Options

shooting architecture

yooperdooperyooperdooper Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited July 24, 2008 in Technique
i want to shoot some barns and hotels,i have a 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 canon lens,a 18-50mm 3.5-5.6 sigma lens and a 2x digital concepts af.what type of lens filter should i use?more than likely i will be shooting from a good distance.any advice?thank you yooperdooper i have an eos 30d

Comments

• Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    i want to shoot some barns and hotels,i have a 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 canon lens,a 18-50mm 3.5-5.6 sigma lens and a 2x digital concepts af.what type of lens filter should i use?more than likely i will be shooting from a good distance.any advice?thank you yooperdooper i have an eos 30d

Hmmmmmmmm.......
    Tough question.

What is the purpose of the shot?
    Do you know Photoshop CS2 or CS3?
    What is the end purpose of the shot? Web? Publication (newsprint or glossy print?)

You have alot of lurkers to your post but need to extend us more information so we can help.

Cheers,
    David
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 22, 2008
    Why do you need filters to shoot barns and buildings?

What, specifically, do you wish the filter to do?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    shooting barns and hotels
    i plan on submitting the photos to smugmug.I do not know cs2 or cs3.is this something i should know?i only know picasa and elements(6.0)(somewhat).i did not know what type of filter to use.i have uv,polarizing filter, and a nd.i do not know what is the most appropriate effect for a barn,but i want to shoot them at sunrise or sunset or on a cloudy day.thanks john
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    You don't necessarily need to know post processing techniques, although they can help to fix small errors in the photo. As for filters, it is a if needed type of deal. Polarizers help to add a little more saturation to the colors and kill some of the summer haze cast over a landscape, but remember, it's like putting sunglasses on your lens, so using one late at night requires a fast lens. As for times, morning and evening are the best, however the evenings tend to be hazier in my area due to dust and stuff getting kicked into the atmosphere during the day, but the color the sun casts is great.

Heres an example of an old house, not a barn although one was just out of the frame. I used a polarizer and some tonal adjustments in Lightroom.
    324472981_sutSG-XL.jpg
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    shooting barns and buildings
    well,i did what i said i would do-i shot a few barns and buildings in the ann arbor area last night.at sunset i used my 30d with a 10-22mm wide angle and a polarizing filter.i played around with the exposure and aperature.the pictures can be seen at macdonaldphotography.net under the ann arbor barns gallery.i have not yet figured out how to send photos directly to dgrin-if that is a problem i will figure it out.critical comments welcome.thanks,john
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    thanks
    thanks