Olympus E-520 . . i think i want one =)

ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
edited July 20, 2008 in Cameras
Hello dgrin!

So here is my deal.. My 20D is "old" and im tired of it.. It´s big and heavy and i need the boatterygrip to make it fit good in my hand. But i am satisfied with how it works.

But here is the problem. Im so tired of the RAW files! they can´t take any abuse in photoshop :D Compared to my pentax K10D wihich i owned for allmost a year ago. Is the rawfiles better on the olumpus? i don´t know. But i know that the 20D rawfiles are half size compared to the Pentax.

I got my eys into the new oly Evolt-520. i know it fits my hand nicely. And the kit lens 14-42 seems to be very very nice. It is light and the 520 got better dynamic range then the 510.

i mean..Why shouldnt i buy this one?
well..the crop is 2x which is...well 2x :D but there is lenses that covers my range. And the 3rd party manufacurers is handing out lenses compatible with the 4/3 system. So i mean the system for it self is big.

I think i want one :D any thoughts aboyt my argument here?

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    RAW is RAW. Doesn't matter the camera, you still need to post process. Maybe you should be shooting JPEG, not matter the camera you own?

As for Olympus, if it works for you, go for it. I haven't seen the 4/3 take off like it was expected however.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Well, I have been a very satisfied Olympus user for years. I currently use the E-510, and think it is fantastic. It's size and ease of holding is spectacular. I have traveled to China, Utah, & England this summer and had my camera around my neck or in my hand almost the whole time. It's a great size, and is feature packed. I would get the E-520 - but I am biasedmwink.gif

Also, the lenses in the 4/3 system are really fantastic. It is definitely a safe system to buy into. There are 3 manufacturers that make lenses for the system (Olympus, Sigma, & Panasonic), and 3 manufacturers that make bodies (Olympus, Panasonic, Leica).

I give it two thumbs up thumb.gifthumb

If you want to see some samples, check out my photos from my recent trip to China. They are posted here: www.jonathanswinton.com
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    RAW is RAW. Doesn't matter the camera, you still need to post process. Maybe you should be shooting JPEG, not matter the camera you own?

As for Olympus, if it works for you, go for it. I haven't seen the 4/3 take off like it was expected however.

You did not get me.

I shoot in raw..Always! and i do post process and i know how to do it.

And there are differences between differant cameras and their image files.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I shoot almost entirely RAW with my E-510 and get great results out of it. I find there is a lot of extra highlight & shadow room if I need it when shooting raw. I think they do very well. Not sure of the size of RAW files on the E-520. They are about 9 megs. Smaller than on my old E-500 even though it was a smaller sensor. They were about 12 megs. So, that's nice.
    I am a happy RAW shooter.