Options

Three Days in Venice!

gembobsgembobs Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited July 27, 2008 in Journeys
Hi everyone, this is my first post with photos, and having just got back from Venice, I thought where better to post them than here!

I ended up going to Venice as my Parnter had a meeting there, so unfortunately not a romantic break at all. At least I had my camera with me to keep me happy and content! :lust

When we landed we were told to get on the Alilaguna, however, we didn't realise there was more than one route - and ended up jumping on the first one, which took us to most of the islands, but didn't stop where we had been told to get off at. Ah well, at least the scenery was worth it!

This is a shot of Murano through the open window of the water bus:

334683354_MS8Pj-M.jpg

As we were heading towards Venice, I spotted this sculpture / statue / thing in the lagoon, and thought it was cute!

334713771_nMswN-M.png

We headed for dinner and decided to go off in the opposite direction to that which we arrived. This took us over the Accademia Bridge, just as the sun was setting (talk about good timing!):

334721615_UgzG4-M.png

Walking back to the hotel, we crossed the same bridge:

335685011_22vvZ-M.png

The following day, we were up early, so I headed to Piazza San Marco, I was there before most of the tourists arrived, but not early enough for sunrise!

334683372_A7gMu-M.jpg

Now, something you need to know about me. I hate tourists, I hate doing touristy things and I hate looking like a tourist (so no t-shirts and shorts, trainers or teva sandles while in the city for me!) Needless to say, I didn't hang around for long! I decided to keep heading away from where I had come from, and everytime I saw a group of tourists (or tourists in general!) I headed in the opposite direction to them. This proved quite fortuitous, as I came across a small workshop which was making oars for the gondolas!

335794504_7etGd-M.jpg

The following day, I decided to tour the islands, my first stop was Murano and the glass factories. From there I went to Burano to see the pretty coloured houses

334733257_SwRi9-M.png

As I wandered further, again avoiding the tourists, I spotted this old guy, shelling peas

336472308_LAQ4d-M.jpg

From there I went to Lido, and to the beach - but only took a few photos - I felt a little funny taking photos of people I don't know wearing bikinis.

The following day it bucketed it down, so I left my camera in the hotel - and I am glad I did - on my way to Piazza San Marco, I slipped on the marble / stone flags, and landed on my bag, if my camera had been there, I am sure it would have broken me! :cry

For someone who isn't into touristy things, the San Marco Basillica is worth queing for. I didn't know whether to look at the floor or the ceiling, so kept tripping up or walking into people as I went around!

If you have never been to Venice, it is definately worth a visit. Would I go again? Probably not, as I feel I have seen all there it to see there, including the "real" Venice away from the crowds. I didn't find it overly expensive, though I had been fore warned, so was expecting the 50 Euro dinners. I am sure we could have eaten cheaper, and also more expensive, but the food was fantastic.

All my photos from my trip are here.

I hope you have enjoyed my photos as much as I did taking them! Thanks for looking.

Gem

Comments

• Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    gembobs wrote:
    If you have never been to Venice, it is definately worth a visit. Would I go again? Probably not, as I feel I have seen all there it to see there, including the "real" Venice away from the crowds. I didn't find it overly expensive, though I had been fore warned, so was expecting the 50 Euro dinners. I am sure we could have eaten cheaper, and also more expensive, but the food was fantastic.

Great photos. Agreed about visiting. Some of the best meals we had in Venice were also the cheapest - it doesn't have to be expensive.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    VoguesVogues Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I love these! So many of these iconic places are hard to photograph because everyone gets the "same" shot but these are unique and beautiful most of all 4 and the last one (I lost count.) Nice work!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Thanks for the kind comments!

To be honest, I tried to stay away from the touristy parts, hence why I haven't got the same old shots. I do have the Basillica at night, but haven't processed it yet!

Gem
  • Options
    JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Nice pictures of a very cool place. Something magical about landing at Marco Polo Aeroporto.thumb.gif
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I have been there twice and I loved it twice, but more the first time. I am like you regarding tourists. Nice series. Thanks. clap.gif

Dan
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Thanks for the comments.

Gem
  • Options
    Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Fine images, Gem. I have to disagree with one point, however. I've been there twice and would love to go again. I could easily spend a week there, camera in hand. Of course, I could spend a week on almost any corner in Italy. Going now to check out your link for the rest. Thanks for posting.
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Beautiful photos !! great journey
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Fine images, Gem. I have to disagree with one point, however. I've been there twice and would love to go again. I could easily spend a week there, camera in hand. Of course, I could spend a week on almost any corner in Italy. Going now to check out your link for the rest. Thanks for posting.

Thats fair enough, it is a lovely city but I just found it too touristy, though I do plan on going back to Italy, just elsewhere!

Thanks for the comments on my photos, its greatly appreciated!

Gem
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Now, something you need to know about me. I hate tourists, I hate doing touristy things and I hate looking like a tourist (so no t-shirts and shorts, trainers or teva sandles while in the city for me!) Needless to say, I didn't hang around for long! I decided to keep heading away from where I had come from, and everytime I saw a group of tourists (or tourists in general!) I headed in the opposite direction to them. This proved quite fortuitous, as I came across a small workshop which was making oars for the gondolas!

335794504_7etGd-M.jpg

15524779-Ti.gif I am with you there. I stay away from tourist buses, groups and cheesy touristy shops as much as possible. This is my fav shot of your series. Congrats on the lovely trip.
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Thanks for posting. Many of your shots brought back such great memories from when we were there 3 years ago. We were lucky that when visiting Murano we met up with a friend that lives there. She imports the Murano glass work to the US. She was able to get us into some of the most amazing glass factories. We were inches from the best glass blowers on the island. Venice is one of the most amazing places on earth! iloveyou.gif
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Love the wood shop pic.