Options

Resealable photo poly bags

Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited June 8, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm looking for a sorce for resealable poly bags to place either 4x6 or 5x7 matted photos in. These photos will be for sale in a few local shops. I've looked around in town and nobody has them. Can anybody recommend a place on line?

Thanks

Eric
"My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    Mods can you please delete this thread. I found what I was looking for at B&H. Shoulda went there first11doh.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    How about posting a link to what you found? Might help others looking for similar items. Also, give a mini review once you get them if you are so inclined :D
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Mods can you please delete this thread. I found what I was looking for at B&H. Shoulda went there first11doh.gif

Eric
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    Here is the link. I'm going to order them tomorrow. I would be more than happy to give a little review when I get them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=307322&is=REG

Thanks,

Eric

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I'm looking for a sorce for resealable poly bags to place either 4x6 or 5x7 matted photos in. These photos will be for sale in a few local shops. I've looked around in town and nobody has them. Can anybody recommend a place on line?

Thanks

Eric
    Just a quick note here.................If you mat a 5X7 photo it will be larger than 5X7 and the bags are only 5X7?

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    It says it has a 3/8" tolerence so I'm wondering if that will be enough. If not maybe I'll go with a 4x6 or 3x5 with a 5x7 OD mat. And if all else fails I'm only out $8. Odered them today, says three day shipping so I'll have to wait and see if they will workne_nau.gif

Eric

• Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Well I got them on Monday and finally got around to using them today. I did have to use a 5x7 matte with a 4x6 opening. At first I thought that would be kinda small but after putting them together they seem pretty good to me. I'm using them to try and sell a few photos at local bookstores and what not that have local artist sections. Most of these stores use a greeting card rack to hold the photos so the 5x7 matte worked out great as it fits perfectly in the holder. All in all for $8 plus shipping you can't go wrong. I would have preferred a flap with adhesive but a small piece of scotch tape worked just fine. The bags are thick enough that they won't rip very easily but not to thick as to make it hard to see the photo. So overall I'm very happy with them and plan on ordering the ones for 8x10 also as one of the stores has requested some bigger pictures. Hope this info helps.

Eric

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:

Have you tried clearbags.com? I'm a satisfied customer, and heard about them from other photographers. I have not tried the size you are looking for, I was buying large bags for matted enlargements. But they have every size you can think of with a self-sealing flap.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    Where did you get the mats?

ginger

oh, can you send a photo?
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    Have you tried clearbags.com? I'm a satisfied customer, and heard about them from other photographers. I have not tried the size you are looking for, I was buying large bags for matted enlargements. But they have every size you can think of with a self-sealing flap.
    Thanks colourbox. I still haven't had a chance to order the bigger bags for 8x10 matted so maybe I will order form these guys. I really do like the idea of a resealable bag. It looks much neater than a piece of scotch tape on the back.

Eric

• Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    Have you tried clearbags.com? I'm a satisfied customer, . But they have every size you can think of with a self-sealing flap.
    Thanks for the tip. Got my order in from clearbags.com and have been very pleased.

Would like to know where you can get the cardboard (paper) w/ window type photo envelopes. Envelopes like the ones ezprints puts their photos in.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2005
    Please tell me where you got the mattes, in bulk, please.

ginger
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2005
    Hey ginger. For now I just went to walmart and got 10 4x6/5x7 mattes at 96 cents each. I wanted to try out the bags before I ordered a bulk amount of mattes. I don't know of a place to order bulk mattes at a good pricene_nau.gif sorry

Eric

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Please tell me where you got the mattes, in bulk, please.

ginger
    Ginger,

I am looking for some other suppliers, but for right now I have these on my short list.

Frame Destination Quality Frames and Mats

Matcutter.com You create the art, I’ll create the mats! Online store, precut m

Museum Quality Archival Mats, Frames & Mounting Supplies. - IconUSA

I would recomend you use at least acid free mats, not art paper. Also recomend acid free foam core backing, not cardboard. I am also using acid free tape.

