Options

Canon 600mm - the nightmare photos

2»

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    strip out the glass, and use it as a fancy lens hood for your kit lens! Impress everyone.
  • Options
    Red JRed J Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    It's just a Canon lens...

mwink.gif
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Red J wrote:

mwink.gif

Not anymore...
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    thumb.gif
    Red J wrote:

mwink.gif
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    It would make a bangin hood ornament.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Let use Know If It Hits Ebay Or Anything Like That :D

be looking for a referb 600mm coming soon :D
    (direct from the nigerian prince)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Red JRed J Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    1. If you do not have a fish aquarium, buy one.
    2. Put the fish tank in your office.
    3. Put the lens in the bottom of the tank.
    4. Fill with water.
    5. Stock with fish.
    6. Write the story and print it on the wall.
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Red J wrote:
    1. If you do not have a fish aquarium, buy one.
    2. Put the fish tank in your office.
    3. Put the lens in the bottom of the tank.
    4. Fill with water.
    5. Stock with fish.
    6. Write the story and print it on the wall.

haha, I love it.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    //me subscribes
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Just putting in a few updates on this. I put them in the OP as well.

Update 3

There has been a lot of questions on whether the customer renting this lens is now paying up the $7200 tab to buy us a new copy. I feel like this question is creating a lot of anxiety from potential customers, so I am answering it. No, the customer is not responsible for the full damage. He had insurance (purchased from us at time of rental) on this lens, so is only responsible for 12% of the cost of replacement.

This is all the comment I will give as far as insurance and the underwrites, etc.

Update 4

A lot of people have been asking for donations to schools, sales as props, art projects, etc. Folks, we are in the process of negotiating with various parties involved. We are not sure if we will get to keep the carcass after everything settles down. I am taking note of the particularly charitable/funny/inventive ways of destruction, and will choose the proper method of disposal when the dust settles. If videos are made, it will be made public and links will be posted here. At this point, I am not expecting anything to happen for about a month. Right now, we still have not even received it back from the customer.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    if you can get to keep the body don't destroy it- with a dismantle ,clean, lube and adjust and it will probably still function as a manual focus lens...
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    ...Right now, we still have not even received it back from the customer.

He's probably still sobbing over it with a screwdriver in one hand and his chequebook in the other :cry
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2008
    Some real lens snuff for your viewing pleasure. As you can see by all the water in the lens, it's fubar.

http://borrowlenses.smugmug.com/gallery/4337896_8tsBX#254473115

Follow us on Facebook
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited February 16, 2008
    Some real lens snuff for your viewing pleasure. As you can see by all the water in the lens, it's fubar.

Oh, the horror! The horror! Really sad to see photos of such a disaster. :cry

I did, however, enjoy the couple of shots where the lens was being inspected by the cat. Or was he smelling the scent of fish from the water stuck between the element groupings?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    RemfordRemford Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2008
    By the looks of things, we are going to write this off as a loss. Hood and hard case will be sold off. So far there is a plan to get a couple of guys together, take a sledge hammer to the lens and film it (ala Office Space). The results will be posted on YouTube for your viewing pleasure (horror?). Is that kind of like lens snuff films? eek7.gif

Update 3

We are collecting ideas on the best way to destroy this lens. The video will be publically shared afterwards. Please let us know your thoughs. Dynamite is limited to whatever we can get at a fireworks shop.

Oh, man. Sorry to hear about the (Deep-Six) Hundred. Angels are weeping.

If you DO happen to run with the "Office Space", don't forget the soundtrack. It's key to realizing the full effect.

Though personally, I'd go with something more understated, like a planter. Or, you could use it as your own Candid Camera prop... you know... the guy next to you bumps your tripod, everything goes ass-over-tea kettle...

