Courtney...Recycled!

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited July 19, 2008 in People
I have been cleaning house so to speak on my hard drive. Just trying to get ready for this school year, and burn off some nervous energy as I have to be at a wedding rehearsal in a couple hours for a wedding I am shooting tommorrow.

These shots were taken during a senior portrait session, but were discarded for various reasons and not presented to her in her senior portfolio. I decided to play around with them a bit today.

Anyway....who else wants to share some mistakes in the forum?:D

1- I wasn't satisfied with her eyes on this one. It was taken early in the shoot before I realized that her left eye was n't opening as much as her right. This is more common than you might think. I later used varying angles to make it less noticable. The processing here is a lightroom preset I have been working out. I call it "Lomo" even though it isn't in the true style of the lomo look.

334142623_X4oH3-L.jpg

2- I had been trying to come up with a way to incorperate the engraved "Louisiana" on one of the capitol building steps into a photo. This attempt fell flat for me. I didn't light her face well enough and left her with dark eyes. That is a very dramatic sky by South Louisiana definition! I still hope to pull something off one day with the steps, but this cam off as too centered for me. We were in a stiff wind, under dreary skys, on a rather cold day.
334142638_2qoj3-L.jpg

3- This is a closer in composition taken seconds from the one above. I had promised her that if we could stick with it and work with the wind rather than against it her photos would benifit from the wind. For the most part I was right, and her windblown hair really made her senior photos stand out from others I did. This shot was tossed due to wind though. She clearly has a teardrop running down her right cheek. We changed locations after this shot...driving to the river front to finish her shoot in a sunnier location!
334142663_ZLp3j-L.jpg

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    I think they look pretty good. I don't recall seeing this girl before in your shots. She is pretty, and your work is very good. I'm sure her portfolio is excellent, because these are very well done! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    1- I wasn't satisfied with her eyes on this one. It was taken early in the shoot before I realized that her left eye was n't opening as much as her right. This is more common than you might think. I later used varying angles to make it less noticable. The processing here is a lightroom preset I have been working out. I call it "Lomo" even though it isn't in the true style of the lomo look.

334142623_X4oH3-L.jpg

I. Love. This. Photo!!!! HOT. I just love her face, her style, and the processing. I thought it deserved an attempt....didn't have a lot of pixels to work with but here's my shot at it.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I. Love. This. Photo!!!! HOT. I just love her face, her style, and the processing. I thought it deserved an attempt....didn't have a lot of pixels to work with but here's my shot at it.

Thanks Lynne. Looks like you lightened under her eyes a bit. ...and maybe cooled it off a tad.

She is a gorgeous young lady, and for the most part the wind was in our favor...as in this photo. Lucky me, her mother was super pleased with her photos and her younger sister will be a senior this coming school year. They look a lot alike with the exception that her sister is much taller. I can't wait!!

I was taking on average around 300 frames during my senior shoots...so...I skipped over many...many shots that were the least bit iffy. Looking back, some weren't all THAT bad!!rolleyes1.gif
    edited July 18, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I think they look pretty good. I don't recall seeing this girl before in your shots. She is pretty, and your work is very good. I'm sure her portfolio is excellent, because these are very well done! thumb.gif

Yeah you saw her...I am sure of it!!!:D

Here's a link to her portfolio...
    http://jkmann.smugmug.com/gallery/4565669_rnLe4#269070166_J55Ap
    edited July 18, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks Lynne. Looks like you lightened under her eyes a bit. ...and maybe cooled it off a tad.

I didn't mess with the color.....I opened her other eye! Or maybe I didn't. headscratch.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Yes yes, of course, now i remember her :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited July 18, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I didn't mess with the color.....I opened her other eye! Or maybe I didn't. headscratch.gif

Ha....I see it now...."liquified"!
    edited July 18, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Yes yes, of course, now i remember her :D

mwink.gif
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    First off, I really admire your work. I've been seriously considering doing some paid work on the side in the same categories you work in. I have the equipment and the means but frankly lack the knowledge when it comes to lighting, composition, posing and locating good locations to shoot in. Seeing your work seriously discourages me from taking the leap.

