• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 4  of  6
1 2 3 4 5 6
Old Apr-02-2004, 12:15 PM
lynnma is offline lynnma
Moddess Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrcat
I'm new around here..just discovered these forums. Like I need another place to hang out, but.. LOL Here's our little dog, Maddie.
Welcome Purrcat,

Wonderful doggie and a great picture. Look forward to seeing more.
Lynn

slow down and look

website
Old Apr-02-2004, 12:59 PM
SavannahMan is offline SavannahMan
Major grins
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrcat
It's easy. I use PSP 8, but other programs may have the option to add a border. That's all it is. :)
I have PS 7 (still stuck on 98SE, lol) but no time to play with it....maybe a project for this weekend....
Old Apr-04-2004, 02:16 PM
lynnma is offline lynnma
Moddess Emeritus
what can we do about the back ground in my doggie picture...because of the fine hair I'm stuck.. any ideas?
Attached Images

slow down and look

website
Old Apr-04-2004, 04:02 PM
pathfinder is offline pathfinder
Drive By Digital Shooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnma
what can we do about the back ground in my doggie picture...because of the fine hair I'm stuck.. any ideas?
Like you Lynn, my canine friends have to serve as my models. I cannot afford real models and my wife will not allow me to shoot nudes so I shoot canines instead. But like real models, they sometimes have flyaway hair and it can be a problem to select or extract in PS. So... what I do is after getting the picture leveled and corrected is to add a white mask layer. I then use a soft brush to paint with black the areas I want to be able to see. If I expose too much I just use the white brush on the mask layer to cover it back up. Then I may flatten the layers out and just paint the background black like in the following images. My canine companions don't seem to mind being photgraphed but they sure will never sit with the background I prefer so like you I have to correct it afterwards. The first picture of the brown and white dog was shot on my kitchen floor with kitchen chair legs and kitchen island for a less than great background so..... a little work in PS and Voila!

Likewise for my little Plott Hound - she never seems to want to lie down where I would prefer her to lie down but - No Problem! Jim Dandy to the rescue!

Who knows Lynn - this might work for your dog too......

Ps WxWax - These were shot with a G5 in Raw and converted in PSCS - I did not use a 10D for these
Old Apr-04-2004, 05:28 PM
gypsy77360 is offline gypsy77360
Travelin' Texas
Willie
[FONT=Century Gothic]Willie[/FONT]
Old Apr-05-2004, 10:51 AM
wxwax is offline wxwax
Immoderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder
This is a really nice image... the dog is proud and powerful, dignified... really nice job on the lighting and background.
Old Apr-06-2004, 06:53 AM
pathfinder is offline pathfinder
Drive By Digital Shooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
This is a really nice image... the dog is proud and powerful, dignified... really nice job on the lighting and background.
Thanks Waxy - Plott hounds are just great dogs - proud and truly fearless, but friendly and good family dogs - THE state dog of North Carolina! All kinds of trivia reside between my ears.

I have been playing with the Lighting filter under Render in the Filter column in PS - It lets you add lighting highlights after the fact - and I used this filter for the shots of both dogs. I use the dogs for practice, so when/if I shoot other subjects I will have an idea of what I am doing. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Old Apr-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Sandy is offline Sandy
Major grins
Approach at your own risk!!!
Attached Images

Old Apr-13-2004, 06:59 PM
damonff is offline damonff
film
Our dog Enzo...

Old Apr-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Richard Cabesa is offline Richard Cabesa
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonff
Our dog Enzo...
Very cute, but are you sure that it's not half cat?
Old Apr-13-2004, 09:23 PM
damonff is offline damonff
film
Haha!! I know. We got him in China and we're still trying to figure out his breed. I've never seen a dog like him before. Any ideas as to what breed?
Old Apr-15-2004, 08:30 AM
HarveyMushman is offline HarveyMushman
Dawgs!
Bailey

Zoey

Darlene

Old Apr-15-2004, 09:29 AM
DoctorIt is offline DoctorIt
vrooom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonff
Our dog Enzo...

Wow, is that for real? He's so cool!

Old Apr-27-2004, 05:30 AM
rutt is offline rutt OP
Cave canem!
Cold Springs Park "Dog Owners' Club"
It's against the leash law, but people with dogs in Newton, MA congregate a couple of times a day in the old field in Cold Spring Park to let their dogs play and run off the leash. It's a great place for dog photography, since they run themselves until they are relaxed.

I learned something new on Sunday. Did you know that chows have purple tounges?

Here are the best three I got Sunday late afternoon.

Old Apr-27-2004, 05:51 AM
wxwax is offline wxwax
Immoderator
Piedmont Park has a smallish free-run place for dogs in Atlanta. I keep heading there to shoot, and I keep getting sidetracked. Someday. Maybe a 'pets and their owners' thread someday.
Old Apr-28-2004, 07:46 AM
SavannahMan is offline SavannahMan
Major grins
Laughing
...tried to hide under the bed to escape the damn paparazzi, to no avail...

Old Apr-30-2004, 05:53 AM
AltPro is offline AltPro
Tempus fugit
Dogue de Bordeaux?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy
Love dogs!

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Your dog looks like a Dogue de Bordeaux? If not what kind of mastiff?
My fathers' Dogue de Bordeaux "MiMi," died this past February of cancer (DaD lives with us here in Virginia). It started in her mamary glands... They did a radical mastectomy late October, but it literally consumed her entire abdominal cavity within 14 weeks. She had great spirit right up until the week before she died. She was a terrific member of our family, and sorely missed.

I remain,
ginette[/FONT]
Attached Images

Old Apr-30-2004, 06:30 AM
AltPro is offline AltPro
Tempus fugit
Our Weimaraner Chloe Born Jan 1, 1997
[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Luc was home with pneumonia this winter, and Chloe was his constant companion... Doing her job, and working hard to get him better, so she could take her place on the playroom sofa...
I remain,
ginette[/FONT]
Attached Images

Old Apr-30-2004, 07:20 AM
AltPro is offline AltPro
Tempus fugit
Taylor & Gucci
[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Gucci (bottom), a Coonhound and Elizabeth Taylor(top) a Powderpuff Crested mix, were both rescue dogs. Gucci belongs to our daughter SuMMer, and Taylor belongs to our twin sons' MaTT & LuC. (Taylor is a male, but SuMMer named him... Said he'd be neutered anyway and asked if I had seen Liz lately... Suffice it to say, the name stuck!)
Yes, I know that Taylor is blurry... Did the PS Sharpening Trick... Still...
I remain,
ginette[/FONT]
Attached Images

Old May-01-2004, 03:21 PM
winger is offline winger
Major grins
MY first post!!!!
Page 4  of  6
1 2 3 4 5 6
Tell The World!