Good deal?

mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited July 19, 2008 in Cameras
I'm in the market for a new DSLR. I'm new and trying to get started into photography other than point and shoot. I don't have any equipment what so ever. I'm trying to stay under $700 as best I can. I can pick up a XTI from a local Best Buy for around $630 with the kit 18-55 lens. Does that seem like a pretty fair price? Granted, I'd love to have an XSI, but its out of my price range and they are too new for haggling with local photography shops. So, what do you think? Thanks!

Kris

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    mud390 wrote:
    I'm in the market for a new DSLR. I'm new and trying to get started into photography other than point and shoot. I don't have any equipment what so ever. I'm trying to stay under $700 as best I can. I can pick up a XTI from a local Best Buy for around $630 with the kit 18-55 lens. Does that seem like a pretty fair price? Granted, I'd love to have an XSI, but its out of my price range and they are too new for haggling with local photography shops. So, what do you think? Thanks!

Kris
    Ive seen good second hand 30D's going on here (from my rusty memory) for about $500-$600 headscratch.gif $600 it was i think. Myself..i would take the 2nd hand option as i prefer the bigger camera. Anyway ..give pre-loved gear some thought maybe if you are out for a bargain ...some good deals to be had.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 18, 2008
    mud390 wrote:

Kris

Kris,

What are your goals in photography? (Personal use only? Will you aspire to professional status and wish to sell your work?)
    How will you use the camera? (Family, events, sports, ... ?)
    What is your experience level and background in photography?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    What are your goals in photography? (Personal use only? Will you aspire to professional status and wish to sell your work?)
    How will you use the camera? (Family, events, sports, ... ?)
    What is your experience level and background in photography?

My goals are to take nice pictures that my fiance and I will appreciate. I don't really plan to try to become a pro at this point, but who knows?
    I'll be using the camera for mostly taking pictures of family and people (in natural settings not studio portraits), outdoors, and architecture.
    My experience is strictly point and shoot cameras, most of which were Canon. I haven't taken any classes, but will when I get a DSLR to get the basics.

Kris
    edited July 18, 2008
    mud390 wrote:
    My goals are to take nice pictures that my fiance and I will appreciate. I don't really plan to try to become a pro at this point, but who knows?
    I'll be using the camera for mostly taking pictures of family and people (in natural settings not studio portraits), outdoors, and architecture.
    My experience is strictly point and shoot cameras, most of which were Canon. I haven't taken any classes, but will when I get a DSLR to get the basics.

Kris

That's very reasonable. Either the XTi or the used 30D that Gus mentioned should work fine. I do highly recommend an external flash and some simple light modifiers that you can build very inexpensively.

The "kit" lens really needs to be used at smaller apertures for best results. Try to use at least f5.6 on the wide end and f8 at 50mm. That means you will likely need additional light for the indoor shots.

Outdoors the flash can provide some fill light as well, although sometimes the built-in flash can suffice for fill applications.

The external flash can be as simple as a Sunpak 383 Super or a Vivitar 285HV. It does appear that the Sunpak was discontinued and it's getting hard to find.

Either the Canon 430EX or 580EX would make a great choice, but the 580EX is fairly expensive. A Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash is also a good choice IMO. All of these flashes come with an autofocus assist light to help the lens focus in really poor light.
    ziggy53
    edited July 18, 2008
    BTW, and getting back to your original question, $630 "is" a good price for a new Canon XTi with the kit lens.
    ziggy53
  • mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    BTW, and getting back to your original question, $630 "is" a good price for a new Canon XTi with the kit lens.

I have been watching Ebay, as well as the local classifieds for an XTI or 30D/40D. I haven't really run across any "great" deals yet, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled. Thank you for the advice on the external flash and the aperature settings.

Kris
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    mud390 wrote:
    I have been watching Ebay, as well as the local classifieds for an XTI or 30D/40D. I haven't really run across any "great" deals yet, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled. Thank you for the advice on the external flash and the aperature settings.

