Firefighters POV

VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
edited July 19, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Well not really their exact POV, but I stood about 10 feet behind them while I took these (sorry for small size, I don't give the public fullsize access to my fire images, because I sell them):

071808NBFD_43.jpg

071808NBFD_45.jpg

071808NBFD_44.jpg

071808NBFD_48.jpg

071808NBFD_31.jpg

And some others of the fire itself:

071808NBFD_5.jpg

071808NBFD_1.jpg

071808NBFD_10.jpg

071808NBFD_16.jpg

071808NBFD_23.jpg

I tried to get a buncha different silhoutte photos, because I don't have many of these in my albums.

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Wow, what a shooting opportunity, even if it is aweful as a fire for someone else!

Great series.clap.gifclap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Shooting fire can be tricky... its FIRE. Automatic mode doesnt work. If you use a flash you hafta adjust things properly. Its basically shoot at lots of different settings and publish one that looks good.

I try NOT to use a flash, mainly because firefighters wear reflective clothing, and it looks yucky in the finished photo.

But for overall shots i'll use a flash, but when i do the up-close shots, i usually get a silhoutte, which i actually like.

Its rare for me to catch a working fire, hasta be going good. Otherwise by the time I get on scene, park away from the scene and walk up, things are already knocked down. This happened to be a big fire and i was on the road as soon as I heard it come in. I followed them into the back yard, stood along the back fence while I shot them working.

These guys know me and love seeing their photos so they generally don't say a word when im there taking photos. Afterall, they'll be printing them to hang on their walls.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    Well not really their exact POV, but I stood about 10 feet behind them while I took these (sorry for small size, I don't give the public fullsize access to my fire images, because I sell them):

And some others of the fire itself:

I tried to get a buncha different silhoutte photos, because I don't have many of these in my albums.

Your on the spot photography is really interesting.
    You would have been able to feel the heat off of that fire wouldn't you?

Kind of scary being that close to the action, but quite adrenaline rushing I bet.

These look great, hope no one was injured, and I hope they had insurance to cover the damage, so many folks don't.

Excellent Action Series Vycor clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Very nice work, Adam.
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    This fire I didn't feel much and I was realllly close... maybe i did but don't remember.

One fire yeah you could feel it pretty good as you walked passed.
  • tinfishtinfish Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Great shots. #4 looks really cool with the light coming through the wood slats.
    Jeff Harbin
    "Life of Riley" Photography
    www.lifeofrileyphotography.com