Options

Missing tags when Hello World disabled

dlw459dlw459 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 22, 2008 in SmugMug Support
It appears as though the "Top n Photo Keywords" display on my homepage (visitor view/logout) does not display keywords for photos in a public gallery where "Hello World" is disabled. I would like to use the keyword functionality (I do a lot of tagging), however I would like to make my photos non-discoverable by Google. Is it not possible to do both of these? I could see why these two requirements could possibly be in conflict. However I did not see a Gotcha saying for key wording to work, the collection must have "Hello World" Enabled. Of course I understand the gallery must be public. Is this a bug, correct functionality, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Hi and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

Can you give us a link to your gallery? The hello smuggers feature is actually the important one. You would have to set it to at least 'No - make me an island' in your control panel for the keywords to work for your visitors. If you have this fine tuned setting set in your control panel (settings tab), simply leave the gallery setting for hello smuggers set to yes. It'll automatically inherit the control panel setting.

This make me an island setting of hello smuggers will limit the keywords to just work on your homepage and galleries. Hello world can be set to no and is not required for keywords to work.

I hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    Thanks for responding. This setting was wide open previously, I did not think to close this down on the control panel. The link to my account is http://dlwphoto.smugmug.com. I did set the Control panel to 'Island', but if I am thinking correctly that made my account more restricted. I have about 8 galleries, one of which has a password, but the others should be wide open. On my home page look for a Tag called "Birthday Cake". If you don't see it, then you are experiencing the problem. The gallery with the "Birthday Cake" tagged photos in it can be found at http://dlwphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/4959856_7fcJu#296809185_vAmz4. (Zachs bday)
    The Hello SM, Hello World settings for this Gallery are currently set to Yes.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    OK, it looks like the "Birthday Cake" tag is now displaying. In other words, a tag in a photo in a public (Hello World/SM yes) gallery is displaying in the "Top Photo Keywords" object on my home page for general users. I think what happened is it takes a while for changes made to galleries to propagate to the homepage. When I set the Gallery that has the "Birthday Cake" photo tag in it, to Public (Hello World/SM yes), it took a while for those changes to propagate to the homepage tag control, perhaps overnight? Next I will try limiting the Gallery to just Hello SM, and see if the tags display (after the time delay.)

This begs the question: exactly how open do I have to be for the tag control to work? I assume the following, if someone can shed some light, I will update what is actually required (aiming again for the minimum allowed). As I find more info I will update/re-post:
    Control Panel:
    1. Hello World: Homepage Only?
    2. Hello Smug Mug: (Make me an island?) Does this matter?
    Related Galleries:
    1. Hello World: Yes?
    2. Hello SM: Yes

Thanks,
    d
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    dlw459 wrote:
    As I find more info I will update/re-post:
    Control Panel:
    1. Hello World: Homepage Only?
    2. Hello Smug Mug: (Make me an island?) Does this matter?
    Related Galleries:
    1. Hello World: Yes?
    2. Hello SM: Yes
    Referencing the help page here:https://secure.smugmug.com/help/private-search-island
    Sofar I have confirmed this much in the Update-Control Panel:
    1. Hello World: Sebastian you are correct, this setting does not make a difference.
    2. 'Find by Name', and 'Make me an island' will display tags. However 'Total lock-down' causes the tag control to totally disappear, and 'Yes Discover me' results in an empty Tag control. I do not know if this will populate over time.

This behavior does not make sense to me. Is there a reason for 'Total Lockdown' to result in a missing control? Why does 'Yes Discover me' result in an empty control? Perhaps there is a good reason for this, I just don't follow the logic.

Related to specific Galleries, in general I am setting everything to Yes to default to Control panel settings, unless I want to lock down and not display tags for a specific galary. I assume the 'Hello World' option is not relevant, but I have not confirmed.