Options

Canon 600mm - the nightmare photos

borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited March 16, 2009 in Cameras
These would be the scariest images that you can ever receive as a rental shop. What you see there is a Canon 600mm f4 IS that went swimming with the crocodiles in Florida, and subsequently fished out by divers. Kids, please don't try this at home.

Off to repairs with this thing. Will keep you posted. icon_biggrin.gif

Update 1

The story goes something like this...

The renter was using his 1Ds II to take pics with this lens and 2x extender (still attached in the pics). The monopod head snapped off, and the whole rig came falling down on the concrete. where the camera snapped off from the rest of the assembly. The lens then fell into the crocodile infested waters bellow the concrete bridge. The pictures are the aftermath.

First word we got of this was an all caps email, asking to call about an accident with the lens. At this point, two of our people had heart attacks, another started seeking a lawyer with the bankruptcy court.... etc. It was a rather nerve racking atmosphere for a while.

This lens renting business is not all gravy. Sometimes this happens.

Update 2

We talked to Canon Professional Services (CPS). According to the person there, out of 10 lenses he has seen that were fully submerged, they were able to recover 0 of them.

By the looks of things, we are going to write this off as a loss. Hood and hard case will be sold off. So far there is a plan to get a couple of guys together, take a sledge hammer to the lens and film it (ala Office Space). The results will be posted on YouTube for your viewing pleasure (horror?). Is that kind of like lens snuff films? :huh

Update 3

We are collecting ideas on the best way to destroy this lens. The video will be publically shared afterwards. Please let us know your thoughs. Dynamite is limited to whatever we can get at a fireworks shop.

Update 4

There has been a lot of questions on whether the customer renting this lens is now paying up the $7200 tab to buy us a new copy. I feel like this question is creating a lot of anxiety from potential customers, so I am answering it. No, the customer is not responsible for the full damage. He had insurance (purchased from us at time of rental) on this lens, so is only responsible for 12% of the cost of replacement.

This is all the comment I will give as far as insurance and the underwrites, etc.

Update 5

A lot of people have been asking for donations to schools, sales as props, art projects, etc. Folks, we are in the process of negotiating with various parties involved. We are not sure if we will get to keep the carcass after everything settles down. I am taking note of the particularly charitable/funny/inventive ways of destruction, and will choose the proper method of disposal when the dust settles. If videos are made, it will be made public and links will be posted here. At this point, I am not expecting anything to happen for about a month. Right now, we still have not even received it back from the customer.
http://www.BorrowLenses.com
Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses

Comments

• Options
    HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Ouch... surely there must have been insurance of some kind?
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    My sincerest condolences
    I know advice isn't what you're looking for now, but before I destroyed that lens, I think I'd make sure you'd exhausted all the insurance avenues. If your lease agreement makes the renter responsible, he should report the loss to his insurer as a liability claim. If YOU have insurance on the beast, I'd be very surprised if your insurer wouldn't pursue subrogation against the renter (and his insurer). In any case, an insurer will demand the salvage. You prolly already know all this, but hey, maybe the shock affected your judgement.

:cry anyway.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I have been getting some people saying that the insurer will want to keep the lens. I really hope that they don't. Imagine all the fun that Nikon users would have in seeing this loaded with some fire crackers. Or the tests we can do by shooting the fornt element with BB guns.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    So sorry to hear this. Can you set up the lens to focus sunlight to light the fuse of explosives strapped to the lens itself. Let's see how much explosive it'd take to bring down this L lens.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    If you get it back. My vote is for a long zip line, some fast pulleys and a steel pole at the end. Oh man the carnage.. You could set up a high speed camera inches away from the destruction!...

Can you imagine what kind of advertising that would be? It would hammer across youtube.. It might take time to pick up speed, but you can't pay for advertising like that. :D
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Send it to Mythbusters and find out!!!
    John :
  • Options
    TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Tie it to the back of a New York City cab and get the driver to drive around the block of B&H. I bet that you will have a good 20 people chasing that cab down the street
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
    Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
    Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    You could always give it to Letterman to drop off a buildingrolleyes1.gif

We know what would happen in his will it float series.....:D

How about dropping the fireworks/gun powder through the filter holder (just don't stand in front or behind the lens when it blows).......clap.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Good grief, dude, I'm sooo sorry to hear this...:cry
    My sincere condolences!ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Smashing idea:
    go to some public event where a lot of people with a long glass gather. Prentend to start shooting, then get angry/upset about something, grab the lens, smash it on the pavement, kick it hard - and then leave...
    All that with a silent partner or two filming it on HD...
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Another idea: sell it to some Nigerian prince mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Another idea: sell it to some Nigerian prince mwink.gif

And only asking for to deposit $1200USD by Money Order for to insure goodest faith. Understand just to cover insurances and postals costings.
    John :
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I pray for it's lost soul. May the 600mm rest in peace. bowdown.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Oh, and I was wondering if you'd care to tell us which monopod head NOT to buy?:D
    John :
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Options ...

1. Cut the lens in half and put it behind glass for display
    2. Give the glass elements to diy astronomy geeks
    3. Clean it and remove the electronics, voila MF f4 lens.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    sorta partial to the "blend" idea ... 600mm Salsa ... add a few Coronas and it's fiesta time ... (althrough I prefer Bohemia ... but for those with undeveloped tastes ... a Corona is good.)

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Why do the good die young? Oh the humanity of a tasty piece of telefocal goodness gone to glass heaven.
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    I am thinking a little 'just revenge' would be interesting: something like a photo of a 600mm lens, crusted over with bird poop, with 3 or 4 seagull standing on it.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    This thread is only a few hours old and already there are too many good ideas to pick from.....
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    The thought of Calvin (from Calvin & Hobbes) peeing in it comes to mind...

I thought L was for indestructib"L"
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mmtorunommtoruno Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    renter responsible, he should report the loss to his insurer as a liability claim.

:jawdrop First off Max, sorry for your loss.:nah

Accidents are unforeseen and unplanned events or circumstances. Yet this must be hard to swallow.
    I hope your insurance company will handle this claim with compassion.
    As for the renter if he/she did not buy the insurance from BorrowLenses
    Hopefully he/she has a “Homeowners Policy” in force! As mentioned before this could be filed as a Liability Claim. “Peril” being damage. There is no deductible applicable on the Liability portion for Homeowners policy if that’s a concern.

I will stay tune, to find out the disposal method.

• Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    I say have an Uhler Fest, before winter is over, chuck it on a hot campfire, while chanting, and sipping on craft beer made from cascade hops from the great northwest. Chant herfta hey, three times, herfta her three times, and than, ya shore ya betcha...and toss! Bummer.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Wow, That sucks guys! hopefully you are able to get something worked out,

BTW, I like this idea, and the will it blend one...
    Nikolai wrote:
    Smashing idea:
    go to some public event where a lot of people with a long glass gather. Prentend to start shooting, then get angry/upset about something, grab the lens, smash it on the pavement, kick it hard - and then leave...
    All that with a silent partner or two filming it on HD...

Hmmm, as for other ideas, perhaps launch it from a cannon...
  • Options
    toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    I like the idea of smashing it to pieces at a big sporting event, fashion show or whatever with loads of other photogs looking on. That really would be funny.

How about taking it to an animal park and appearing to accidentally drop it into an alligator infested pool - that would be a laugh too.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,922 moderator
    edited February 12, 2008
    What a disaster. My condolences.

I would suggest recycling it somehow. Remove the guts and use the casing as an umbrella stand or perhaps a vase in your office. Attach a sign to it that says "Don't try this at home."

Regards,
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    What a disaster. My condolences.

I would suggest recycling it somehow. Remove the guts and use the casing as an umbrella stand or perhaps a vase in your office. Attach a sign to it that says "Don't try this at home."

Regards,

..yeah.. I like that thought. Don't blow it up, just make it useful somehow. I think if it were up to me, I'd make some sort of trophy out of it. thumb.gif

Just a tragedy it happened... even if it was one of those white lenses. :D
  • Options
    PackMulePackMule Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    The MythBusters must have some good use for it. If not, I'd go for:

tobers wrote:
    I like the idea of smashing it to pieces at a big sporting event, fashion show or whatever with loads of other photogs looking on. That really would be funny.

Bummer. :(: