Using textures

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited July 20, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
It seems that using texture on photographs is everywhere. I love this technique. If done right it just seems to make a special photograph, even more special. I don't know, but I love it.
Here is a photograph of a teeter-totter that is next door to my sisters house. From what I've heard, this was the actual teeter-totter that this neighbors kids used to play on and this neighbor is in her upper 80's? I'm not sure, but I know that this thing is old.
334000971_2gLuE-L.jpg
334001176_YwPAD-L.jpg
334343862_SdTUh-L.jpg

Comments

• JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Great work! I really enjoy the 2nd and the last! Care to explain a bit of your technique ? :P
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Jermbubba wrote:
    Great work! I really enjoy the 2nd and the last! Care to explain a bit of your technique ? :P

On the last photograph, I used Pioneer Woman's soft and faded action on it. Then flickr has free textures. I just found one that I liked and layered it over the image. I think I may have put it as an overlay instead of the normal. I don't know what that section is called where you can choose this, but it's in the layers section of cs3. Sometimes I reduce the opacity of the textured layer, sometimes I don't. I just play with it until I get a result that I like. Hope that helps. :D
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    On the last photograph, I used Pioneer Woman's soft and faded action on it. Then flickr has free textures. I just found one that I liked and layered it over the image. I think I may have put it as an overlay instead of the normal. I don't know what that section is called where you can choose this, but it's in the layers section of cs3. Sometimes I reduce the opacity of the textured layer, sometimes I don't. I just play with it until I get a result that I like. Hope that helps. :D

It does.

I know that some photographers perhaps don't want others to talk about how they do their cool shots, but if you do something obvious PS, then its great when you talk about it. Thanks so much!
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    It does.

I know that some photographers perhaps don't want others to talk about how they do their cool shots, but if you do something obvious PS, then its great when you talk about it. Thanks so much!

I have CS3 and I have a fair idea on working a lot of things but I don't know the procedure for the texture one you are on about. It may be too involved to tell me on here. I keep getting Canon the PhotoPlus magazine and every month they have great tutorials, so one day it may appear.
    Regards
    Bob
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    I have CS3 and I have a fair idea on working a lot of things but I don't know the procedure for the texture one you are on about. It may be too involved to tell me on here. I keep getting Canon the PhotoPlus magazine and every month they have great tutorials, so one day it may appear.
    Regards
    Bob

I play with the filters in CS3 and I haven't seen something like this in there, but I could be missing something headscratch.gif

I was playing with a photo using the waterpaper filter and messed around with the fiber length, but didn't get something as nice as whats in the last photo posted.
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    If you go to the Flickr website, type in free textures. This is where I got the texture that you see in my photos. They are free to download and you save them to your computer. It kind of looks like mini-wallpaper and you may have to scale it to the size of the photograph. Once you resize the texture, then you can reduce the opacity of it to see your original photograph. :D
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    If you go to the Flickr website, type in free textures. This is where I got the texture that you see in my photos. They are free to download and you save them to your computer. It kind of looks like mini-wallpaper and you may have to scale it to the size of the photograph. Once you resize the texture, then you can reduce the opacity of it to see your original photograph. :D

Wow, simple but effective! Thanks a million.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008

Thanks Julie thumb.gif

But when I checked out the textures for downloading some are listed as "for non-commerical use" or licenced. This is a dumb question, but can they be used on a photo and sold?
    edited July 20, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thanks Julie thumb.gif

But when I checked out the textures for downloading some are listed as "for non-commerical use" or licenced. This is a dumb question, but can they be used on a photo and sold?

That part I'm not sure of. I have never put them on any that I've sold. I would imagine that we would probably have to ask the creator of the texture. If they say no, then...ne_nau.gif

That's a good question, though.