Sideline etiquette

dt2indentondt2indenton Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited July 18, 2008 in Sports
In shooting any kind of game, is it right/wrong to use a flash? It seems like you'd have to use one but is there any unwritten rule about it that I should be aware of before I get on the field/court?

I'm thinking mostly high school events.

Comments

• hindsyhindsy Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong.... but just not being in their face too much. I would think be considerate on all levels. Common sense and think of how you would be affected if you were the player or an audience member... Good Luck. I'm going to be trying some of this myself this year...
    Hindsy's X-treme Photos
    http://www.pymatuningmx.com/index.html :thumb
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    If you're not sure, ask the coaches or the referees about it prior to the game. I see lots of shooters using flashes at high school football, soccer, lacrosse, and basketball games without any eyebrows being raised.

Just don't be the one who fires the flash in the face of the home team's star wide receiver - causing him to drop what would have been the game winning pass. :D

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Also, be aware, some sports it's prohibited. At least in Ohio, you cannot use flash during gymnastics or volleyball. And, often in swimming, you are not allowed to use flash at the start.
  • mackidbrendanmackidbrendan Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    for basketball make sure its not aimed at the court, try your best to bounce it off the wall because in most gyms its solid white. good luck with the shooting :D
    http://www.brendanryder.com

Use coupon code 4MdT6vueeZfpQ to save 5$ on a smugmug account
  • Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    My best advice is to ask the coaches and or the facility managers. When I am on the sideline of any high school, college or semi-pro game locally I cannot use my flash. However if I purchase a ticket and had a seat in the grandstand they dont care.
    Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
    Digital Illusions Photography & Design
    1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
    Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown