Cold Morning Skyline

zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited July 21, 2008 in Landscapes
This was part of a different series, but after processing these three I decided to split them up. I think they stand on their own much better than with the other series. Also stumbled on a different PP technique. Let me know what you think.

334715765_P7dYw-XL-1.jpg

334715698_PXDdg-XL-1.jpg

334715619_MLtmn-XL-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Travis

Comments

• ArchNPArchNP Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Hmm..quite new concept for me to see. You have focussed more on bg than foreground. Its making the picture a bit hazy..but it doesn't stress eyes, so, I find it nice.
    Any comments on my pics would be appreciated, thanks: www.MyGreatWorld.com/christian/
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    ArchNP wrote:
    Hmm..quite new concept for me to see. You have focussed more on bg than foreground. Its making the picture a bit hazy..but it doesn't stress eyes, so, I find it nice.

Glad you like it! I wasn't specifically focusing on the BG, I was focused at ∞.
    Travis
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Nice processing. You've succeeded in giving this a very cold and industrial feel. I really like the first one!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    It's so funny that these images look to me like it was a blisteringly hot summer day. :lol4

Ahem. Anyway, I'm thrilled that you stumbled upon a new way to process your b/w images. The second one is my favorite I think because it's the "cleanest" and most focused. The skyline and other buildings really fill the frame there and I think there's the best balance of subject and negative space.

The haze in the first bothers me a little, but I can't put my finger on why. I think the haze is the biggest reason why I look at these and think of a sweltering hot summer Chicago day. headscratch.gif

In general these images would make great backdrops, I think. For my own personal taste, however, I think the subject needs to be more powerful and for a city skyline I'm not sure how to do that.

Nonetheless I know this was a great learning experience for you and as long as you're pleased with what you've come away with, my opinion doesn't matter. lol3.gif

:hide
    edited July 21, 2008
    Nice processing. You've succeeded in giving this a very cold and industrial feel. I really like the first one!

Thanks! Was definitely going for the cold industrial feel.

ps. love your .sig
    Travis
    edited July 21, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    It's so funny that these images look to me like it was a blisteringly hot summer day. :lol4

Ahem. Anyway, I'm thrilled that you stumbled upon a new way to process your b/w images. The second one is my favorite I think because it's the "cleanest" and most focused. The skyline and other buildings really fill the frame there and I think there's the best balance of subject and negative space.

The haze in the first bothers me a little, but I can't put my finger on why. I think the haze is the biggest reason why I look at these and think of a sweltering hot summer Chicago day. headscratch.gif

In general these images would make great backdrops, I think. For my own personal taste, however, I think the subject needs to be more powerful and for a city skyline I'm not sure how to do that.

Nonetheless I know this was a great learning experience for you and as long as you're pleased with what you've come away with, my opinion doesn't matter. lol3.gif

:hide

You know I appreciate all constructive criticism. I'm really wondering where the haze came from in the first shot. You don't normally get much in the way of haze at 3º F.
    Travis
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Thank you!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed