Options

Huey or Spyder or none?

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited July 24, 2008 in Finishing School
I hope this is the place to post this....

I have worked to get the colors on this monitor really good... to match most of the prints I get from Smug and my local photo printer. But if it can be more exact then I would like to have it.

Do you recommend the Pantone Huey or Spyder Express and which one is best if either? Do they really make that much difference? :dunno

Your knowledgable advice would be most appreciative.

Thank you,
Eia

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Eia wrote:
    Do you recommend the Pantone Huey or Spyder Express and which one is best if either? Do they really make that much difference? ne_nau.gif

I'd actually recommend an X-Rite EyeOne Display.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    I had the huey and got poor results. I've had much better luck with the Spyder3 Pro. My smugmug and home prints are almost a perfect match to the monitor. Maybe not quite 100%, but very very close.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 24, 2008
    A properly calibrated monitor is fundamental. I hear too many folks with problems with the Huey to rec it.

Andrew is giving excellent advice here.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    The huey is better than nothing or eyeball calibration but keep in mind the market it was intended for. Someone that just barely knows they need to calibrate a display, don't have any idea what target calibration aim points to use and simply wouldn't spend more than say $80 for such a device. It was really intended for the graphic arts (designer) market, not the photo market space. If you're printing anything yourself, the cost of a calibrated display will pay for the colorimeter in short order. I also think the idea of altering the display because the ambient light around the unit is changing hourly is a mistake with huey, but again, that's due to the market it's been designed for.

I suspect some day, you'll find units like this free in the box when you open your $99 ink jet printer.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    spericsperic Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    i'm bought a spyder2express and the prints i get from it on my canon printer and what i see on my screen are very, very close. it's not an expensive device, i think i payed about $60 for it. i read mixed results on the huey devices and really couldn't afford for a $300 device when i'm not sure i needed all of the features.
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I have a spyder2express.

I've yet to make any prints, but now my laptop (LCD) and my desktop (CRT) present the same colors, so I think it's working.
  • Options
    k2bikeriderk2bikerider Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Spyder 3 Pro
    I've had great results with the Spyder 3 Pro, heard of too many issues with the Huey....