Options

using Smugmug ProSales for fund raising.

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited August 7, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've recently decided that I would attempt to sell some pictures to the "dirt bike" racers I've been photographing for the past few months to said racers using Smugmug ProSales.

As much to "make a little money" as to also motivate people to seek the pictures out. An average picture that makes it into the hands of the person in the picture doing something they're passionate about is a very unaverage thing.

Last week I learned that one of these local riders, and a close neighbor and friend of my cousin, was seriously injured while riding his dirt bike.

Seriously injured. :cry

This rider is just a boy, 16 years old.

I've decided that for the immediate future all proceeds of all sales will go to help this family out. There has already been a car wash, bake sale, etc, but the costs for what this family faces will be staggering.

So what I'm looking for here is input as to any ideas anyone has about using SmugMug Pro Sales as a tool for fundraising.

Things I may not be aware of?

Tax implications?

Ideas to generate revenue.

Gift Certificates? (are they available?)

Input as to how an effort like this will impact the other (2) "regular photographers" who've been at this much longer than me.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Amadeus aka Nachtflug

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Best check with a tax advisor... we'll send a 1099 form on profits earned, no matter what.
  • Options
    timganglofftimgangloff Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    here's what i am doing
    I recently shot two charity golf events. I told all the golfers that any sales profits would be donated to the charity. I guess it's up to me to be honest, but after a few weeks, I'll simply send a check for the profits earned as a result of these sales.

i recently read that you can not deduct your time as a donation to the charity, but there is a work around. I could have charged the charity $500 to shoot their event. Then, when they paid me, I could have just signed the check and given that back to them. The check I gave them can be deducted as long as it is a legit charity. Then, I can also donate any sales proceeds
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Waiving a Sitting Fee
    I recently shot two charity golf events. I told all the golfers that any sales profits would be donated to the charity. I guess it's up to me to be honest, but after a few weeks, I'll simply send a check for the profits earned as a result of these sales.

i recently read that you can not deduct your time as a donation to the charity, but there is a work around. I could have charged the charity $500 to shoot their event. Then, when they paid me, I could have just signed the check and given that back to them. The check I gave them can be deducted as long as it is a legit charity. Then, I can also donate any sales proceeds

My accountant advised me to 'waive' the sitting fee as part of the donation - which does, in fact, have a value. So while you can't write off $xxx / hr you can donate "a sitting fee and 11x14 valued $xxx.xx"

- Gary.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008

I've done the same. Charged the extra $100 then wrote them a check it $100 donation...