Options

Saying goodbye to Moofaly Doofaly

digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
edited April 8, 2007 in Wildlife
A few years ago, I had the honor of posting shots of my superbly handsome kitty named Moofaly Doofaly. This story is about a journey, one of love and loss, and coming to peace with the hole left in my heart.

Over four years ago I met a sweet guy online and much to my surprise we fell in love pretty fast. Life, however, had a different plan and that involved him moving to Indiana while I was going to stay in the mountains of NC. But he had this awesome orange tabby named Moofaly Doofaly. We took to each other right away, which is pretty biased of me, because Moofaly is much like a dog, there was never a lap he was afraid to sit on!

When the boyfriend left, he decided to leave Moofaly with me, so that I could soothe the heartache with sandpaper kisses.

A couple of years ago, I thought it might be fun to try and take a few portraits of Moofaly in the field behind my house. With him being an indoor-only cat, I was a bit nervous, but once again, Moofaly surprised me by staying in the spot I put him in. He seemed content to stay in the same 3 foot area, chewing on the blades of grass as he saw fit and sniffing at the air like it was brand new.

One of Moofaly's most endearing qualities is his underbite--I think this picture helps to show off just how sexy that can be:

141373895-L.jpg

21934125-L.jpg

21932217-L.jpg

21934128-L.jpg

Little did I know that Tuesday, April 3, 2007 was going to become one of the hardest days I've ever experienced.

I had just gotten back from a friend's house to pick up his "pocket monkey", an affectionate term for a sugar glider. They're almost too cute to look at! I was relieved to see that he had a bird cage, with bars too small for a cat's paw--that surely would have been a disaster.

Having been home for about 45 minutes, I noticed Moofaly seemed to be ill. I'm going to spare you the details here, but will just say he was having a very hard time breathing, and meowing a lot. As fast as I could handle it, I shoved my heart back down my throat, got him into his carrier, and was out the door to his vet, which is fortunately only 1/4 mile away from me.

The vet looked him over and decided to take an x-ray. It was a difficult task because the positioning needed for the machine made it harder for him to breathe, I thought I just might pass out if I had to hear him scream one more time like he was. It broke my heart.

The x-rays revealed that his stomach was way too high -- indicating a possible diaphragmatic hernia....so I had to wait for the emergency hospital to open at 6 pm.

Those 45 minutes at the house waiting, watching him suffer, checking on him constantly and hoping beyond all hope that something could be done was all I could do. Fortunately, my boyfriend came home so he was able to drive me to the emergency vet because I don't think I would've been able to see the road.

The prognosis was looking bad....his temp. was 2 degrees below normal and I just got this sinking feeling. The vet wanted to put him in an oxygen tent and try to take more x-rays to see if he could get a better diagnostic image. He said he would call me in a couple of hours.

When I returned I was so elated to see Moof with pink gums again and a pink tongue instead of a purple one, but he had just come out of the oxygen tent so I knew that it wouldn't be long before he starting turning blue again. It took less than a minute...but wouldn't you know it, my cat was so happy to see me and my boyfriend, that through half-open eyes full of pain, he kept trying to purr. It was as if he didn't want us to feel bad!

That's when I knew.....I asked the doctor what his chances were with surgery. His old age, and respiratory distress all spelled disaster, and that the likelihood of him waking up from surgery was very very slim.

I slowly nodded my head and turned to Moofaly . . . ah, those eyes. I've never seen them so sad-looking before, they'd lost a lot of their brightness. Moofaly looked back at me and laid his head down on the towel and I knew what he wanted--what he needed most of all.

Taking a deep breath I asked the vet if I could have some time alone with him. He quietly left the room and I just circled my arms around his frail heaving body and put my cheek against his. The faintest purr was all he could give but it was so much more than I could have asked for. I said everything I always tell him everyday, but this time I told him to come back to me. Because one day, and I am absolutely confident in this, I will come across another fuzzy face, and something will seem so familiar, that the circle of life will once again complete itself and begin all over again.

The vet returned and in two minutes, Moofaly slipped away so peacefully. I cradled him one last time and left in shock and disbelief.

Wednesday morning was especially difficult without hearing that familiar incessant meowing for breakfast. It is absolutely amazing how grief-ridden silence can become so cacaphonous.

