Two common butterflies

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited July 23, 2008 in Holy Macro
Speckled wood and cabbage white butterflies in the garden yesterday.
Brian V.

2689176273_fcf668f84c_o.jpg

2691326703_2ecb9d5289_o.jpg

2692165910_22046ab9f2_o.jpg

2692165916_67afd819cf_o.jpg

2691326715_12e74c2c9a_o.jpg

2691326727_ea327c2288_o.jpg

2691326737_282b5b7f91_o.jpg

Comments

• JetCrocodileJetCrocodile Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 22, 2008
    great shots BRIAN, really like comp in #1.
    did you wait for them to come to a flower near you or did you chase them? amazed you got so close.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Thanks Sven and Phil :)

Phil - I rarely wait near flowers for the bugs to come or in fact chase them. Just spotted these when I was walking around the garden. I nearly always have two or three speckled woods in the garden at any one time but the cabbage whites are rarer visitors and seem to have been attracted by a trough of rocket salad plants I'm growing.
    Just thought the lace hydrangea buds made a nice backdrop for the speckled wood.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Speckled wood and cabbage white butterflies in the garden yesterday.
    Brian V.

Hi Brian, I love the first shot clap.gif
    They're all magnificent, but I just love composition and background of No. 1.

The detail in the head shots is stunning, butterflies considering they are quite hairy don't seem to pick up much debris on their body.

Beautiful Series thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Brian, I love the first shot clap.gif
    They're all magnificent, but I just love composition and background of No. 1.

The detail in the head shots is stunning, butterflies considering they are quite hairy don't seem to pick up much debris on their body.

Beautiful Series thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy :)
    I was very pleased how #1 came out - think it's my best butterfly shot to date (natural light as well).

Brian V.
  • PackingMyBagsPackingMyBags Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Love the detail...especially in the eyes. First time ive seen hairs coming out of their eyes. Then again i havent seen too many head shots like your. GOod job!
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Love the detail...especially in the eyes. First time ive seen hairs coming out of their eyes. Then again i havent seen too many head shots like your. GOod job!

Yes fantastic shots Brian. I see them but just cannot get near them never mind waiting for them to settle. When they do settle I can never get close enough to get a shot. However, it is a real pleasure to see your shots so all is not lost.
    Regards
    Bob