Options

Why Right-click protecting enabled when logged in?

NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
edited August 15, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I can't even right click on my own pictures? (Or as an aquaintance of mine is fond of saying, "wrong-click"- think about it. :p )
Shouldn't "protection" no be enabled when the gallery owner is the one logged in? Is there a way I can make it work that way for me, at least?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Nimai wrote:
    I can't even right click on my own pictures? (Or as an aquaintance of mine is fond of saying, "wrong-click"- think about it. :p )
    Shouldn't "protection" no be enabled when the gallery owner is the one logged in? Is there a way I can make it work that way for me, at least?
    Thanks!

Hi Nimai,

Sorry, you'll have to unprotect, and then right click - and then reprotect - wish I had a different answer for you, but it's the only way we can ensure that the system works as intended.
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Nimai wrote:
    Thanks!

We used to have it that way, but we had lots of customers complaining (and even closing their accounts!) because they misunderstood and thought the feature was broken.

We have to somehow let you make sure the feature works and disable it when you're logged in, and we just don't know how to accomplish both.

Have any ideas?

Don
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    Have any ideas?

Have a 'owner's control box' that allows a site's owner (or licensor, not trying to get technical here) to control some universal gallery settings on-the-fly, such as: right-click protection, Original/Large sizes allowed. These controls would hopefully function as a kind of top (or last) layer; in other words, they would trump any specific gallery setting but would not actually change the settings. And, of course, these settings would only be available when the site's owner was logged in.

It might be similar to the bulk-zoom or arrange mode check boxes, but it would hopefully be universal to the site (accessable on all pages). Maybe it could be turned off or minimized at the users choice... but I don't see the need for this. Any site review layout-wise should be done while logged out and this is the only time I could see wanting to get rid of this control box.
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    We used to have it that way, but we had lots of customers complaining (and even closing their accounts!) because they misunderstood and thought the feature was broken.

We have to somehow let you make sure the feature works and disable it when you're logged in, and we just don't know how to accomplish both.

Have any ideas?

Don
    You could make it a seperate option in the Customize Gallery field & set it to work just like it does now by default. That way, the user will have to manually go in there & change it, then he/she will know that the feature works like its supposed to.

Simple.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 24, 2006
    I do not get enough traffic for this to cause me a problem. But it is irritating. During the amount of time it takes me to unprotect, download, and reprotect someone could be swiping images. (YES I know they can do that anyway) But, I also fear something happening that would cause the protection to not get turned back on. Simply forgetting, distraction, or even lost connection would mean that the protection is left off until I go back in and turn it on.

Even my firewall has an option that allows me to turn off the protection for 5 min, 30 min, or 1 hour and then it will turn on automatically.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    not arguing, just wondering
    I'm having trouble coming up with a reason that a site owner would need to use right-click. I've got my originals (around here on a DVD somewhere :):) and if I need I can use the -L link to get the same thing that right-click could give me.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 24, 2006
    The original photos are stored at home... I am at work, or home, or the fire station, or any number of places. I show photos to friends all the time that ask for me to download a photo onto their computer for a screen saver. Knowing that they are not tech savy enough to actually steal the photo I can download an S or M and use it as a background for them. To do this, I have log in to turn off the right click, save the photo, and then turn it back on.

I have the external links turned on for a lot of my galleries. But I do not on some.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    ah, thanks. that makes sense.
  • Options
    Ken CCPKen CCP Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    onethumb wrote:

Have any ideas?

Don

1) I like the two check boxs.. Right Click off for users, Right click off for Owner

2) A layer on the corner (to avoid pop-up blockers) that comes up when an owner right clicks in bright yellow and says "NOTE:Right Click Disabled for everyone but site owner"

3) I'm new so maybe you dod this.. but a "test site" button to quickly test the site without full logout to see how it appears for users.
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    Man- The teaming masses can be brutal! eek7.gif

How about a 3-way setting?

Protected?transparent.giftransparent.gifYes, always: inactive.giftransparent.giftransparent.gifYes, from the public:radio_button_clear.giftransparent.giftransparent.gifNo: radio_button_clear.gif

That might still be confusing, but the help text could explain it.