I thought about some pictures I had taken a little over a year ago, trying to capture Moofaly's silhouette. Working on them in photoshop became quite therapeutic, not only giving me something to do, but trying to give Moofaly some sort of honor as well.

The first is a siimple silhouette....but the second, well the second one ended up taking a life all it's own and speaks volumes to me and that's really all that's important--but I thought I would share them with you guys because a lot of you have been where I am now, and probably will be again.

We take the risk of losing them, because it is impossible not to love them. There is nothing more powerful than the unconditional love of an animal.

So these go out to Moofaly and I raise my glass high to you sweetie. I miss you but know you are so much happier now.

Moofaly's Silhouette
141119018-L.jpg

Moofaly's Light
141119026-L.jpg

Thanks to anyone taking this short moment to take this journey with me, I think it will make Moofaly's star shine that much brighter.

Comments

• Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    :cry Very sad story that a lot of us have experienced.
    bsvirginian
  • Options
    djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    been there and felt that also. Isn't the love and devotion of a pet something wonderful?
    http://www.djames-photography.com
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I'm so sorry for your loss, but happy that you have had the joy of having Moofaly in your life. You are right, there are few experiences as powerful as having that unconditional love which animals are so willing to give. I've experienced the pain of losing one many times over, but eventually another furry critter comes along and I'm hooked once again. I love the pictues, but the silhouette is really beautiful. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Wow, powerful emotions, DF. You do indeed honor your sweetie, and very beautifully.

And I think the last image is indeed the most powerful.

Thank you for sharing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    DF
    My sincere condolences. I have been in your position, and suspect I will be again sooner than I wish.

These words of yours:
    "We take the risk of losing them, because it is impossible not to love them. There is nothing more powerful than the unconditional love of an animal."

have such a pwerful resonance to them.

Keep MD in your heart, but keep a spot for another companion when you are ready.

Thank You for sharing

ann
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    :cry:cry:cry I'm sooo sorry for your loss. Your story made me cry. You made such a wonderful tribute to your sweet kitty. I completely agree with everything you said, and you will never find such compassion, love and dedication our pets give us. We as humans have a lot to learn from our best friends.
    Thank you for sharing your story, no matter how said it is. Your friend will be always in your heart and those beautiful images will be your best memories to cherish.
    Take care, i know how heartbreaking your experience is.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    Sympathies to you, I know how you feel :cry

The silhouette is a fitting tribute...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    My sincere condolences
    My heart is with you! iloveyou.gif
    Sorry for your loss... :cry
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ManticoreManticore Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    I'm reading this with tears streaming down my face .... I'm so sorry. I've been through this and it's one of the hardest things we have to face. My wife says that with our animals, grief is the price we pay for love. It's such a high price, but the love we give and receive in return makes it worth it.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    - Steve

D300S, MB10, Nikon 18-70, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR, Tamron 90mm macro, Tokina 11-16 2.8, SB800

http://www.justastateofmind.com
  • Options
    sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    That was impossible to read, but I did... I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes right now. You've created a wonderful tribute here, and the photography is beautiful.

As I am also a "pet" person, I can tell you that this was so hard for me because I'm watching my oldest puppy, Chloe start to have some serious aging issues, and its killing me to think that I may have this decision someday soon too. I've found myself sleeping on the living room floor with her on several nights, just so we could hang out like the old days.

Needless to say, my heart goes out to you and I extend my condolences for your loss. I don't need to know anything else about you and I can still be convinced that you are a truly good person. I'm glad that cat had a chance to get to know you... pets deserve that in their lives.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    My condolences to you and your family. Your tribute is fantastic and you do him well wherever he is. Your pictures are fantastic and give everyone a positive lasting image of him.

I too have had to do this. My wife was holding one of our dogs when she took her last breath and less than a year later our husky/shepherd mix was poisoned somehow and died before we had time to say goodbye. The love of an animal is stronger and more loyal at times than our own. Letting go of them is never easy but the wonderful memories will remain. Your post here is but one more great memory you have. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    photographixphotographix Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    so sorry
    the cats and i wish you well
    just be nice THATS ALL! www.photographix.smugmug.com :seamus
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    That is a beautiful post... you did right by your baby. I dread the day that I lose one of mine.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    sorry.......you did a fantastic job capturing memmories of your baby
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I too am sorry for your loss. Such beautiful shots of the kitty. It is so funny how animals become such a part of our lives and family. We recently got a dog and even though she is such a handful she is our baby and we love her very much. Thanks for sharing and will be thinking about you.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 6, 2007
    :cry
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 6, 2007
    come on DF! I'm supposed to be the tough guy around here!! :cry

what a perfect set of memorial photos - just remember, you were both lucky to have each other.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    djames wrote:
    been there and felt that also. Isn't the love and devotion of a pet something wonderful?

yes, truly irreplaceable. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow, powerful emotions, DF. You do indeed honor your sweetie, and very beautifully.

