My first shots with my Rebel XT!

thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
edited April 20, 2005 in People
So I got my Canon Digital Rebel XT on Monday. I was so off the wall happy- this means talking to my self and making sure I breath. Anyway, I have my very first shot of a human and some rework on a picture of my mother that I need some advice on. Comments very much welcome...
Ashley
This is Collen, she was sitting in the food court when I was first setting up my camera.
Green is the way to be!
ashleyharding.smugmug.com

Comments

• thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    My mom... the orginal shot...
    Green is the way to be!
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Mom, reworked on photoshop...I think she's too orange... but I'm having trouble, with inexperience to fix that...
    Thanks,
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Congrats on the new toy! I recently got a Rebel (not the XT) and have had a lot of fun with it. Takes a bit more getting used to than I thought, but it's fun.

Are you shooting RAW? Then you can change tons of things like exposure, white balance, etc on your computer. You can save a lot of images that way that would otherwise be junk. I highly recommend it.

I like the shot of your mother, I think mothers all over the world use that "look" daily! lol3.gif I think you did a good job on the PS work, but as you said the color looks off. Sometimes the easiest change to make is to grab the right-most eyedropper in the "curves" adjustment dialog box and pick something in the image you know is supposed to be pure white. In this case, her shirt. Give that a try and see if it helps.

Good luck with the Rebel, and good luck resisting buying more lenses! I'm having trouble with that part...
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    congrats on the camera, you must be so happy. hopefully you'll find some money to buy some accessories and lenses too. those are great pictures for a start and your moms eyes are awesome, you should maybe try an unsharp mask on them to make them a little bit sharper.

enjoy and keep sharing!

-barry

p.s. is the girl in the first pic looking right at you in the reflection on the right?