Another thought is to have the javascript popup be different if the logged in user right-clicks. Have it tell him/her that right-clicking is disabled, and ask if they'd like it enabled for them only?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Ken CCP wrote:
    1) I like the two check boxs.. Right Click off for users, Right click off for Owner
    If you want your photos to be non-right-clickable for viewers but right-clickable for you, why would you want the option to set it non-right-clickable for yourself? You can't really try to prevent yourself from stealing your own photos ne_nau.gif
    Ken CCP wrote:
    2) A layer on the corner (to avoid pop-up blockers) that comes up when an owner right clicks in bright yellow and says "NOTE:Right Click Disabled for everyone but site owner"
    I think most popup blockers will allow the right-click message to be shown (atleast mine does), since it is something the viewer initiated, the text is already customizable for (power and) pro users
    Ken CCP wrote:
    3) I'm new so maybe you dod this.. but a "test site" button to quickly test the site without full logout to see how it appears for users.
    On the bottom of your customize page, you can find a preview menu. Select the menu you want to view, et voila thumb.gif Also, if you have mozilla and the web developer extension, you can be logged out, and change your CSS, and instantly view the results!
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    here's a proposed solution:
    When an owner right clicks on a protected page, a message pops up that says something like "your photos are protected. Since you are the owner of this site, you will be able to right click. Others will not. click here if you would not like to see this message again."

thoughts?
    -w
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    onethumb wrote:

Have any ideas?

Don

Many ideas have been posted here...
    I just wanted to say is that the current setup is much more unsecure:
    - The owner wants to access his/her pics in original size.
    - The owner goes to 'customize gallery', removes the protection and allows larges and/or originals.
    - From this moment on the owner's pics are wide open for everyone... not very safe.
    - After the owner is done: 'customize gallery', add the protection again, etc.

So, for a short while, all the protection may be gone, just because the owner wanted to access an original size pic, for example... not good.

I would say, just open it up for owners. It may be good to put some explanation about this in the help section, or some other prominent section, that it only is open to the owner and not everyone else.

Basically, make the protection inherently safer (see above), but communicate better to site-owners how it all works.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    I just wanted to state that I am very interested in seeing this feature added. While the right-click protection is great - it has certaintly limited my motivation to post photos here on dgrin. As well, it has frustrated the heck out of me when I wanted to wallpaper one of my photos onto my desktop.

Smugmug - can we get an update on this feature request? Is it doable?
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    Is it doable?
    Sure it's doable. But we have many other things ahead of this. It's just so darn easy, to make a link to your photo:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/XXXXXX-L.jpg

replace smugmug with your domain if you like :D

Or enable easy sharing. We'll certainly discuss it again though, and thanks for posting!

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Many ideas have been posted here...
    I just wanted to say is that the current setup is much more unsecure:
    - The owner wants to access his/her pics in original size.
    - The owner goes to 'customize gallery', removes the protection and allows larges and/or originals.
    - From this moment on the owner's pics are wide open for everyone... not very safe.
    - After the owner is done: 'customize gallery', add the protection again, etc.
    It's secure if you click 'no' to public at the same time as taking the right click protection off and showing originals.
    Well that's how I do it ...

Dna
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 25, 2006
    use this code in your footer within a script block...
    if (YD.hasClass(document.body, 'loggedIn'))
      document.oncontextmenu = null;

David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    use this code...

Nice thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    use this code...

are you serious... this has been talked about for a long time, then you just pop up with this simple if statement! rolleyes1.gif

just like when I wanted journal large for a long time, then someone like you got interested for five minutes and created the code to do it.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    use this code...
    if (YD.hasClass('loggedIn'))

OK, so I put that code into my Javascript section --- but nothing happens. Did I miss something here?
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    An idea...
    onethumb wrote:

Have any ideas?

Don

I have the same problem with access to originals. It's fairly insecure to require me to enable originals just do I can download one myself. Much like you feel obligated to make sure user's know that image protection is working and prevent lost customers or extra support calls, you should also feel obligated to let users access their own images without requiring them to turn protection off for the public.

For right click protection, why not just leave the part of the feature in that displays a message and tell them that right-click protection is not enabled when they are logged in and then let the right-click work after displaying the message. This seems like it accomplishes both goals. It makes sure the user knows that the feature is still there, but it's currently turned off because they are logged in, it tells them how they can see it in action if they want and it lets them right click when they are logged in.

I'd like something similar for access to originals/larges when logged in so I don't have to disable my security settings just so I can get access to my own images.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    Dna wrote:
    It's secure if you click 'no' to public at the same time as taking the right click protection off and showing originals.
    Well that's how I do it ...

Dna

Also temporarily put a password in the password field. Because if you forget to go back and change it, or if someone has a link to that gallery, just making private doesn't stop a direct link.

