp - what aperatures were you shooting at TML? I will have to see if I can catch some butterflies this way too. The use of looong telephotos will definitely improve your backgrounds due to the extremely shallow depth of field. thumb.gif
    Path, sorry I didn't see your question earlier.
    F/8 1/250 ISO 400 Hand held. I hate to go above ISO 400 on my 10D, but I bet you could shoot this with ISO 800 with your setup. I used the IS. If I remember correctly it was a sunny day, mid afternoon. I was at the minimum focusing distance, maybe 10 ft. or so. I really want to get one of the macro flashes. I can't seem to get enough DOF with my 100mm macro. Maybe I could get away with a regular flash at that distance.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Path, sorry I didn't see your question earlier.
    F/8 1/250 ISO 400 Hand held. I hate to go above ISO 400 on my 10D, but I bet you could shoot this with ISO 800 with your setup. I used the IS. If I remember correctly it was a sunny day, mid afternoon. I was at the minimum focusing distance, maybe 10 ft. or so. I really want to get one of the macro flashes. I can't seem to get enough DOF with my 100mm macro. Maybe I could get away with a regular flash at that distance.

I have used a 550EX stobe or a MR-14EX Canon ringlight for many of my macro shots as a fill flash or a main flash and find that neither will really give me a small f16 aperature. The 550EX is more powerful and with a diffuser of some sort acts as a larger light source for macro work.

I just reviewed my several of my macro shots on smugmug and most of them were shot around f5.6 f7 or f8 at an ISO of 250 to 1000 with a 180 macro lens - I doubt that most flashes would help alot at the long distances with the 100-400. I have tried to get smaller aperatures too and just find it kind of challenging at times. Of course for stationary targets just use a tripod and 1/4 second but that approach will not fly for my butterlfies, they will be gone in heartbeat.

Perhaps a better approach would be to use the ringlight or the "on-camera" flash as a master and use a slave flash placed much nearer to the subect - this would probably allow you to use much smaller aperatures with the desired higher shutter speeds for flying insects. Might need and asistant to hold the slave strobe for you though

Also - many of the published photos of dragons flies are shot at sunrise while they are still chilled and motionless I bet.

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2004
    pete w wrote:
    8306454-S.jpg

Pete, you are THE MAN for bug shots. Two dandies in a row. Nice work, man. Sorry, I mean MAN.

For those who missed it, here's Pete's other peach.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2004
    I find it easier to photog the dragonflys on a real hot day at the end of the day, they seem very docile. There are fewer about in the am as they warm up.

I have a few here

http://wraight.smugmug.com/gallery/166087/2

pathfinder wrote:
    I have used a 550EX stobe or a MR-14EX Canon ringlight for many of my macro shots as a fill flash or a main flash and find that neither will really give me a small f16 aperature. The 550EX is more powerful and with a diffuser of some sort acts as a larger light source for macro work.

I just reviewed my several of my macro shots on smugmug and most of them were shot around f5.6 f7 or f8 at an ISO of 250 to 1000 with a 180 macro lens - I doubt that most flashes would help alot at the long distances with the 100-400. I have tried to get smaller aperatures too and just find it kind of challenging at times. Of course for stationary targets just use a tripod and 1/4 second but that approach will not fly for my butterlfies, they will be gone in heartbeat.

Perhaps a better approach would be to use the ringlight or the "on-camera" flash as a master and use a slave flash placed much nearer to the subect - this would probably allow you to use much smaller aperatures with the desired higher shutter speeds for flying insects. Might need and asistant to hold the slave strobe for you though

Also - many of the published photos of dragons flies are shot at sunrise while they are still chilled and motionless I bet.
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• Options
    edited October 13, 2004
    pete w wrote:
    I find it easier to photog the dragonflys on a real hot day at the end of the day, they seem very docile. There are fewer about in the am as they warm up.

I have a few here

http://wraight.smugmug.com/gallery/166087/2

Pete - I looked at your website and you do have some dynamite shots of dragonflies and some were certainly taken in the late afternoon sun light or appear to be from the color temperature and the shadows. I tried to link a few of your images to here to demonstrate their quality but you have linkage turned off.
    umph.gif
    Do not think that you can get away with only posting one image of your dragonflies iloveyou.gif - I know TML, Greaper and wxwax and I would love to see more and hear more about your techniques for the extreme close ups of the their eyes and thoraxes. deal.gif Thanks in advance

• Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2004
    Very very nice collection of d-fly pics!!! Isn't the one with the fat white body actually a damselfly instead of a dragonfly? I wouldn't swear to it, but I think that's correct...still a very cool pic.

I know some fly fishers that would love to see those pics (great models for fly tying). :)
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2004
    Thanks for looking , Its called a common
    Whitetail and it is from the dragonfly family, very similar to a damsel fly only much larger.

Thanks for your comments
    Thwack wrote:
    Very very nice collection of d-fly pics!!! Isn't the one with the fat white body actually a damselfly instead of a dragonfly? I wouldn't swear to it, but I think that's correct...still a very cool pic.

I know some fly fishers that would love to see those pics (great models for fly tying). :)
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2004
    I agree, the shots are terific. The eyes are incredible. I would love to hear how you get so close.

What are your techniques?
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2004
    I have a few
    GREAPER wrote:
    I agree, the shots are terific. The eyes are incredible. I would love to hear how you get so close.

What are your techniques?
    First i find a mid summer wetland area, spill over from a river or large lake is great. This year we had a lot of rain in the spring in Tennessee. There are two times of day i prefer for different reasons.

Early morning is good for the new hatchlings that are starting to dry their wings. However most of them look very different and have wings that are not fully unfolded or deformed. The best time is mid summer late in the day. Most of the dragonflys are resting and less timid. I approach an area where they are sitting. They will move off often as i approach but they always return. Sometimes it takes a while but in the end they will return to the same spot. Once they get used to you you can get close to some, they do have personalities , you need to find the more receptive ones.

Good huntin
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2004
    IH9T5162.jpg

Not up to par but also not macro
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    hoopihoopi Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 15, 2004
    Spidey
    Hey there! Just found this whole forum...pretty cool! Here's a macro shot of a spider I took a while back with a macro lense. I have this on my office wall at 13x19", it's fun to scare people with when they walk in and don't expect it to be there.

7511869-L.jpg