Kris
    I would be wary about 'good deals' on ebay. The good deals are the cameras that are priced $50 dearer on the forums such as ours but the user has a history in there so you know pretty well that you are not going to get ripped off. Not saying you will on ebay but there is a lot to be said for a seller 'known' to a forum.
  • faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Have you checked butterflyphoto.com? I've purchased 5 cameras from them with no problems. They have the lowest prices I can find that aren't grey market or refurbished. If you're going to buy new I suggest that you take a look at them. I wouldn't buy lenses there, but their body only deals and their body + lens kit deals are awesome. For lenses I usually hunt around on Ebay, but I've also bought from KEH.com and Tri-State Camera without any problems. If you're comparing lens prices between Ebay, KEH, Tri-State and Amazon.com, remember that Amazon charges you your state sales tax. Don't forget to add that & shipping into the equation before you make a decision.
    edited July 19, 2008
    Have you checked butterflyphoto.com? I've purchased 5 cameras from them with no problems. They have the lowest prices I can find that aren't grey market or refurbished. If you're going to buy new I suggest that you take a look at them. I wouldn't buy lenses there, but their body only deals and their body + lens kit deals are awesome. For lenses I usually hunt around on Ebay, but I've also bought from KEH.com and Tri-State Camera without any problems. If you're comparing lens prices between Ebay, KEH, Tri-State and Amazon.com, remember that Amazon charges you your state sales tax. Don't forget to add that & shipping into the equation before you make a decision.

Recent ratings for Butterfly are pretty poor (and lifetime ratings are not so good):

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ButterFly_Photo

I don't think I can recommend them with only a 50% approval.
    ziggy53
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    mud390 wrote:

Kris
    that seems like a good price for the canon. But if you're really concerned about price, you can go for a bunch of other options for the types of photography you plan to do.

The cheapest is the Nikon D40 w/18-55mm (470.00) which has fewer megapixels (you can still make good prints from it though to 8x10 no problem, if its a good lower ISO shot they can go up to 16x20 and larger). You just have to be careful which lenses you buy, because not all autofocus with the body.

If you're a member at Costco they are selling the Olympus E-420 for 500 on their website with the kit lens and a 2gb cf. I just picked one of these cameras up a few days ago and it's been amazing.

Also at $500 is the Sony A200 w/18-70mm I don't have any direct experience with these bodies, but it definitely seems like a good deal for what you're going to be shooting. And for $100 more you can get the a300 which includes live view and tiltable LCD
    edited July 19, 2008
    That's weird. I've never had an issue with them or any of the products. Everything I've bought from them was new in the box with a manufacturer's USA warranty. Shipping was always timely, with tracking #. The only time I had a problem with shipping was when they shipped through DHL. It was a day late. My friend ordered his 40D through them with no issues.

The only complaint I have about them (and I consider it minor) is that when you place your order you can expect a cal to "confirm" it so they can try to sell you a warranty/extra battery/memory card, etc. I just tell them I'm broke after buying the camera and they drop the subject and ship my stuff. It's no worse than Best Buy, etc trying to sell you an extra, but it slows down the shipping by a day.

But if I had seen these reviews before I ordered from them, I probably would have passed them up myself.

The BBS report on there says they relocated to NJ in 2006. I've been ordering from them since 2001-2002 and they've been in NJ since then. The area code they always call from is NJ and the return shipping label was always a NJ address. Maybe they had a NYC storefront and a NJ warehouse?

I've had worse luck with Adorama. I bought my 1D MK2n from them on Ebay and they dropped the ball from start to finish. No responses to emails after I paid, shipped a day late (they did upgrade to overnight at least), forgot to put the charger in the box, didn't mention the hot shoe was loose in the auction description, finally shipped the charger, which arrived a full 8 days after the camera and it isn't an OEM charger. I think that should have been mentioned in the auction description. Every time I called I got passed off to someone else 3 or 4 times and hung up on more than once. And a minor bitch, but the camera was filthy when it arrived. Adorama is supposed to be one of the trustworthy businesses to deal with, but I doubt they'll ever see another dime from me.

My last order with Butterfly was Nov 2006, so I'll be watching that list to see how they do before I buy from them again.
    edited July 19, 2008
    Also at $500 is the Sony A200 w/18-70mm I don't have any direct experience with these bodies, but it definitely seems like a good deal for what you're going to be shooting.

My coworker just bought the A200 w/2 lens kit. It's OK, but it kind of feels like a toy. It had a good review (IIRC) on dpreview.com, but I wasn't that impressed with it in person. The lenses felt cheap too. I know, they're kit lenses, but even the Canon Nifty Fifty feels more solid than the Sony kit lenses. The camera just didn't look/feel like it was going to be around for more than 12 months before it started falling apart.

My first DSLR was the XTi. I've used and abused it and it still works great after 60,000+ actuations. Shutter life is supposed to be 50,000. It's been through a lot for a consumer camera and it still works like it was new. I carried it everywhere up until a few weeks ago. Now my wife has it and she's learning how to use it.