I add a temporary password usually something like l;angoiegnbr3iog whatever 10-15 keys I hit first, then enable origs and disable protection.

Yes it takes oh about 20 seconds extra, then to undue it another 20.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2006
    You shouldn't have to take a gallery offline just to get at the originals securely
    bham wrote:
    Also temporarily put a password in the password field. Because if you forget to go back and change it, or if someone has a link to that gallery, just making private doesn't stop a direct link.

I add a temporary password usually something like l;angoiegnbr3iog whatever 10-15 keys I hit first, then enable origs and disable protection.

Yes it takes oh about 20 seconds extra, then to undue it another 20.
    But, the whole point is that the site owner ought to be able to access their own images without "taking the gallery offline". I want viewers to continue to be able to view images. I don't want to break online postings, etc... just because I want to download an original size myself. This is clearly a missing feature.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    But, the whole point is that the site owner ought to be able to access their own images without "taking the gallery offline". I want viewers to continue to be able to view images. I don't want to break online postings, etc... just because I want to download an original size myself. This is clearly a missing feature.
    I agree that it would be very convenient for me to be able to access originals and to disable right click protection while I'm logged in. I'm not unsympathetic to the real concerns that onethumb brought up. Perhaps this is a feature that could be turned on in the control panel. An option that is turned off by default and comes with a note in the help page.

• Options
    edited August 26, 2006
    Mike, do you think this would work?
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I agree that it would be very convenient for me to be able to access originals and to disable right click protection while I'm logged in. I'm not unsympathetic to the real concerns that onethumb brought up. Perhaps this is a feature that could be turned on in the control panel. An option that is turned off by default and comes with a note in the help page.

Mike, what do you think about just telling the logged in user when they try to right-click or when they access originals that this feature is only enabled because they are logged in and solve onethumb's concerns that way? If I read onethumb's issues right, he was concerns about logged-in users not thinking that one of the protection features was working and thus thinking Smugmug was broken or calling support because they thought it wasn't working. If they were somehow told, when they accessed the feature, that it's only available because they are logged in, wouldn't that address both concerns.

For right-click protection, they could leave in a modified right-click protection message that communicates that this is only active because they are logged in, but let the right click action work.

For originals, they'd have to find some similar way of doing that. It could also be a pop-up JavaScript prompt like the right-click prompt or it could be some extra visible text on the page that displays the original or it could be a new menu item that shows in the photo commands drop-down that isn't in the normal non-logged in UI that lets you get to the original.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    OK, so I put that code into my Javascript section --- but nothing happens. Did I miss something here?
    Ryan,

You need to put it in the footer enclosed in a script element. You can use an existing script element if one exists.
    Note, I also had a mistake in my code, but i have modified my original post.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    are you serious... this has been talked about for a long time, then you just pop up with this simple if statement! rolleyes1.gif

just like when I wanted journal large for a long time, then someone like you got interested for five minutes and created the code to do it.

thumb.gif

sorry dmc lol3.gif

seriously i haven't come across people asking for this before, otherwise I would have already suggested it :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    sorry dmc lol3.gif

seriously i haven't come across people asking for this before, otherwise I would have already suggested it :D

Will that mean that we won't have to enable originals to use BZT?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Mike, what do you think about just telling the logged in user when they try to right-click or when they access originals that this feature is only enabled because they are logged in and solve onethumb's concerns that way? If I read onethumb's issues right, he was concerns about logged-in users not thinking that one of the protection features was working and thus thinking Smugmug was broken or calling support because they thought it wasn't working. If they were somehow told, when they accessed the feature, that it's only available because they are logged in, wouldn't that address both concerns.

For right-click protection, they could leave in a modified right-click protection message that communicates that this is only active because they are logged in, but let the right click action work.

For originals, they'd have to find some similar way of doing that. It could also be a pop-up JavaScript prompt like the right-click prompt or it could be some extra visible text on the page that displays the original or it could be a new menu item that shows in the photo commands drop-down that isn't in the normal non-logged in UI that lets you get to the original.

Um, yeah I think that'd work too. I really don't know which would be better but I think they both offer the chance to have the features while making sure people understand them at the same time.

• Options
    edited August 26, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    If they were somehow told, when they accessed the feature, that it's only available because they are logged in, wouldn't that address both concerns.
    In the past, we've seen that this is not the case. We have to balance out adding such functionality with the many, many help mails we'll get each day :D