20118075-M.jpg

20118077-M.jpg

20118084-M.jpg

20118088-M.jpg

20118091-M.jpg

20118096-M.jpg

20118099-M.jpg

20118101-M.jpg

Personally I like 3 the best, but that's just me.

EDIT: My boss likes #2 the best.

Comments

• aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Wow....how long did it take you to arange those?
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    I likke number 3 for its lighting and arrangement :D
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    aero-nut wrote:
    Wow....how long did it take you to arange those?
    eek7.gifHow long is it gonna take to eat them? :D
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    I like the idea. Keep with it. It works.

A few suggestions.

1. I would set up a tripod and use a very small aperture to get a large DOF.

2. Set up a home made light tent, or diffuse the light somehow to rid yourself from the reflections. You're using colorful patterns in orb like shapes and the lack of light uniformity seems to distract a little from the pattern.

3. You're using colors as a key thing in your pattern. Use PS to make them jump out. I've taken the liberty of doing a little PS work. I hope you don't mind.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    I really like that! Only problem is a) I do not own a tripod (I'm a college student using a camera her camera-maniac dad bought her for christmas 2003)... also I'm a little ashamed to ask, but what's a DOF? I take pictures because I enjoy taking them... I'm still learning terminology and technique!

I am quite a good utilizer of photoshop though :) so I shall be sure to tweak my product and make it richly saturated like you did.

Not sure what the best way to make a home made light tent would be... I used the "headache" lamp as we call it, aka the bright flourescant that lights up our computer desk...

18885352-M.jpg

See the bright thing on top of that picture causing the large amounts of light? That was what I used to light up the gobstoppers... I had them laid out on my pillow.. the head of my bed is directly to the left of the desk you see in that picture.

So yeah, how can one make a homemade light tent?
    Khaos wrote:
    I like the idea. Keep with it. It works.

A few suggestions.

1. I would set up a tripod and use a very small aperture to get a large DOF.

2. Set up a home made light tent, or diffuse the light somehow to rid yourself from the reflections. You're using colorful patterns in orb like shapes and the lack of light uniformity seems to distract a little from the pattern.

3. You're using colors as a key thing in your pattern. Use PS to make them jump out. I've taken the liberty of doing a little PS work. I hope you don't mind.
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Shima wrote:
    I really like that! Only problem is a) I do not own a tripod (I'm a college student using a camera her camera-maniac dad bought her for christmas 2003)... also I'm a little ashamed to ask, but what's a DOF? I take pictures because I enjoy taking them... I'm still learning terminology and technique!

I am quite a good utilizer of photoshop though :) so I shall be sure to tweak my product and make it richly saturated like you did.

Not sure what the best way to make a home made light tent would be... I used the "headache" lamp as we call it, aka the bright flourescant that lights up our computer desk...

18885352-M.jpg

See the bright thing on top of that picture causing the large amounts of light? That was what I used to light up the gobstoppers... I had them laid out on my pillow.. the head of my bed is directly to the left of the desk you see in that picture.

So yeah, how can one make a homemade light tent?
    hey! ok, DOF=depth of field.....opening your aperture to 2. something or more will give you a smaller plane of focus. that way you could play with having your focus on the back edge of the gobstoppers or the front, while the rest recede into a gradual blur.

since you're using a desk lamp, you may find some success to taping a piece of paper to the outer edge of the lamp and then pointing the lamp upwards so that the lit side of the paper is facing down towards your subject. this helps to diffuse the light by bouncing it off the paper.

looks like you're in a dorm room. you could also fix a white sheet above your subject, take your desk lamp and point it up toward the sheet (and borrow someone else's headache lamp to do the same on the other side).

ghetto-rigging 101. :D

also, (as much as I hate to promote this company) Wal-Mart has some decent tripods you could buy for less than $15 sometimes. at least the one here does last time I looked.

are you using manual or auto settings on the camera?
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Yeah, what she said.:D

I agree, Walmart is an evil empire. I never shop there. Ever.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    I'm not using the lamp in that picture, I was using the large light emitting light thing that is on in that picture of my dorm. I can use the lamp though, if the bulb is still working, don't recall if I ever replaced it as that little lamp isn't used very often...

Yes I am in a dorm, I'm a college chick. Hence the low budget.
    We have a 24 hour walmart that's in VERY close walking distance from campus (though I still drive because I never like carrying all my bags back) It's a Super Walmart, I usually get groceries and movies there, heh.

Not sure how much time I'll have for more pictures this week, I've got a 40 page paper due on the 2nd of May... so that's eating most of my free time currently...

But yeah, i'm using a Kodak EasyShare DX6340... I'm pretty sure I can only autofocus the camera... but yeah as for fiddling w/ settings I have a mode called "PAS" I believe s = shutter speed, a = aperature... and off the top of my head I can't recall what the P is for... anyhoo back of my camera I've attached here... I've been taking the pictures with the one that looks like a flower, it's my setting for close ups.

Heh, I know how to point and shoot and fiddle with some basic auto-settings to get my pictures to look pretty, but when it comes to getting technical with everything, I feel like such a newbie still... and I've been one who shoots lots of pictures for years now, x.x

Which humors my friends since I'm a huge computer tech geek, and know just about everything about computers, yet I don't know a majority of camera terminology...

hey! ok, DOF=depth of field.....opening your aperture to 2. something or more will give you a smaller plane of focus. that way you could play with having your focus on the back edge of the gobstoppers or the front, while the rest recede into a gradual blur.

since you're using a desk lamp, you may find some success to taping a piece of paper to the outer edge of the lamp and then pointing the lamp upwards so that the lit side of the paper is facing down towards your subject. this helps to diffuse the light by bouncing it off the paper.

looks like you're in a dorm room. you could also fix a white sheet above your subject, take your desk lamp and point it up toward the sheet (and borrow someone else's headache lamp to do the same on the other side).

ghetto-rigging 101. :D

also, (as much as I hate to promote this company) Wal-Mart has some decent tripods you could buy for less than $15 sometimes. at least the one here does last time I looked.

are you using manual or auto settings on the camera?