Options

My name - Could it be a problem?

OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited August 30, 2013 in Mind Your Own Business
My name is Eddie Hade and I am working on my smugmug site. I call it "Hades Photography". But it has occurred to me that maybe some people might see the name "Hades" and think of it as somehow bad. I mean some people see the word Hades and think of Hell, or the devil. This may be sort of like how some people would think of a site called 666 photography. Some 17yr old Goth kid might think it's cool, but that's not my target client.

I haven't handed out business cards, or done anything official like start a dot.com or set up an LLC, so it's not to late to change.

So before I do anything like that, I would like as many people as possible to give an IMHO weather to keep it or go with something generic like "Moon River Photography"

http://edh.smugmug.com/

Thanks for your input.
Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I'm generic? :cry
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited July 20, 2008
    OhEddie wrote:
    My Name is Eddie Hade and I am working on my smugmug site. I call it "Hades Photography". But it has occurred to me that maybe some people might see the name "Hades" and think of it as somehow bad. I mean some people see the word Hades and think of Hell, or the devil. This may be sort of like how some people would think of a site called 666 photography. Some 17yr old Goth kid might think it's cool, but that's not my target client.

I haven't handed out business cards, or done anything official like start a dot.com or set up an LLC, so it's not to late to change.

So before I do anything like that, I would like as many people as possible to give an IMHO weather to keep it or go with something generic like "Moon River Photography"

http://edh.smugmug.com/

Thanks for your input.

How about River Styx Photography with a three-headed dog as a logo? rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, just add an apostrophe: Hade's Photography. Apart from being grammatically correct, it should lessen the association.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Sorry Andy :D
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Oh Eddie!
    OhEddie wrote:

I think it'd be a great name to be Oh Eddie Photography! People will remember that - there's a catch to it! It's Fun! They can spell it too.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    OhEddie wrote:
    How about just using your name "Eddie H. Photography"
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    i'm agreeing with richard here...just add the apostrophe
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited July 20, 2008
    Hey - it's your name. I'd say to go ahead and use it!

--- Denise
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 20, 2008
    What a ridiculous name. I mean really. Who would ever use Moon Ri..........

oh, um..... nevermind. eek7.gif

OK, Eddie - firstly using an apostrophe is a given not an option. That is of course assuming you respect proper English usage. (I'll refrain from correcting other grammatical errors in your post)

Why not use your full name in your banner; "Eddie Hade's Photography" would eliminate any concerns.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Mr. Ed, yeah you.the guy from Down Below Photography. I need to inform you that Andy is not Generic! He is a vegitarian. :D

Sam
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Mr. Ed, yeah you.the guy from Down Below Photography. I need to inform you that Andy is not Generic! He is a vegitarian. :D

Sam

Uh.....I thought it was vegan????????????:D

Just add the " and let it go......unless the OH Eddie one caught your attention........It would catch on quickly with the women folk:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Ed,
    I think you're right to rethink the name down here in the South.

What about something that is more phoentic? I don't know how to pronounce your last name but it might be a way to express you name without conjuring up images of devil worship...

- Mike

P.S. Whever I see Andy's company name it reminds me of a band I used to play in...on of our songs was Moon River and we used to practice in my living room with the wondows open - the neighbors would come out on thier front porches and listen to us.
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Richard, I know that grammatically it should contain an apostrophe, but I thought to leave it out because I wanted to add my own .com and call it HadesPhoto.com. I thought if I put the apostrophe in some of the not so computer literate moms buying pictures of little Johnny playing baseball might try to use Hade'sPhoto.com.

ChatKat, Oh Eddie Photography. I had not thought of that. I have always just thought of OhEddie as my online name. I'll keep it in mind

PineapplePhoto, - Eddie H. Photography doesn't pop for me and in the future I want my name to blend with my .com name and EddieHPhotography.com is a bit much. I would like to keep it simple.

DeniseGoldberg - The problem is that I'm in GA, not MA. People are a little different down here. My sons kindergarten teacher would have the kids say a blessing every day before they went to the school lunchroom. headscratch.gif Yes, it's a public school, but I'm not here to stir that pot.

Angelo - This is the south. Grammatical errors are a given, not an option rolleyes1.gif

Mr. 2H2O - "Hade" rhymes with "made". You wouldn't believe how many people get it wrong.
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Why not just drop the "s" completely - Hade Photography or Eddie Hade Photography?
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    rolleyes1.gifJust thought to tell you, I have a friend named Eddie Oh and every time I see one of your posts I think of him.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Lori - That's pretty cool clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Lori, My original thinking was that Hades Photography is different and it would catch peoples attention by making them think of the "other" meaning and then they would see that my last name IS Hade and it would then make sense.

This would all be much easier if I just used something simple, easy to remember and really cool, like Moon River Photography.
  • Options
    faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    You could just go with EHPhotography.com. Personally, I think EdHadesPhotography.com sounds good, but I shoot with a lot of rockabilly & psychobilly bands and pinup girls, so I'm jealous rolleyes1.gif

I've been going through the same debate about my own website name. I have had the nickname Faust for a long time, so I tend to stick with it for email addresses, etc. When I bought my domain name, I went with faustomatic.com and it's stuck with the crowd I shoot for. They remember who I am and no one confuses me with other photographers. But, I'd like to branch out into wedding photography and other forms of mainstream photography, so I think I'll have to get a 2nd domain name and link them to each other. I've considered using my real name Joe Graziano, but it's fairly common. Google Joe Graziano and you'll see a million links, some of my model building and a ton of everyone else from lawyers to doctors to race car drivers. So I'm sort of stuck too.

I'd like to see what you finally decide on. Maybe it'll help me too.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    You could just go with EHPhotography.com. Personally, I think EdHadesPhotography.com sounds good, but I shoot with a lot of rockabilly & psychobilly bands and pinup girls, so I'm jealous rolleyes1.gif

I've been going through the same debate about my own website name. I have had the nickname Faust for a long time, so I tend to stick with it for email addresses, etc. When I bought my domain name, I went with faustomatic.com and it's stuck with the crowd I shoot for. They remember who I am and no one confuses me with other photographers. But, I'd like to branch out into wedding photography and other forms of mainstream photography, so I think I'll have to get a 2nd domain name and link them to each other. I've considered using my real name Joe Graziano, but it's fairly common. Google Joe Graziano and you'll see a million links, some of my model building and a ton of everyone else from lawyers to doctors to race car drivers. So I'm sort of stuck too.

I'd like to see what you finally decide on. Maybe it'll help me too.

Eddie......I went to Hight School in Newton County Ar......talk about bak woods attitudes.....and even those hillbillies knew the difference between Hell and Hades.......Man stick with your name......How will you sign your photos with a company name or yours.......

FaustOmatic.......as a wedding Photog.....oh Faust would be so cool and all yo9u'd ever need to expalin to any one is that he was your Great grandfather X10 removed.......actually most people have forgotten they ever read that book due to the fact it was too deep for most to comprehend......go with Faust...might lose the omatic.....tooooo Gallagheresquemwink.gifwinkmwink.gifD
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    What's in a name?
    Since you are on the topic of names, I am also starting a new business. This is also my first post on the forum. I have strugled with the name of my business more than any other aspect. I wanted something other than my name Wes Mims. Clix photo is what I came up with. Do you like it or do I need to keep suffering over it? I want something short, catchy, and fun. I will mostly be shooting youth sports in my area but will also do some on- location portaits. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Wes
  • Options
    EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I think you're done :)
    Clixphoto wrote:
    ...Clix photo is what I came up with. Do you like it or do I need to keep suffering over it?

I like it. I think you've picked a winner.
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.
  • Options
    faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I like Clix Photo. It's easy to remember.

Art: Yeah, I was kind of being goofy...Instamatic/Faustomatic. Maybe I'll just do a 2nd domain for serious stuff PhotographyByFaust.com. Does that sound expensive and pretentious enough? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I don't think there was anything wrong with it.

When I first read your name....anything you mentioned didn't even cross my mind, but others knowing much more then I will let you know for sure on what to do :D
  • Options
    ellarueellarue Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I like the idea of Oh Eddie Photography. It sounds fun!
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    Clixphoto wrote:
    Since you are on the topic of names, I am also starting a new business. This is also my first post on the forum. I have strugled with the name of my business more than any other aspect. I wanted something other than my name Wes Mims. Clix photo is what I came up with. Do you like it or do I need to keep suffering over it? I want something short, catchy, and fun. I will mostly be shooting youth sports in my area but will also do some on- location portaits. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Wes
    Clix photo is cool.....or........clikz Foto, Clikz Pix, Clikz Picz......or....clix foto, clix pix, clix pix.......lots of variaations all fun also

• Options
    ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Thanks for your input. I am opening my bank account today.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    ClixPhoto - I like it. So I typed it in and either your real fast or it is already in use... http://clixphoto.com/
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Clix and Eddy
    I like ClixPhoto. Very cool. But I suggest you do a search first to make sure it's not already a registered business name -- at least in your own state. Could easily be a registered trademark too. It would be too bad if you end up building a lot of goodwill behind a name then end up having to change it!

And I like the EddyHadePhoto idea as well. Not sure why you'd want to make it singular possessive with 's. It just makes it complex and messes thing up for no real gain.

'Eddy Hade Photography' works real well! And even hadephoto makes a good, easy to remember, URL -- assuming it's available...
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Or you could use Charon Photorgaphy, he was the ferryman on the river Styx. I use my last name with my first initial for my business. Hade's sounds good too.
    You might try your first and middle name.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    I sure appreciate everyone’s input on this subject. I'm going to keep it as Hades Photography for now, and take some time to see if I can come up with something catchy and original. Not an easy task if you ask me. I will post my final decision here, but I’m in no hurry.
  • Options
    nobodynobody Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    OhEddie wrote:
    I sure appreciate everyone’s input on this subject. I'm going to keep it as Hades Photography for now, and take some time to see if I can come up with something catchy and original. Not an easy task if you ask me. I will post my final decision here, but I’m in no hurry.

The official business name is one thing, but the URL is another. You might consider multiple URL's if you think on might cause a problem with particular clients. But I do not see a problem with "Hade's Photography". Those who are not fully literate might be confused by it, but then again, those types are not likely to contribute siginificantly to your client base in the first place.