Options

Why Right-click protecting enabled when logged in?

2»

Comments

• Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    use this code in your footer within a script block...
    if (YD.hasClass(document.body, 'loggedIn'))
      document.oncontextmenu = null;

Dev any way to add to this caode so that originals would be available when logged in also ? (I have them turned off for viewers)... Then the BZT hack would work even better....
  • Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    Cheesy hack: make a copy of the photo and put it into a private gallery with originals turned on and right-click protection turned off. Yeah, people would briefly see a second copy, and it is more work.

By the way, I'd like to see an option to make a copy of an image and put it into another gallery at the same time.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 26, 2006
    Dev any way to add to this caode so that originals would be available when logged in also ? (I have them turned off for viewers)... Then the BZT hack would work even better....
    nope, that's a different animal.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    use this code in your footer within a script block...
    if (YD.hasClass(document.body, 'loggedIn'))
      document.oncontextmenu = null;

I tried this code. It does indeed kill the right-click javascript popup, however spacer.gif is still the image that is saved so I don't think this solves the problem.

Currently my workaround is to make a 2nd copy of the photo and move it to a private, password protected gallery with originals turned on and right-click turned off.

With that said, I think two new photo tools commands "Copy Photos" / "Copy Photos (Expert)" should be added to make and move a copy of any photo to a new gallery... off to the enhancement thread...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    enigmaticenigmatic Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited August 29, 2006
    It seems that you could have an owners section that was expandable when the owner was logged in. It would include all disabled features (view original, save file, quick links) As long as you could get to quick links... you wouldn't even need to ever enable the right click.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    One simple solution for all
    enigmatic wrote:
    It seems that you could have an owners section that was expandable when the owner was logged in. It would include all disabled features (view original, save file, quick links) As long as you could get to quick links... you wouldn't even need to ever enable the right click.
    I agree. This is similar to what I suggested because there already is an owner's section. It's called the two popup command lists labelled "tools". Why not just put "View Original", "Save Photo" and "View Links" in that owner's menu. Then they would always be available to the owner even if you had originals disabled and right-click protection and link sharing off.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    I didn't read the whole thread (what with a 16 month old on my lap!) and I may be repeating someone elses idea, but when I need to have access to images and dont' want to mess with unprotecting and reprotecting, I will just make a copy and move the photo into a hidden category. Or, if I know I'll want access, I'll just upload them twice - once into a protected gallery, once into my personal hidden one. Then when I'm done, I'll just delete them. I'm the only one who even knows about the hidden gallery so it doesn't matter what it looks like or anything.

Just a thought.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    I'm having trouble coming up with a reason that a site owner would need to use right-click. I've got my originals (around here on a DVD somewhere :):) and if I need I can use the -L link to get the same thing that right-click could give me.

maybe u want to post a link to 1 of your pics at maybe nikoncafe.com and you need the url
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    maybe u want to post a link to 1 of your pics at maybe nikoncafe.com and you need the url
    I guess, though I think it's pretty easy to figure out - site.smugmug.com/photos/photonumber-L.jpg
    so http://www.miltonpix.com/gallery/1271118#59649011 just becomes www.miltonpix.com/photos/59649011-L.jpg - it's easy.
    ne_nau.gif