New camera - wifi to upload?

kevinchamplinkevinchamplin Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited August 13, 2008 in Cameras
HI, i'm not a professional photographer but enjoy taking photos. Lately i've been taking more and more.

I've decided to store all my photos on smugmug rather than my pc (we had a flood last year and lost a bunch).

Are there any good cameras on the market that allow pictures to be uploaded to smugmug via wifi?

I currently have an Olympus sp500uz and its been good to me.

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Have you looked at eye-fi

It's a wireless memory that uploads using wi-fi.
  • kevinchamplinkevinchamplin Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    I just found that, I'd still need a new camera as mine takes xd cards. Has anyone used that wi-fi card? I'm interested in to how it works and what people think.

Its really got me interested though
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    It's neat technology -- we had it in our Canon SD630 for a while before I got obsessed with CHDK. But I'll probably put it back in as my wife is shooting more with it more lately.

One thing I like is that you can configure it to download both to a local computer *and* to SmugMug or other sites. Additionally if you upload locally, the software is smart enough to resend from the computer instead of burning up your camera battery to send it to SmugMug (or whereever) from the phone.

My main gripe is that it doesn't upload videos. We take a lot of videos, and at the very least it oughtta let you send them locally.

At a SmugMug party a little while back they stuck Eye-Fi cards into the SD slots of one of the fanciest Canon DSLRs that have both a CF and SD slots, and it seems to have worked great: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76964&page=8