Options

Original naming convention

elyobelyobelyobelyob Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
Hi, I'm looking to automatically upload photos and retrieve back the new smugmug name. I'm using PHP and MySQL on the current site.

I see that the original filename is used as the caption, but smugmug changes this to fit their system.

I don't mind storing the new name into my MySQL database. I'm not that knowledgable about XML, but willing to learn if neccesary.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    You might be interested in a free web service I created to do exactly what (I think) you're asking for. It's called Smugmug Exporter, and the link is in my signature.

Smugmug Exporter allows you to select an album and then save all of that album's image metadata (original filename, smugmug ID, caption, size, etc.) to a CSV file, which can then be imported into anything you'd like.

I use it to import smugmug IDs to IMatch (an image management app) so that I can cross-reference my original filenames with their smugmug IDs.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    After re-reading your message it looks like you may be after something slightly different. If you're looking to automatically upload and retrieve image IDs, you'll need to use the API. When an image is uploaded, the image ID is returned by the API, which you could then save to your database.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    Hi, that's great. It shows its possible to do what I want. However I will be wanting to get the file info back as and when the file is uploaded. Other people will be uploading the files for me, and then I want to be able to link it automatically. I guess I will have to look at the API in depth. A starter for ten in PHP would be ideal! ;)

Thanks

Nick
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Hey Nick
    One of the recent S*E features allows you to do just that.
    You can have other ppl upload and you'l get an upload email (tuned up to your convenience) with the ids, file name and other info. Email format can be (for now) CSV, tab-delimieted and RPC-XML.
    Check www.starexplorer.com.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    One of the recent S*E features allows you to do just that.
    You can have other ppl upload and you'l get an upload email (tuned up to your convenience) with the ids, file name and other info. Email format can be (for now) CSV, tab-delimieted and RPC-XML.
    Check www.starexplorer.com.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Hi,that's great, but they'll be uploading a picture via my own website, and then I will link it to a specific ID. i.e. they'll be uploading a photo of their business (which I will already have the ID) via my website. I will then save the link of that photo on smugmug to my own database.

Looks like I'll be studying the API tomorrow :)
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Good luck then!
    elyobelyob wrote:
    Looks like I'll be studying the API tomorrow :)
    It's not rocket science, but it definitely takes time to make the whole thing robust and convenient (which is true about every app:-).

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    dsdeedsdee Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    returned filenames via XML::RPC
    Actually, I just looked, as I, too, am interested in automating the sync'ing of portions of my collection at home with the subset that i post to SmugMug;

I looked at the API, specifically, at the smugmug.images.getInfo call, and it looks like it should be returning the filename, but it's returning "n/a".

Don, is this a known issue??

sample:

ImageID AlbumID Positi Seria Size	 Width Height Filename MD5Sum	 Waterm Format Date		Caption
     19761998 477208 7	 0	 885630	944 650	 n/a	 sm-5a434488b 1	 JPG	 2005-04-15 Glacier at Y
     19762089 477208 8	 0	 4391782 2136 1701 n/a	 sm-c2c5840b6 1	 JPG	 2005-04-15 Glacier at Y
     19762294 477208 9	 0	 7213637 3008 1841 n/a	 sm-2a0efdd56 1	 JPG	 2005-04-15 Glacier at Y
     19762633 477208 10	 0	 8100150 3008 2000 n/a	 sm-056d06440 1	 JPG	 2005-04-15 Glacier at Y

(sorry things didn't line up well; i battled with CODE parameter for 10 minutes and am giving up!)

Thanks,
    David
    <code><code>
    </code></code>
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    dsdee wrote:
    Actually, I just looked, as I, too, am interested in automating the sync'ing of portions of my collection at home with the subset that i post to SmugMug;

I looked at the API, specifically, at the smugmug.images.getInfo call, and it looks like it should be returning the filename, but it's returning "n/a".

Don, is this a known issue??

sample:

ImageID AlbumID Positi Seria Size	 Width Height Filename MD5Sum	 Waterm Format Date		Caption
     19761998 477208 7	 0	 885630	944 650	 n/a	 sm-5a434488b 1	 JPG	 2005-04-15 Glacier at Y
     19762089 477208 8	 0	 4391782 2136 1701 n/a	 sm-c2c5840b6 1	 JPG	 2005-04-15 Glacier at Y
     19762294 477208 9	 0	 7213637 3008 1841 n/a	 sm-2a0efdd56 1	 JPG	 2005-04-15 Glacier at Y
     19762633 477208 10	 0	 8100150 3008 2000 n/a	 sm-056d06440 1	 JPG	 2005-04-15 Glacier at Y

(sorry things didn't line up well; i battled with CODE parameter for 10 minutes and am giving up!)

Thanks,
    David
    <code><code>
    </code></code>

I'm at a conference right now, so I can't do detailed checking, but just guessing: I'll bet you're using a case-sensitive parser, and FileName needs the capped N in the middle. :)

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, though.

Don
  • Options
    dsdeedsdee Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    I'm at a conference right now, so I can't do detailed checking, but just guessing: I'll bet you're using a case-sensitive parser, and FileName needs the capped N in the middle. :)

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, though.

Don
    I'm afraid I can't do that. You were right on the money. I was using "Filename." I guess I didn't expect that perl or RPC::XML module would be returning 'n/a' for an undefined value, and thought the 'n/a' was being returned within the XML. On the way home from work I thought "hey, you oughta dump the XML again and make sure that it's truly not there" but just walked in and saw your posting.

Thanks again, Don.

--d2
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    dsdee wrote:
    I'm afraid I can't do that. You were right on the money. I was using "Filename." I guess I didn't expect that perl or RPC::XML module would be returning 'n/a' for an undefined value, and thought the 'n/a' was being returned within the XML. On the way home from work I thought "hey, you oughta dump the XML again and make sure that it's truly not there" but just walked in and saw your posting.

Thanks again, Don.

--d2
    I've made some reasonable advances tonight, and smugmug looks like it could be a go-er. I'm trying to get my API key at the moment. Hopefully I can get one by the time I wake up (yup, it's nearly bedtime). I'm interested in any upload/return call scripts that are available in PHP. I did find a last5.php script.

At the moment I'm not even sure where to download the main methods, but thats because I'm fixated on other things at the moment. Do I need an API key before I can download the methods/classes?

Wish me luck with XML :)

Nick
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    There's nothing to download. You just call those methods from your app via XML-RPC or REST.