Options

Sr. Portrait advise needed!

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited April 24, 2006 in Technique
okay...anyone got advise for this? i'm doing Sr. Portraits for my brother down on the Plaza.... he wants to get some out there around 5 in alotta light... then we'll go eat and take some shots in the setting/sweet light... all i got to work with is a 430EX, a flash bracket, an Omnibounce, and a shoe cord.... any advise on poses? probably alot of brick walls, alleys and such.... its kinda a rough area on saturday nights... okay guys. i told ya what ya need to know... now tell me what I need to know...:wink

the pressure is on *for me*

Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    did i mention the shoot is tomorrow night?:uhoh...
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    did i mention the shoot is tomorrow night?:uhoh...

no sleep tonight....
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    no sleep tonight....

yeah no kiddin'rolleyes1.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    thanks Artthumb.gif

anyone else? the shoots in 3 hours.:uhoh
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    postponed for next saturday because of rain... i have another week to study-upmwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    Okay, can you pre-scout the location now that you have a week to shoot? Maybe grab us some shots of the area so we can see what you're up against???? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Okay, can you pre-scout the location now that you have a week to shoot? Maybe grab us some shots of the area so we can see what you're up against???? ne_nau.gif

i'll see what i can dothumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    Uhmmm, i am almost afraid to ask this question, since everyone else seems to know exactly what it is, maybe i need to get some coffee, but what are Sr. Portraits?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Uhmmm, i am almost afraid to ask this question, since everyone else seems to know exactly what it is, maybe i need to get some coffee, but what are Sr. Portraits?

Senior Portraits. You know, when you graduate High School.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    ivar wrote:

I was assuming Senior Citizens. Which you just need even illumination and a ziess softar or a decent soft focus photoshop action.

If it is Senior Criminals than goto Kata get a full body suit and dont make a single mistake :)

High School / College Seniors then do something fresh and edgy with colored lights. maybe a green fill on 1 side and an amber fill on the other. Then very diffused flash on the front. Something with high contrast, maybe put your flash in high key areas.

Then again if the sun is setting use that sweet golden light to fill your subject and shoot away without flash.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Senior Portraits. You know, when you graduate High School.
    Uhmmm, actually i don't know. lol3.gif So what are the photos for? any specific purpose? Over here in highschool, every year there is usually a school photographer who takes your (passport-photo-style) picture, and that's it....
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I was assuming Senior Citizens. Which you just need even illumination and a ziess softar or a decent soft focus photoshop action.
    I was thinking that too at first, but there couldn't be that much of and age difference between Daniel and his brother, could there?
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Uhmmm, actually i don't know. lol3.gif So what are the photos for? any specific purpose? Over here in highschool, every year there is usually a school photographer who takes your (passport-photo-style) picture, and that's it....

Yeah, same thing here, but the senior, graduating picture is special, and in recent years has become more special. Used to be that the only difference was that the senior pictures were printed in the yearbook in color, the rest in b/w. Now it's a big friggin' deal.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, same thing here, but the senior, graduating picture is special, and in recent years has become more special. Used to be that the only difference was that the senior pictures were printed in the yearbook in color, the rest in b/w. Now it's a big friggin' deal.
    Oh, it's become sort of a hype now? Here it isn't (yet). In highschool i never had a yearbook and no other photos than the standard ones :uhoh (not that i feel i missed anything btw)
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Oh, it's become sort of a hype now? Here it isn't (yet). In highschool i never had a yearbook and no other photos than the standard ones :uhoh (not that i feel i missed anything btw)

And yearbooks have doubled in size. It's amazing. The pressures of economics. The yearbook companies/photo studios trying to find a way to increase revenue keep upping the ante on these things.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    And yearbooks have doubled in size. It's amazing. The pressures of economics. The yearbook companies/photo studios trying to find a way to increase revenue keep upping the ante on these things.
    Yeah, when i was in the US, i saw some of my friends' yearbooks, they were huge! complete with everything you can think of. And they had one for almost every year of highschool i think

Is it made by a 3rd company? or by the school?
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Yeah, when i was in the US, i saw some of my friends' yearbooks, they were huge! complete with everything you can think of. And they had one for almost every year of highschool i think

my brother is on Yearbook *an actual class* where all they do is write stories for the yearbook.... some of my photos may get in it for certain events... i think we're aiming for around 300-400 pages this year....
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    ivar wrote:

Our school's yearbook comes with a DVD...one of the kids in the school made it, sold it to the school...quite the business head he's got.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Our school's yearbook comes with a DVD...

nod.gif Multimedia takes care of that... yearbook just sends them the whole yearbook basicly...
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 17, 2006
    is bringing a flashlight for light painting a good idea?ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    kirk voclain had a slideshow on www.hhcolorlab.com site, I don't know if it is still there, if not, I can send you some images of his, it shows more guys pics than on his site.
    Giselle
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    is bringing a flashlight for light painting a good idea?ne_nau.gif

Use some colored gels to get color out of the light and it could be real cool.....I think there has been some light painting shots on here a while ago.
    need to as close to a totally blk area as possible so you (or assistant) are not seen doing the painting.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited April 19, 2006
    Probably too late. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Reflectors. Bring if ya got 'em. Make some if you don't (think foamcore).

Show us some results when you get the chance.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Whatever you decide to do, Daniel, I hope you do some of your awesome black and whites!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Whatever you decide to do, Daniel, I hope you do some of your awesome black and whites!!! thumb.gif

if you insist:D

66133868-M.jpg

rest posted here

pssst... i'm going back out again this saturday with him and his gf...
    Daniel Bauer