Could you comment why you kicked photo #2. To me it seems very good. You said the wind worked to your favor but then kicked this photo because of wind. There is none in the face, eyes, etc. and seems like a keeper to me. The tear drop could easily be cloned out if that was a problem. The only thing I don't like is that the face seems a tad bit overprocessed. To the point that you've removed the dimple in her cheek. However, maybe this soft look was the goal.
    edited July 18, 2008
    crockett wrote:
    First off, I really admire your work. I've been seriously considering doing some paid work on the side in the same categories you work in. I have the equipment and the means but frankly lack the knowledge when it comes to lighting, composition, posing and locating good locations to shoot in. Seeing your work seriously discourages me from taking the leap.

Could you comment why you kicked photo #2. To me it seems very good. You said the wind worked to your favor but then kicked this photo because of wind. There is none in the face, eyes, etc. and seems like a keeper to me. The tear drop could easily be cloned out if that was a problem. The only thing I don't like is that the face seems a tad bit overprocessed. To the point that you've removed the dimple in her cheek. However, maybe this soft look was the goal.

I think you meant #3...

I kicked it because she was crying...and had some serious chill bumps....and as I said, with 300ish photos on the CF cards I could be choosy. When I came across it today I realized it wasn't half bad...but you are right...I overdid the soft look didn't I.

You have no reason to be discouraged...especially by my work!rolleyes1.gif

Doing this type of work does give ample opportunity to learn if you desire to do so. I say put yourself out there...even if not paid...doing the type of work you wish to do. Once you get confidence in yourself up the ante.
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Ok, good, I understand how you kicked it because of other better choices. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing some "senior portrait" no no.

I've considered going the "comp" route but even then I'm quite fearful. Mainly because of reputation. Even if I go and shoot some photographs of a high school student for free and they turn out so so, I have really only have two choices. Pass out mediocre work (my least favorite choice) or either tell them the photos were not suitable for printing (either honestly why or make up an excuse about technical problems). Either choice I think starts your reputation off on a bad foot.

What I am going to start doing is, practicing with my daughter. She is going to be a sophomore this fall. So I already have a "potential client" list (her friends) but I want my work to be to my satisfaction before offering up services. Free or paid.
    edited July 19, 2008
    crockett wrote:
    Ok, good, I understand how you kicked it because of other better choices. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing some "senior portrait" no no.

I've considered going the "comp" route but even then I'm quite fearful. Mainly because of reputation. Even if I go and shoot some photographs of a high school student for free and they turn out so so, I have really only have two choices. Pass out mediocre work (my least favorite choice) or either tell them the photos were not suitable for printing (either honestly why or make up an excuse about technical problems). Either choice I think starts your reputation off on a bad foot.

What I am going to start doing is, practicing with my daughter. She is going to be a sophomore this fall. So I already have a "potential client" list (her friends) but I want my work to be to my satisfaction before offering up services. Free or paid.

I had plenty of experience with my daughters and their friends before starting. It is a good way to gain experience AND get great shots of her. Informal prom and dance photos are another good way. I usually break out some new idea or other when working with willing clients. "Hey I got something I have been wanting to try....are you ok with that?"...usually they say yes. If it works it works...if not...I know to move on.

Also, if you are remotely like me you will rarely be satisfied with what you churn out. There is always...always room to improve.
    edited July 19, 2008
    crockett wrote:

That is the most intelligent thing you can do.....put the horse in front of the cart, and learn on friends and family to get comfortable, putting out good results until you are ready to put your shingle out there. You shouldn't fear telling your friends and family that you're learning, and shots might not turn out....like we might have if an acquaintance or certainly a paid stranger. Kudos and good luck to you, and hope you post your pics here for feedback. deal.gifthumb

Myself, I have some senior shoots coming up in the next couple of months and you can bet I'll be studying Jeff's posts to prepare!
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited July 19, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    That is the most intelligent thing you can do.....put the horse in front of the cart, and learn on friends and family to get comfortable, putting out good results until you are ready to put your shingle out there. You shouldn't fear telling your friends and family that you're learning, and shots might not turn out....like we might have if an acquaintance or certainly a paid stranger. Kudos and good luck to you, and hope you post your pics here for feedback. deal.gifthumb

Myself, I have some senior shoots coming up in the next couple of months and you can bet I'll be studying Jeff's posts to prepare!

I decided to hire myself out as a photographer after my daughter's friends parents kept telling me that I should be charging for my photography. Practice what you know. Learn what you don't. Don't try out more than one new technique at a time. You will know when the time is right.