Options

Richard - file hierarchy

JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
edited July 19, 2008 in Finishing School
<<< IMO, using a file hierarchy structure or file naming conventions is ancient thinking, and not a good basis upon which to organize your photos. Rather, you should use keywords and IPTC metadata to identify and access your pics and a database system that provides all the dimensions you need to structure your searching. >>>

Richard

I don’t understand what you mean, but I would very much like to. I’m interested. Would you be willing to explain in more detail, or point me to a resource?

I think I use a file hierarchy structure (as far as I know). When you say to use keywords to identify, do you mean use the keywords in the actual filename?
I have lots of gaps in my understanding of digital and this is one of them. It’s time I learned about metadata etc.
Thanks,
Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 18, 2008
    JimW wrote:
    <<< IMO, using a file hierarchy structure or file naming conventions is ancient thinking, and not a good basis upon which to organize your photos. Rather, you should use keywords and IPTC metadata to identify and access your pics and a database system that provides all the dimensions you need to structure your searching. >>>

Richard

I don’t understand what you mean, but I would very much like to. I’m interested. Would you be willing to explain in more detail, or point me to a resource?

I think I use a file hierarchy structure (as far as I know). When you say to use keywords to identify, do you mean use the keywords in the actual filename?
    I have lots of gaps in my understanding of digital and this is one of them. It’s time I learned about metadata etc.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Jim,

The standard reference for this topic is The DAM Book, by Peter Krogh.

The main idea is that file and folder names are too cumbersome for people to use as a means of finding old pics. When you have tens of thousands of shots spanning years of work, you need a more efficient way to get to what you are looking for. Enter Digital Asset Management (DAM) systems. These are computer databases that associate image metadata (keywords, EXIF, IPTC fields, and other user created data) with the physical location of each image. Instead of rummaging through many folders and sub-folders, you enter search terms and the system shows you thumbnails of everything that matches your search. When you select the ones you were looking for, it will tell you their file names and where to find them in online or off-line storage. Both Lightroom and Aperture have databases that will perform these functions, and there are a number of heavier-weight dedicated database systems that offer more complete functionality. The downside to all this is that you must take the time to enter the keywords etc., into the database yourself when you import the pics. It requires effort, but it doesn't take too many lost pics to convince most people that it's worth the trouble.

HTH.
  • Options
    JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Excellent. Thanks Richard. I'll read the book. :D

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    JimW wrote:
    Excellent. Thanks Richard. I'll read the book. :D
    I would agree with Richard about the Peter Krogh book. It really is the best on the subject (in my opinion :D )

Anthony.