And I think the last image is indeed the most powerful.

Thank you for sharing.

thanks Waxy. That means a lot
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    DF
    My sincere condolences. I have been in your position, and suspect I will be again sooner than I wish.

These words of yours:
    "We take the risk of losing them, because it is impossible not to love them. There is nothing more powerful than the unconditional love of an animal."

have such a pwerful resonance to them.

Keep MD in your heart, but keep a spot for another companion when you are ready.

Thank You for sharing

ann

it's so hard not to keep a spot open isn't it? That's why I know that one day another one will come along...I just can't wait to see that familiarity that only I will see...something special that sets one apart.

Thanks Ann
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:
    That was impossible to read, but I did... I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes right now. You've created a wonderful tribute here, and the photography is beautiful.

As I am also a "pet" person, I can tell you that this was so hard for me because I'm watching my oldest puppy, Chloe start to have some serious aging issues, and its killing me to think that I may have this decision someday soon too. I've found myself sleeping on the living room floor with her on several nights, just so we could hang out like the old days.

Needless to say, my heart goes out to you and I extend my condolences for your loss. I don't need to know anything else about you and I can still be convinced that you are a truly good person. I'm glad that cat had a chance to get to know you... pets deserve that in their lives.

My heart goes out to you . . . I hope that whatever happens, that you both find a peace deep within. It will come, however slowly, because in the end, a true friend can never be replaced, only remembered.

I don't know who was luckier, me or Moofaly, but we definitely got great deals! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    My condolences to you and your family. Your tribute is fantastic and you do him well wherever he is. Your pictures are fantastic and give everyone a positive lasting image of him.

I too have had to do this. My wife was holding one of our dogs when she took her last breath and less than a year later our husky/shepherd mix was poisoned somehow and died before we had time to say goodbye. The love of an animal is stronger and more loyal at times than our own. Letting go of them is never easy but the wonderful memories will remain. Your post here is but one more great memory you have. Thanks for sharing.

it's strange isn't it, when you hear someone tell the story of having to put one of their loved ones to sleep . . . as a pet lover I always said that I understood because I truly thought I did. But this was my very first experience (all previous pets were lost to cars :cry ) and I've realized you truly don't know until you've been through it. Thanks again for your kind words
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    the cats and i wish you well
    make sure you kiss your kitties bunches for me! :sweet
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    come on DF! I'm supposed to be the tough guy around here!! :cry

what a perfect set of memorial photos - just remember, you were both lucky to have each other.

well stop cryin' ya blubbery fool! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it a lot.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2007
    Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read our story. All the well wishes and condolences mean a lot and getting it all out in a blog of sorts really helped me, too.

If there's one thing that I miss about being here as much as I used to it's that the people here treat you like family. I think it even takes precedence over the great photography! clap.gif

friday.gifbeer.gif

with as many pet lovers as we have on here we need animal smilies! DoctorIt can work on this as I know first hand he has absolutely nothing to do! Laughing.gif (Erik, put down the mop and bucket first, though rolleyes1.gif )
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    So very sorry for your loss. :cry
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 6, 2007
    animal0032.gifanimal0067.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I enjoyed the pictures and the story. It's been almost two years since I lost my friend Cisko, and I never had the guts to post a goodbye like this. It was extra hard because he was only 3 1/2 years-old. Dang, now I need a tissue again...
    Chris
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    I always want to say something profound or least something to make the hurt go away.

I of course never come even close, not for me or anyone else.

Been where you are today and swear every time I will not go through it again, but I do.
    It's the price we all must pay for loving our companions and after all that's all they ever ask of us, while returning so much more.
  • Options
    JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    :cry My heartfelt condolences , now when I see an orange cat I'll remember you and your friend. Your pictures and story made me weep as I've been through this too many times. I hope that sharing this loss with those of us who understand has made your grief a little more bearable.

Jill
    Jill