New to Photography

AllannAllann Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited July 19, 2008 in Landscapes
I'm new to photography and smugmug and thought I'd drop in and say hi, Hi.

I am wondering if a few of the readers here could pop by my new smugmug site and add a few critiques to my photos. I am mainly looking for how I can improve as a photographer.

This is one of my latest shots, taken tonight on the way home from work.
333985391_jwSJr-XL.jpg
Updated to be the larger image.

Thanks in advance for those that take the time.

Allan
Canon 5D2, 1D3
600/4 L, 70-200/2.8 L, 24-70 L

My smugmug account

Comments

• zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Allann wrote:
    I'm new to photography and smugmug and thought I'd drop in and say hi, Hi.

I am wondering if a few of the readers here could pop by my new smugmug site and add a few critiques to my photos. I am mainly looking for how I can improve as a photographer.

This is one of my latest shots, taken tonight on the way home from work.

Thanks in advance for those that take the time.

Allan

Hey Allan,

Welcome to DGrin.

My first advice is to post larger! People will want to view the pictures as large as you'll let them. I find when linking from my SM account using the Large size works best on the forums. XL if I'm doing all portraits or panos. People will be a lot more willing to chime in about things posted than following a link (or so I've found). There are a many that will follow your link and come back, but I know I'm guilty of not following links often.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure people much more qualified than me will be more than happy to chime in about your photos :smo
    Travis
  • edge100edge100 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Welcome!

I would also like to see this shot a big bigger. I like the symmetry here with the reflection, placing the horizon near the middle of the shot balances things out nicely.

But bigger is better. I usually post with the 'Large' image from my SM account, and I find that works nicely.
  • AllannAllann Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Thanks for comments
    edge100 wrote:
    Welcome!

I would also like to see this shot a big bigger. I like the symmetry here with the reflection, placing the horizon near the middle of the shot balances things out nicely.

But bigger is better. I usually post with the 'Large' image from my SM account, and I find that works nicely.
    Thanks for the comments. And I will take on your advice and post larger pictures. Here's another I took that same evening.
    333985400_e8ncM-XL.jpg

i prefer pictures of and about nature (flora and fauna) and hence most of my shots are landscapes or plants.
    Canon 5D2, 1D3
    600/4 L, 70-200/2.8 L, 24-70 L

My smugmug account
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    I love the mood in both shots. The still water really exudes peace. thumb.gif

Welcome and don't be shy about posting shots here. Most people are very open to critiquing in the threads and when they do that (and you offer your images for it) we all read and learn.

wave.gif