REST in .NET

toybreakertoybreaker Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
I would like to start creating an app in .NET. I have looked in the forms and on google for some documentation that would get me started. I prefer vb.NET but would take what I can get.:dunno

Comments

• luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    Hey,

I would have replied earlier, but randomly my machine decided to have a vendetta against DGRIN and wouldn't post to it?!? What gives 'ey? I actually had to restart it, shocking....

Anyway, I haven't heard of much in the way of REST support in .NET. (But then I hadn't heard much in the way of REST before SM) Something seems to be up with the way the APIs have been designed, such that they don't like the standard bubble wrappers. I tried a standard .NET XML-RPC wrapper, but it didn't want to play, it seemed to have issues with the return data structures and an implication of return type polymorphism which is kind-of banned in most platforms.

[As you can tell by the ammount of fluff in the previous statement, I haven't done much work on this yet.]

Smugmug don't seem to have gone the 'heavy-web service' route, so I think it's unlikely that we're going to see WSDL so we can take to it trivially through .NET. (I think I remember Don arguing that Java's approach was just too heavyweight for his liking and that he prefered a simple RPC system. I think .NET WS is only a bit lighter than ORBs and don't even go there for .NET remoting)

[Don: If this isn't what you said, I appologise, I only skim read the conversation and it was a while back]

The advantage of this approach is that it should be relatively easy to throw the XML together using the XML support in .NET, so that's probably the way to go in .NET at the moment.

Alternatively you could wait until I've finished a .NET OO wrapper for Smugmug... But it might be quicker to wait for the heat death of the universe based on the ammount of time I'm getting to commit to it at the moment...

SUMMARY: Sorry for this inconclusive spew of thoughts, in short I don't know anything, but as the calls are so simple it shouldn't be too hard to do it manually. I'm looking at doing an OO wrapper, but I'm not getting anywhere fast.

If you come across anything, let me know please

All the best,

Luke
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    .Net stuffs
    Hey guys....

I'm right in the middle of a c# application (windows app) to interface with SmugMug. It was a real pain at first but I've created a couple of classes to handle all of the talking to Smugmug. It's .001 on the version and I'm sure I can clean it up but I'm starting to finally make some ground.

If you'd like I can send you a C#.NET class that will accept

*Method
    *URL
    *Params (collection i have)

and it will return a XML Document. Aside from this I'm creating a class for each method that will call this "request" class and then each method class will know what to do with it.

I figured once I get it working well I'll put it up for anyone that wants to play with it.

kc7dji
    edited April 28, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    Hey guys....

If you'd like I can send you a C#.NET class that will accept
    Hmm... Yes please... Anything that saves me time/effort/pizza is always welcome :-)
    I figured once I get it working well I'll put it up for anyone that wants to play with it.
    t'ould be appreciated...

Luke
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    Hey,

I would have replied earlier, but randomly my machine decided to have a vendetta against DGRIN and wouldn't post to it?!? What gives 'ey? I actually had to restart it, shocking....

Anyway, I haven't heard of much in the way of REST support in .NET. (But then I hadn't heard much in the way of REST before SM) Something seems to be up with the way the APIs have been designed, such that they don't like the standard bubble wrappers. I tried a standard .NET XML-RPC wrapper, but it didn't want to play, it seemed to have issues with the return data structures and an implication of return type polymorphism which is kind-of banned in most platforms.

[As you can tell by the ammount of fluff in the previous statement, I haven't done much work on this yet.]

Smugmug don't seem to have gone the 'heavy-web service' route, so I think it's unlikely that we're going to see WSDL so we can take to it trivially through .NET. (I think I remember Don arguing that Java's approach was just too heavyweight for his liking and that he prefered a simple RPC system. I think .NET WS is only a bit lighter than ORBs and don't even go there for .NET remoting)

[Don: If this isn't what you said, I appologise, I only skim read the conversation and it was a while back]

The advantage of this approach is that it should be relatively easy to throw the XML together using the XML support in .NET, so that's probably the way to go in .NET at the moment.

Alternatively you could wait until I've finished a .NET OO wrapper for Smugmug... But it might be quicker to wait for the heat death of the universe based on the ammount of time I'm getting to commit to it at the moment...

SUMMARY: Sorry for this inconclusive spew of thoughts, in short I don't know anything, but as the calls are so simple it shouldn't be too hard to do it manually. I'm looking at doing an OO wrapper, but I'm not getting anywhere fast.

If you come across anything, let me know please

All the best,

Luke

Might want to check out Omar's class library:
    Send To smugmug

Don
    edited May 1, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Might want to check out Omar's class library:
    Send To smugmug

Don
    Thanks Don (and Omar if you're reading this). It looks pretty neat, it seems to use sensible XMLRPC method exporting as well :): ...

Cheers,

Luke