My Gear (& more) • Go Infared! • Do some good today for tomorrow. • Eamus Catuli• If you haven't driven one of these lately, you should!
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    turn it into a lamp attached to a tripod.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 18, 2008
    As a veteran of many smashings (background: grad student with access to one of the best high-speed cameras money can buy ~50,000 frames/second, dubious amounts of "free" time goes without saying), I have a sneaking suspicion that the smashing of this rather sturdy piece of kit will be, well, a bit of an anticlimax. Most all the damage will happen inside, you'll be lucky if you can even get the outer case to crack.

But........

If you do go for a smashing. (1) Make sure you get access to a high-speed camera and (2) use something BIG!

deal.gif

Oh, and sorry to hear about the loss, glad you guys are looking on the smashing side :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Use the casing and make a trophy out of it... kind of like the Stanley Cup. Then award it to the top sports/wildlife shooter in the area every year. Let them keep it for a week on their mantle and get their name engraved on the side of it. :D
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2009
    Use the casing and make a trophy out of it... kind of like the Stanley Cup. Then award it to the top sports/wildlife shooter in the area every year. Let them keep it for a week on their mantle and get their name engraved on the side of it. :D

coolest game on earth!!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2009
    Ok, I'm really sorry for the damage to a MAJOR piece of kit and the business implications and what must be major hassle sorting it out with insurance, but.... this may be one of the funniest threads (and links) I've ever seen! I applaud your gallows humour. clap.gif
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009

Was that an empty vodka bottle on the back of the stove.... as a beginner here, I can't imagine what a loss like this would feel like. I love the idea someone had about acting frustrated and throwing the lens down in a big crowd..
  • Options
    bobcanbobcan Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Ooooohhh...
    Jeez.. You guys are kinda mean today.. eek7.gif .. but WITTY too!! rolleyes1.gif :giggle
    tobers wrote:
    How about taking it to an animal park and appearing to accidentally drop it into an alligator infested pool - that would be a laugh too.
  • Options
    Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Tannerite.

You tube it.

Apparently it's a legal explosive that you have to hit with a certain velocity to make it explode. I think you have to use a high powered rifle. There's a video of some one destroying a ford explorer with tannerite. An L lenses, even a 600mm, should be no problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannerite
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • Options
    koushkoush Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    I like the idea of spitting the dummy at a sporting event or something...and capturing the look on everyone's faces at the " carnage". or a mastercard commercial....:D
    don't get your knickers ina twist, it doesn't feel good and makes you walk funny
  • Options
    LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Smashing idea:
    go to some public event where a lot of people with a long glass gather. Prentend to start shooting, then get angry/upset about something, grab the lens, smash it on the pavement, kick it hard - and then leave...
    All that with a silent partner or two filming it on HD...

After reading all posts...rolleyes1.gif We have a winner!!!!clap.gifwings.gif :ivar Man, I really do mourn your loss, but heck, have some fun with it. If you cannot remove the electronics and turn that wonderful, expensive glass into a manual focus 600mm, then by all means, get a press pass and show up at the next Super Bowl with all the other long lens guys nad spend a while getting into the scene. Cuss and moan for the first quarter and make a few LOUD phone calls to the "lens shop". Then, proceed to take lens off camera and just MASH it tothe ground. I mean really WAIL on it. Beat the TAR out of it and then just walk away. Man, Priceless. thumb.gif
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”
  • Options
    hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2009

im gona ask .... why its on a cutting board?
    Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
    Flickr
    Smugmug
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    This thread started over a YEAR ago!
    As the my title says the thread started over a year ago! Surely something has been decided by now. How about an update of what actually happened?

Jane
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2009
    Jane B. wrote:
    As the my title says the thread started over a year ago! Surely something has been decided by now. How about an update of what actually happened?

Jane

The update is that the carcass was sold to some one for around $400. We needed the money to recoup some of the loss of the lens. Not sure what the buyer did with it. We never heard from him again.

Mark.

Follow us on Facebook
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,828 moderator
    edited March 16, 2009
    The update is that the carcass was sold to some one for around $400. We needed the money to recoup some of the loss of the lens. Not sure what the buyer did with it. We never heard from him again.

Mark.

Thanks Mark. Let's hope you don't have to go through that again anytime soon. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums