Options

MI V Wildlife Shoot - Opening shots

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited February 14, 2008 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

I've started to receive e-mail about MI V (that's Merritt Island Florida for any newbies) so I figured that I would put out some preliminary info.

If we decide to do this madness again Feb 3-Feb 10th appears to the optimal time on the calendar as it gets everyone home for Valentine's Day and it avoids conflicting with the Daytona 500.

For any newbies out there, we have been gathering on Florida's Space Coast for the last few years and shooting up the area's wildlife. The main shooting locations have been the Viera and Orlando Wetlands, Merritt Island NWR, gatorland's rookery in Orlando, Sebastiann Inlet, the Blue Heron Wetlands, and if there's interest I can arrange special sessions at the Audubon Socierty's Raptor Center in Maitland, Florida.

If there's enough interest and someone willing to coordinate it we can also arrange for a few days on Florida's west coast also.

You can check out this thread for info on last year's shoot.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Woot. I can't wait. You know I'd be happy to help in anyway I can on the West coast........ Harry. My driving situation causes a small problem ...but usually work around it. I've got a nice bicycle with a shiny bell and tassled handles. eek7.gif:D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Looking foward to seeing everyone and will help where I can..

Mike , it will be good to see you again:>))))
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Don't worry about Valentines Day, Andreas can always pick something up for his wife in the airport on the way home. I'm not sure if I'll make it this year Harry, I was was thinking of going down a little later and hitting the rookeries for the chicks.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    Don't worry about Valentines Day, Andreas can always pick something up for his wife in the airport on the way home. I'm not sure if I'll make it this year Harry, I was was thinking of going down a little later and hitting the rookeries for the chicks.

If you don't make it down this year you'll be missed. It would be great if the regular spots were active at the same time the rookeries were jumping. Usually the rookery in Gatorland (Orlando) is starting to get active while the MI shoot is going on.

You'll see the mating and nesting activities in early April to mid April. The best time for chicks at the rookeries is in May. Let me know if and when you decide to come down to shoot at the rookeries.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Y'all,

I've started to receive e-mail about MI V (that's Merritt Island Florida for any newbies) so I figured that I would put out some preliminary info.

And here I got all excited thinking the "MI" in the thread title stood for "Michigan".

... sigh ....
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2007
    And here I got all excited thinking the "MI" in the thread title stood for "Michigan".

... sigh ....

Florida is still exciting:ivar . I bet you could find a cheap flight.
    Harry
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 6, 2007
    Nightingale and I are looking forward to seeing everyone again.

We will be happy to help out in any way we can Harry.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    Hey PJ wanna make the trip down? Been thinking about this for a couple years now:D
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nightingale and I are looking forward to seeing everyone again.

We will be happy to help out in any way we can Harry.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I'm sure I can find something to keep y'all busy.
    Harry
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2007
    Thusie wrote:
    Hey PJ wanna make the trip down? Been thinking about this for a couple years now:D
    It's definitely worth it, but you already knew that now didn't you Thusie.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    borderbraeborderbrae Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Minwr, 08
    Anyone going to the MINWR 08 week use an RV? I live on the Gulf coast, love taking photos fo wildlife, birds and travel photos. The week in Feb. 08 sounds like it would be super event, opportunities to take photos and to meet others with similar interests. I have a 20' TT and wondered if any others taking part would be RVing?

Jean

http://borderbrae.smugmug.com

Canon Rebel XT
    Sigma 28-300 DG zoom
    Jean
    Canon 5D Mark III, 6D; Canon 17-40 F 4.0 L; Canon 24-105 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 70-200 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 100-400 IS L II; Samyang 14mm f 2.8; Samyang 24 mm f 1.4; Manfrotto tripod
    www.borderbraeimages.com
    http://www.borderbrae.wordpress.com
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2007
    borderbrae wrote:
    Anyone going to the MINWR 08 week use an RV? I live on the Gulf coast, love taking photos fo wildlife, birds and travel photos. The week in Feb. 08 sounds like it would be super event, opportunities to take photos and to meet others with similar interests. I have a 20' TT and wondered if any others taking part would be RVing?

Jean

http://borderbrae.smugmug.com

Canon Rebel XT
    Sigma 28-300 DG zoom

Hey Jean,

I live here so I won't be RVing but in the the past there have always been 2-3 who have.
    Harry
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    I definitely want to try to get more involved this year than I was last year. I'm going to ask for several days off of work that week instead of just showing up on my days off. I know it's kind of far from where you normally go, Harry, but have you ever thought of getting a group up to Crystal River and Homosassa State Park for the birds and manatees there?
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    I definitely want to try to get more involved this year than I was last year. I'm going to ask for several days off of work that week instead of just showing up on my days off. I know it's kind of far from where you normally go, Harry, but have you ever thought of getting a group up to Crystal River and Homosassa State Park for the birds and manatees there?

I have never been up in that section but if its a target rich environment I'll be glad to check it out and possibly add it to the shoot.

Looking forward to seeing you again next year. clap.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    There are always manatees there that time of year. I haven't checked out the bird situation but it's a beautiful area with lots of wildness, so I'm sure they're there. :D
    Jen

• Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    Homosassa, Crystal River area
    That is my "back yard" and I have an annual membership at Homosassa Springs State Wildlife Park. They have birds there all the time, good variety of FL birds, but some are injured/healed never leaving. Others found a free lunch and stay. In the spring GBHs, egrets and others nest in the treetops, fun to see the youngsters! I did photo a wild hawk that was giving the Kestrels in their protected area the evil eye. I have gotten good photos of Pelican hatchling, sandhill crane with egg, etc.

The website is www.floridastateparks.org/homosassasprings/default.cfm

They also have other critters including 2 FL panthers, 2 bears, 4 otters and other FL wildlife. Very nice habitats and they are set up so you can take great photos, too, without wire fencing in the way.

Birds in the area, in Feb. it should be pretty good. I like to go to the CR National Wildlife Refuge office, they are right on King's Bay, and I often see osprey (there are several osprey nest platorms in town) and sometimes see an eagle or two soaring waaaay up there. Other common sightings are pelicans, GBHs, egrets. I generally like to start going over to King's Bay in November, once it cools down a bit and just hang out to see what I can see.

A visit to the park is a wonderful way to spend several hours and I would be happy to meetup with anyone so inclined!

Jean
    Jean
    Canon 5D Mark III, 6D; Canon 17-40 F 4.0 L; Canon 24-105 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 70-200 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 100-400 IS L II; Samyang 14mm f 2.8; Samyang 24 mm f 1.4; Manfrotto tripod
    www.borderbraeimages.com
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    The park looks great but the geography is a problem for the shoot. Its a bit of a haul form the Space Coast and a ways off too from where the West Coast part of the shoot takes place.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Homosassa Springs State Wildlife Park
    Harryb wrote:
    The park looks great but the geography is a problem for the shoot. Its a bit of a haul form the Space Coast and a ways off too from where the West Coast part of the shoot takes place.

I agree Harry, there is no direct east/west route to make it simple and it would be a trek up from Tampa area. The park is a nice way to spend a few hours but can't compare with the more open/less crowded areas the Feb. shootout will visit.

I went to the park last Sunday and got some nice photos to add to my Nature Galleries (birds & otters).

I had the interesting opportunity to see (and photograph) a GBH "save" a squirrel who fell into the water.....but then he proceeded to drown and eat the squirrel. I have 2 shots of the heron in my bird gallery. The first one he is peering into the disturbed place in the water, the second he has the squirrel.
    Never would have imagined a GBH would do such a thing but I have the photos. Haven't quite figured out how to get my photos to show in my posts yet.....

Even if a big group can't make it to the park I would be happy to meet anyone who wants to walk around there. A day pass is about $8 and a year pass is $23 or so and you get admission to the Aquarium in Tampa from Sept .to Jan. with it. Not bad.

Have to say I really enjoy seeing everyone else's shots! You all take some great photos!

Jean
    www.borderbrae.smugmug.com
    Jean
    www.borderbraeimages.com
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    That heron will be Harry's hero. rolleyes1.gif

If you want to put up an image, open whatever image size you want in the gallery (s-m-l), right click and copy image location. Then put it in image tags.
    *your picture link here*
    Hope that helps. :)
    Jen

• Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    borderbrae wrote:
    I
    I had the interesting opportunity to see (and photograph) a GBH "save" a squirrel who fell into the water.....but then he proceeded to drown and eat the squirrel. I have 2 shots of the heron in my bird gallery. The first one he is peering into the disturbed place in the water, the second he has the squirrel.

Jean

What a wonderful heron!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

You absolutely have to post those shots. It would make an old man :rutt very happy. :ivar
    Harry
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    Heron -1, squirrel -0
    Harryb wrote:
    What a wonderful heron!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

You absolutely have to post those shots. It would make an old man :rutt very happy. :ivar

Enjoy these, Harry!
    Here are 3 of the several shots I got:

Lookee what He has
    209963983-M.jpg
    One drowned "tree rat"
    209965423-M.jpg
    Down the hatch
    209967205-M.jpg
    Jean
    Jean
    www.borderbraeimages.com
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    Photos
    JenW wrote:
    That heron will be Harry's hero. rolleyes1.gif

If you want to put up an image, open whatever image size you want in the gallery (s-m-l), right click and copy image location. Then put it in image tags.
    *your picture link here*
    Hope that helps. :)

Thanks Jen. It took me a few tries to figure out/find the correct image location to put between the img tags but I finally got it.

Jean
    Jean
    www.borderbraeimages.com
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    borderbrae wrote:
    Enjoy these, Harry!
    Here are 3 of the several shots I got:

Lookee what He has
    209963983-M.jpg
    One drowned "tree rat"
    209965423-M.jpg
    Down the hatch
    209967205-M.jpg
    Jean

iloveyou.gif :ivar wings.gifbowdown.gifclap.gifcheerleader.gif :lol4 friday.gifdrums.gifbeer.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Happy Mod & shootout question
    Harryb wrote:
    iloveyou.gif :ivar wings.gifbowdown.gifclap.gifcheerleader.gif :lol4 friday.gifdrums.gifbeer.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif

Glad you liked the photos, Harry.

Space Coast shootout (in Feb. 08)- Since your first post about it there have been a few comments but nothing more definite has been posted. I've never camped over there and my search didn't come up with very many RV/campgrounds so I am kind of wondering about making a reservation. I would want to miss out on a spot in an RV park nearby but don't want to commit to anything until I hear that the plans are pretty firm as far as dates go.

Jean
    Jean
    www.borderbraeimages.com
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    borderbrae wrote:
    Glad you liked the photos, Harry.

Space Coast shootout (in Feb. 08)- Since your first post about it there have been a few comments but nothing more definite has been posted. I've never camped over there and my search didn't come up with very many RV/campgrounds so I am kind of wondering about making a reservation. I would want to miss out on a spot in an RV park nearby but don't want to commit to anything until I hear that the plans are pretty firm as far as dates go.

Jean

It is definite. The dates are Feb 3-10th. I'm off to Hawaii for two weeks on Wednesday and when I come back I'll start moving the shoot along.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2007
    Space Coast Shootout
    Harryb wrote:
    It is definite. The dates are Feb 3-10th. I'm off to Hawaii for two weeks on Wednesday and when I come back I'll start moving the shoot along.

Great news, Harry! I will go back and check out the campgrounds in the area again now.

Have a wonderful time in HI, too!

Jean
    Jean
    www.borderbraeimages.com
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    Here's the latest info on the shoot -

Accomodations: I have arranged a group rate at the same motel as last year. That's the Comfort Inn at 3655 Cheney Hwy, Titusville, FL 32780 (321)269-7110. The rate is $75/night. The rate is under HPB Photography. Reservations must be made by 1/4/2008 to get that rate.

Food: I will hold a welcome BBQ at my house on Tuesday 2/5. I intend to make a couple of smoked turkey breasts plus have the traditional burgers and franks upon request. As always I will provide soft drinks and Coronas.

I will also arrange an evening meal at two of the local restaurants for us to get togther during the shoot. I will announce the restaurants and dates once I finalize the arrangements.

Lens rental: I recently used the services of borrowedlenses.com and found them to be outstanding. The service was fast, the lenses in perfect condition and the prices very reasonable. They have long glass for Nikon and Canon will give you a 5% discount if you mention Dgrin. So if you need some long glass for the shoot give them a look see. I may be renting the 300 2.8 from them for the shoot.
    Harry
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    There are always manatees there that time of year. I haven't checked out the bird situation but it's a beautiful area with lots of wildness, so I'm sure they're there. :D

That park is great and the manatees are really cute!
    118510693-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    That park is great and the manatees are really cute!
    118510693-M.jpg

Like i said before it looks great but the geography doesn't work for the shoot.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    Some additional info on the MI V Shoot

Wednesday, February 6th- The Avian Reconditioning Center in Apopka, Florida will host a photo shoot of some of their display birds which include:
    American Kestrel, Merlin, Peregrine Falcon, Bald Eagle, Red-shouldered-Red-tailed and Cooper's hawk, Barn, Great Horned, Barred and Screech Owls.
    2 birds will be available for falconry demonstrations: A Harris's Hawk and a Red-tailed hawk. The Pergrine is also available but is not definite as it depends on it's mood as well as weight on that day.

They ask for at least $10 per person as they rehab and release many raptors primarily through donations, minimum of 10 people-maximum 30 in attendance. Should there be an overwhelming response, we can book a second day if needed.

Thursday, February 7th- Climb aboard DolphinGirl Eco-tour Cruises! Take a sunrise cruise on a pontoon boat along the Indian River lagoon just outside Melbourne. Generally 2 1/2 -3 hour cruises. They will be accommodating as far as our needs as photographers and seeking out any wildlife photo ops. My friend is the on board naturalist guide and he will be looking out for nesting and roosting sites as the time draws near.
    Maximum 30 people- $25 per person. will book another should there be enough interest.

More details about the when and where's will be posted once I have a better idea as to how many of you would like to participate in these field trips. Please respond to this thread if you are interested in either of these outings so that we can make proper arrangements.
    Thanks.
    Harry