First shots with my new Bees!

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited July 18, 2008 in People
Finally broke down and bought two Alien Bees. My family is all out of town so I had nobody to play with!frown.gif

First shot right out of the box.biggrin.gif

333808540_XXgh9-XL.jpg

Then tried a more traditional headshot using one umbrella and the fill just with the AB reflector. No need for a hair light.rolleyes.gif

333808493_mdNex-XL.jpg

These are going to be fun when my family gets home!
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Comments

• shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Love the shot "right out of the box"

Have fun with your new AB's.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    I have a set as well. Enjoy.

Sam

PS: I do like the first shot, and the concept, but I would adjust the white balance a little. :D
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    White Balance...
    Sam,

I'm curious as to how you would adjust the white balance. And why.

I like it the way it is...but, if you could demonstrate how adjusting the white balance would make it better, I'd like to see it.

TIA
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Ed,

I just thought on first glance that it "might" look better with a more natural color as opposed to the red / brown hue.

Now I'm not so sure.

That's the great thing about photography, and the processing, we all get to do it out way, and I don't believe there is any one best way to process an image. Each different interpretation can produce a different emotion, or response.

I tried to get the face to more natural color, but can't do it!

The box was pretty easy but the face eludes me.

As to how.................wow there are about 5000 ways I think. auto color, saturation / hue, channel mixer, selective color, color balance, RAW converter, LAB, etc. :D

Sam

PS: a different process, not better, different.

OK, after seeing both on this forum, I like the origiral the best. :-) I have left the post for the heck of it.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Sheesh that looks like some fun new toys....

...hope this doesn't mean we won't be seeing anymore of the garage door lighting.:D

Hey....as an afterthought....I bet some here would pay top dollar for your garage in the used equipment listings!!!....can it be used with a Canon mount?rolleyes1.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Now that's thinking outside the box.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Hey, you can drive over here and we can play together :D

Congrats on your new toys, always exiting! Great self portraits as well. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Your garage lighting was pretty good, and i can only imagine what you would do with these!! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8