Of course if you want to step up in quality you can use 8 mil cotton rag mats.

So far the frames from frame destination seem to be good quality, and reasonably priced.

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    Thanks, Erik and Susan: and the Sams.

Both ideas sound good to me.

I want to try going that route. We are coming into heavy tourist season here. The person who I was counting on to "display" my photos closed her shop after a gazillion years in business.rolleyes1.gif . Probably right after I asked her if I could sell my photos from there.:D

Anyway, that seems like a wonderful way to get started, with as little pain as I can think of. That is why I wanted to know about the mattes.

Then I figure, I want to go to my site, pick out some area photos, have them printed as 4 X 6s, go to some shops, galleries, etc....... and see what happens. I remember, myself, spending my last dollar to buy a photograph of the lighthouse, or a print of a painting, whichever. It was just representational. So that is the frame of mind, I am looking for. Happy people who want memories.

I need to get cracking, if I am going to do it. I think it is a great idea.

erik/susan, what kind of stores did you "hit" to display your things? What were your responses, as did you get rejected a lot. What kind of homework did you do? (I am hoping not to do any, smile)

thanks so much for the info on the mattes,
    ginger
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    That is great info, Sam.

The middle one just does mattes, and in all ways.

Fantastic,

ginger
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Erik and Susan: and the Sams.

Both ideas sound good to me.

I want to try going that route. We are coming into heavy tourist season here. The person who I was counting on to "display" my photos closed her shop after a gazillion years in business.rolleyes1.gif . Probably right after I asked her if I could sell my photos from there.:D

Anyway, that seems like a wonderful way to get started, with as little pain as I can think of. That is why I wanted to know about the mattes.

Then I figure, I want to go to my site, pick out some area photos, have them printed as 4 X 6s, go to some shops, galleries, etc....... and see what happens. I remember, myself, spending my last dollar to buy a photograph of the lighthouse, or a print of a painting, whichever. It was just representational. So that is the frame of mind, I am looking for. Happy people who want memories.

I need to get cracking, if I am going to do it. I think it is a great idea.

erik/susan, what kind of stores did you "hit" to display your things? What were your responses, as did you get rejected a lot. What kind of homework did you do? (I am hoping not to do any, smile)

thanks so much for the info on the mattes,
    ginger
    Since I live in a small town I pretty much know everybody so getting them to say yes was easy:D For some other places like the local book store they have a dedicated section for local artists prints and paintings, so I walked in with a few and they made some room for me. Now I carry a few with me and when I go into a store I simply check to see if they have a spot and ask, haven't been told no yet, yet is the key word.

Eric

• Options
    WaterfallRichWaterfallRich Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    Matboard source
    I'll also add my recommendations for Clearbags. I've used several of their different sizes and have been very satisfied.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned these folks for a source of matboard, but I use http://www.framingsupplies.com/ I found them online, then discovered they aren't very far from where I live - in Hendersonville, NC thumb.gif Prices for 32"x40" white core 4 ply regular Cresent matboard is generally just less than $4 per sheet. The only catch is you have to buy in increments of 25 (mix and match) if you want them shipped. You can also buy cut mats. If you order at least $100 worth, you get a decent discount. I recently bought about $100 worth of 16x20 double mats in colors of my choice, cut with a 1/4 inch reveal for 11x14 prints for $3.86 per set. The mats were perfectly cut, but not put together. A little double sided tape took care of that. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Clear Photo Bags
    The best and least expensive place I've found for clear photo bags is www.documounts.com

I get the ones that have adhesive on the bag rather than on the flap. This keeps the glue off of the images.

Lee
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    lfortier wrote:
    The best and least expensive place I've found for clear photo bags is www.documounts.com

I get the ones that have adhesive on the bag rather than on the flap. This keeps the glue off of the images.

Lee
    Excellent link, Lee, thanks for posting it. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au