Options

First portraits

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited April 26, 2006 in People
okay so me and my brother went driving around looking for places to do his Sr. Portraits... just so happens we come into the older part of town with nice buildings, parks, huge trees hanging over the roads and we find all the places we need

heres just a few from the outing... more to come once his gf can get off work.

any C&C is welcome because i'm going to be doing these for about 4 other people for Sr. Portraits and i need all the pointers i can get...
65903857-L.jpg

65903914-L.jpg

65903956-L.jpg

He brought a friend...
65906549-L.jpg

thanks,

Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Aside from the belly, which I find distracting, I like the first two quite a bit. Nice work!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Aside from the belly, which I find distracting, I like the first two quite a bit. Nice work!

thanksthumb.gif

his idea on the belly... he wanted to show off his Tattoos
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    A) It doesn't show off his tats.

B) I'm grateful it doesn't. That shot of his tats is TMI, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Good shots Daniel and I agree with David. It's been a while since I was in HS but aren't Sr Portraits usually closer crops?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    thanksthumb.gif

his idea on the belly... he wanted to show off his Tattoos
    I feel somewhat grubby...i though that was a chicks belly eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    humungus wrote:
    I feel somewhat grubby...i though that was a chicks belly eek7.gif
    lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Good shots Daniel and I agree with David. It's been a while since I was in HS but aren't Sr Portraits usually closer crops?

nod.gif normally... but he wanted something different... besides, we're going back out this thursday to the same area*ish* with his gf so i can get some more closer shots.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    KodachromeKodachrome Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    okay looking for places to do his Sr. Portraits... just so happens we come into the older part of town with nice buildings, parks,
    any C&C is welcome because i'm going to be doing these for about 4 other people for Sr. Portraits and i need all the pointers i can get..
    Daniel

...just my .02

Make a reflector out of some cardboard and tinfoil...surprizing how much a little bounce light like can wake up a photo...also many young folk have the ball caps which can make for a challenge to light...with a reflector no problem...unless your shooting day turns out to be rain...ugh!

...I have my reflector on a tripod with a ball head...could not live without it.

...you might want to put on some neutral density so you and open up the apature and get some of that forground and back ground out of focus...I finding it hard to fix my eye on the subject.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Kodachrome wrote:
    ...just my .02

Make a reflector out of some cardboard and tinfoil...surprizing how much a little bounce light like can wake up a photo...also many young folk have the ball caps which can make for a challenge to light...with a reflector no problem...

i'm gettin some foamcore for the next go.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    okay so me and my brother went driving around looking for places to do his Sr. Portraits
    The purpose and normal expectations of 'senior' portraits are entirely 'foreign' to me, so I can only judge these as portraits in their own right.

On this basis, IMHO you've done a great job. You've taken obvious care to think through the settings, positioning and composition of these shots really well and the results speak for themselves - formal shots, but still relaxed and 'natural', and definitely among the better portraits typically posted in these forums. Well done Daniel, your photography is racing ahead in leaps and bounds!
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    The purpose and normal expectations of 'senior' portraits are entirely 'foreign' to me, so I can only judge these as portraits in their own right.

On this basis, IMHO you've done a great job. You've taken obvious care to think through the settings, positioning and composition of these shots really well and the results speak for themselves - formal shots, but still relaxed and 'natural', and definitely among the better portraits typically posted in these forums. Well done Daniel, your photography is racing ahead in leaps and bounds!

thanks rossthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    here's a thought... try doing something with a non-band/artist tee

matisyahu's cool and all, but what happens if the cat sells out down the road and is best known for being completely lame... a cardinal rule, generally learned in college: maintain positions of complete future deniability rolleyes1.gif
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    here's a thought... try doing something with a non-band/artist tee

matisyahu's cool and all, but what happens if the cat sells out down the road and is best known for being completely lame... a cardinal rule, generally learned in college: maintain positions of complete future deniability rolleyes1.gif

lol my moms making him go back out again for some of the same shots but in kahkis and a polo. he's gonna hate it.:D
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    goodstart
    hi daniel

a good start

maybe try getting a little closer
    and shooting from above-below isn't usually all that flattering.

also maybe ,as he is your brother,sneak in and get a shower shot-always good fun!
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited April 25, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    lol my moms making him go back out again for some of the same shots but in kahkis and a polo. he's gonna hate it.:D

In some sense, Maty's already sold out :D But I think he's pretty cool.

Anyway, I was going to suggest that the T-shirt gives a certain sense of
    time. When your bro looks back, he'll remember the music as well as a bit
    of his time.

What you can do as the photographer is make sure he gets that plus
    some "safety" shots. Those that your mom probably wants. He can change
    up the wardrobe for a few. Alternatively, you can make some head shots
    or pose him so the wardrobe isn't quite as prominent. Give him some variety
    too. With glasses, without. Baseball cap, no baseball cap.

You get the idea.

Accepting that you need something to fix the shadow created by his hat,
    I think you picked some creative poses. Not bad.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    I really like what you're coming up with so far, Daniel. The only problem I have with this kind of portait, is I am always disappointed not to see those all-important windows of the soul.....the eyes. Can you somehow work some eye contact in their somewhere??? Otherwise, I think your black and whites are terrific!!!! :D
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    thanks greg, ian, and saurora. your feedback is always appreciatedthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    These are good for your first try daniel but here are some things to ponder on:

- every shot you showed has the subject's face in the shadow - was this intentional? If not than you really need to watch where the main light is coming from. Quality of light also matter and, here, it seems to be too harsh for good portraits. I'm sure he'd much rather have edgy, sharp shots like those of bands but you really gotta work the light. Reflectors do wonders.

- in every shot, his eyes are both far away and looking away. This would work but only if the framing is interesting or the surrounding areas has something meaningful.

Is there anything the subject sitting on a parkbench w/ trees behind him add to his character? Or sitting on stairs or standing next to a door with a reflection of his friend? It has to tell some kind of a story and i dont know if any of these really do that (except maybe his t-shirt)

Check out this guy's website... he's 15 years old and his talent far exceeds his age.
    There's mood and emotion in his images you can almost feel.

http://joeyl.com/index.html