Ice at Paradise (Mt. Rainier National Park)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited July 23, 2008 in Landscapes
The Paradise area of Mt. Rainier National Park is usually free of snow by now, but this year it's sticking around (a lot of rainfall in the winter and cold temperatures in Spring). Hopefully the wildflowers will still emerge in a month, but I have my doubts. The various waterfalls are flowing at Spring levels too.

Anyway, here's a few photos I took last Sunday on a spur of the moment day trip (I finally cleaned my sensor and needed to test it out). Several lenticular clouds came and went while I was there. I was on the wrong side to get the nice pink glow at sunset though.

332146330_mvHhk-L.jpg

332149602_74WSx-L.jpg

Here's a shot from earlier in the day (I need a wider lens or a full frame camera, I had to clip the stream or clip the trees as I couldn't move back far enough, anyway, all that snow at the base shouldn't be there!)

332140142_NGjsk-L.jpg

Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    wow, those are absolutely beautiful!! clap.gifclap.gif

you're so lucky to live near all these natural wonders iloveyou.gif

thanks for sharing!
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • photosbyDanphotosbyDan Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    ron your stuff is always really cool! My favorite is the second one I like how the light plays off the ice and water in the foreground. And yeah I want a full frame camera too :(
    keep rockin! thumb.gif
    "Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness."-Yousuf Karsh

www.danielchappellphotography.com

• i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    I love Mt.Rainier - and these shots definitely do it justice. Excellent captures.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    kitvan wrote:
    wow, those are absolutely beautiful!! clap.gifclap.gif

you're so lucky to live near all these natural wonders iloveyou.gif

thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I agree, i'm very fortunate to live in the Pacific NW (I can make day trips to three different national parks, the Oregon coast, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver, and the list goes on... I'm spoiled!).
    edited July 19, 2008
    ron your stuff is always really cool! My favorite is the second one I like how the light plays off the ice and water in the foreground. And yeah I want a full frame camera too :(
    keep rockin! thumb.gif

Thank you!

If Canon ever decides to release a successor to the 5D, I'll likely snatch it up (or be disappointed with the feature set and bite the bullet on a 1Ds M3, after auctioning a few organs on ebay, engaging in several forms of laundering, extortion, blackmail, smuggling and other forms of profitable, unethnical, immoral, and just plain shady corruption, and also winning several state and national lotteries in succession). And then I'll have to take up a loan to make up the difference.

But then, while my tactics would be questionable, my reputation permanently ruined, and my soul cast to eternal damnation, I'd have a full frame sensor.

And it would be worth it. :D
    edited July 19, 2008
    I love Mt.Rainier - and these shots definitely do it justice. Excellent captures.

Thanks! It's a great place, lot's of everything (landscapes, waterfalls, flowers, wildlife, confused tourists). The good news is I haven't been taking photos long enough to do it the kind of justice that it deserves, so I'll keep coming back, trying to get a little more each time. I've never actually been there for more than a day trip, I was hoping to do that sometime this year but it doesn't look like it's going to work out.
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Nice series. Now if you can just get a colorful sky to go with the great foreground.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
    edited July 22, 2008
    bham wrote:
    Nice series. Now if you can just get a colorful sky to go with the great foreground.

No kidding! Or some more clouds. We haven't really had much drama in the skies here the last month or two. This specific location is probably better at sunrise, but I'd have to leave at about 1:30 AM to get there in time for that (or stay the night like a rational person, but I went up there on a whim anyway).

Next time!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Fabulous series. Wow......awesome reflections and the ice...geez....beautifully captured Ron!thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552