Options

Lighting Question

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited July 22, 2008 in Technique
Hi All,

I have 2 Canon 580EX II and 1 Canon 480EX flash units along with the Canon ST-E2 wireless transmitter. The configuration works great and I setup the units on stands with umbrellas which seem to work very well for a pseudo portable studio. My question revolves around what would be the best recommended umbrella to use to bounce the light back from the flash units in order to provide fill light? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

-Randy
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Hi All,

I have 2 Canon 580EX II and 1 Canon 480EX flash units along with the Canon ST-E2 wireless transmitter. The configuration works great and I setup the units on stands with umbrellas which seem to work very well for a pseudo portable studio. My question revolves around what would be the best recommended umbrella to use to bounce the light back from the flash units in order to provide fill light? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

-Randy

I have exactly the same rig as you do except one of my 580s is the mk I. Here my three main portrait lighting strategies. You'll see I change my setup depending on how many lights I need for the backdrop.

No light on background.
    Strobe for main
    Strobe for rim/hair
    Strobe through a 50" umbrella for fill.

One light on background
    Strobe for main
    Strobe for rim/hair
    Bounce main off 48" white reflector for fill.

Two lights for background (i.e. white background)
    Strobe for main
    Bounce background off 48" silver reflector for fill.

Note: my main light is usually too hard for fill, so I use a white reflector if I am bouncing it. However a white background is really soft, so sliver works great there.
  • Options
    tinfishtinfish Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    I have a couple of these. They are silver, which may or may not be what you are looking for. But very durable, and double folding so very compact. Very nice for taking on location.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/63313-REG/Westcott_2002_Umbrella_Soft_Silver_.html
    Jeff Harbin
    "Life of Riley" Photography
    www.lifeofrileyphotography.com
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Ah. You need to reading strobist.com. I don't work for them but I do like the very compact umbrellas they sell. Half the size ( when folded) of the ones I get from Alien bees / White lighting. depending upon what you shoot having a couple shoot-thru umbrellas is a good thing to have in your kit.