6. Bikini - sitting

335347715_TtmQX-XL.jpg

7. Hair move

335348145_oYdiZ-XL.jpg

8. Mask 1

335348453_PM2NP-XL.jpg

9. Mask 2

335348765_LMPM8-XL.jpg

10. And finally, that's why I always suggest to bring a friend :-)

335349188_VCf4r-XL.jpg

Enjoy!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Nik-

I think these are the best (lighting wise) you have done yet. bowdown.gif

Very nice lighting. I like all of them until the mask ones ne_nau.gif

How many colors of material did you buy? Sheesh!!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Nik-
    I think these are the best (lighting wise) you have done yet. bowdown.gif
    Aaron, thanks!
    Maybe because this is the first time I used 6 light setup (4 rims, 1 hair, 1 main)? mwink.gif Well, some other modifiers, too...
    Gosh, it's so awesome to being able to put the lights where you want them! All those ABs really came in handy! deal.gif
    Very nice lighting. I like all of them until the mask ones ne_nau.gif
    Oh well... I wanted to play with theatrical lighting, and this seemed like a good opportunity. This was my second try with the large gels, so I admit I may not zero it in yet...ne_nau.gif
    How many colors of material did you buy? Sheesh!!
    I got 3 new pieces when I went to LA for the Oath. They look nice, don't they? I guess I have 10 pieces in total now, I intend to get more when I go next time:-)
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    These are fantastic.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I liked 9, and 10 the best, but they are all great.

Sam
    edited July 21, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    These are fantastic.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I liked 9, and 10 the best, but they are all great.

Sam

Thanks, Sam, appreciate the kind words! thumb.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    #1, Did you intend to put up two separate tease threads?

:lurk

rolleyes1.gif
    1, 2, 3, and 4:
    I like how how you matched the colors. I like 1 and 4 the most. I like the pose in 3 but too much stress on her supporting arm. I think her face is too dark in all but #1. Rim lights are fine. Main could be a little brighter.

#5, her face seems dark again. I see the shots you are looking at for the filters contest and think it would have been nice to get her jewelry sparkling more.

#6 thumb.gif

#7 and 8 are my favorite of the whole series.
    9 and 10 are sweet too.

clap.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    What a rewarding shoot! The more the merrier eh?!:D

Seriously though, you are very talented with your lighting. Great job!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 21, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    #1, Did you intend to put up two separate tease threads?

:lurk

rolleyes1.gif
    Nah, it's just a title of the particular frame/pose rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif
    1, 2, 3, and 4:
    I like how how you matched the colors. I like 1 and 4 the most. I like the pose in 3 but too much stress on her supporting arm. I think her face is too dark in all but #1. Rim lights are fine. Main could be a little brighter.
    Stress on the supporting arm: we were working on that, but I guess I missed it on this shot, thanks for reminding me, I'll pay more attention next time...

As to the main vs the rest: I'm still trying to fine tune the balance. At this point I set it up the main f/4, rims f/5.6, hair f/8 and expose for main, but
    I also could have overdone vignetting again ...headscratch.gif
    #5, her face seems dark again.
    Prolly same vignetting issue, although I think I double checked this one...
    I see the shots you are looking at for the filters contest and think it would have been nice to get her jewelry sparkling more.
    I'll try next weekend, would be a perfect opportunity to finally use the snoot:-)
    #6 thumb.gif
    :D

#7 and 8 are my favorite of the whole series.
    9 and 10 are sweet too.

clap.gif

Thanks again for your thoughts and your thourough critique! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    edited July 21, 2008
    What a rewarding shoot! The more the merrier eh?!:D
    Seriously though, you are very talented with your lighting. Great job!
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    At this point I don't think it's as much about the talent as about simply having the opportunity to use them. I'm still feeling like a little kid in a candy store, having 8 studio lights and an array of accessories at my command..eek7.gif Come think of it, half a year ago I only had two sunpacks and a couple of umbrellas...deal.gif , and now all this power and versatility...:ivar
  • VysionousVysionous Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    I'm a huge fan of the last three photos. Excellent.
    I have some comments though if I may.

1- In general, for all the shots, I think I felt a bit more separation between model/background would've enhanced the overall feel.

2- Shot 7,8 and 9, although being great as they are, but the skin tones needs adjustments, I don't know if you have intentionally gone for the very red skin, but in all cases oversaturation is visible specially on pic 9.

3- Picture 10 is a killer, I just wished the background was less exposed than the foreground (again, the separation)

4- The masks sequence I think a medium shot (as in picture 6) would've been great.

(I now just went to see if you allowed critique but didn't find any hints of C&C welcoming, so I hope my critique wouldn't bother you)

All in all, great work Lord Vader.
    In the dawn, an angel was dancing. Surrounded by an aura of light.
    But in the shadows, Vysionous was watching, and with patience awaiting the night.

http://vysionous.deviantart.com
    edited July 21, 2008
    Vysionous wrote:
    I'm a huge fan of the last three photos. Excellent.
    I have some comments though if I may.
    Thank you! And yes, C&C is welcome! thumb.gif
    1- In general, for all the shots, I think I felt a bit more separation between model/background would've enhanced the overall feel.

Yeah, I hear you.. I guess I can move her a couple feet closer.... I'll see what I can do next time...
    2- Shot 7,8 and 9, although being great as they are, but the skin tones needs adjustments, I don't know if you have intentionally gone for the very red skin, but in all cases oversaturation is visible specially on pic 9.
    Laughing.gif
    It wasn't a bad wb or bad saturation move. The whole scene was intentionally flooded with reddish/pink gelled light to bring pink boa and pinkish/rosish bg together,
    3- Picture 10 is a killer, I just wished the background was less exposed than the foreground (again, the separation)
    Thank you!:-)
    4- The masks sequence I think a medium shot (as in picture 6) would've been great.
    Oh I do have those (and I can always crop one out of the full body shot:-), but I had to watch the total post volume. This was a very coincise shoot frame-wise, I only took ~250 frames (as opposed to, say, 700+:-), out of which ~180 made the first cut and 35 were deleivered to the client. So I simply opted for those that would make the biggest impact - and I felt it would be a pure crime to lose those beautiful legs:-)
    (I now just went to see if you allowed critique but didn't find any hints of C&C welcoming, so I hope my critique wouldn't bother you)
    Sorry, my bad, forgot to mention it..
    All in all, great work Lord Vader.
    May the f/stop be with you! :D