Options

Sweating the Small Stuff

VespaFitzVespaFitz Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited April 12, 2004 in Technique
In the past couple of months, I've learned that shooting small things can be just as big a pain as big stuff.

I had to shoot a few pictures for an upcoming issue of the magazine, and one of them was of a 1/18 scale Ford GT model. Geez, it was tough. I was having all kinds of problems with depth of field.

3345940-M.jpg

When I got the nose in focus, the rear wheel would get all fuzzy, and vice versa. See how the headlight is out of focus in the picture above?

Started messing around with the apeture priority on the camera and I ended up with some useable pics.

3345939-M.jpg
3345938-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2004
    Fitzy, were you shooting in Macro mode? That would explain the really shallow depth of field.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited April 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Fitzy, were you shooting in Macro mode? That would explain the really shallow depth of field.
    That is a complaint of mine also wxwax - You set the camera in the Macro mode and bingo a Large Aperature - Gives shorter exposure time - but VespaFitz was shooting still lifes -He needed MORE depth of field -- so stop down to f22 or f32 and let the shutter sort itself out on aperature preferred like he did. (This will require a good tripod of course!)

T&S lenses would be the only improvement he could make that comes to mind for more depth of field. Or increasing the lighting intensity substantially - but then you have to keep an eye out for new reflections.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2004
    Thanks, 'finder. You made me go read up a little on Tilt and Shift lenses. I'm a moron at these sorts of things, so the fundamentals are lost on me. But at least I understand a little bit more than before.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 12, 2004
    VespaFitz wrote:
    I had to shoot a few pictures for an upcoming issue of the magazine, and one of them was of a 1/18 scale Ford GT model. Geez, it was tough. I was having all kinds of problems with depth of field.
    Bah, just a model... when are you gonna get your paws on the real deal?
    mwink.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]