Some more from Mull, world's longest PP, possibly.

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited August 12, 2008 in Landscapes
Well I keep going back to my Mull images and doing a bit of processing here and there but it's becoming a chore and somehow that doesn't sit right.

I guess the problem lies in my indecision and lack of speed in PP.

This shot of Calgary Beach has been languishing, unloved but now I've worked it up I really like it, not sure about my objectivity anymore however so comments welcome:-

336880030_jspKm-L.jpg

This is one of the many shots of the boat wrecks that I took, I'm currently going through a desaturated phase so this is what I was after:-

336890116_KVWAT-L.jpg

Again comments welcome.

Charlie

Comments

• dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:

This is one of the many shots of the boat wrecks that I took, I'm currently going through a desaturated phase so this is what I was after:-

336890116_KVWAT-L.jpg

Again comments welcome.

Charlie

I love this look with this picture. I understand your PP frustration. As you become more fimiliar with outcomes, the PP will become faster. I also usually know what i want the outcome to be when i take the original picture but that does not mean I do not play with it in PS sometimes.

Keep on tinkering, it is the best way to get the results you want and the skills you are looking for.
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I like them both especially the second. thumb.gif I would like to see larger versions :D
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I might crop the first:

20080723-fpnindr7kye7kfwen7ttyes826.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Charlie, I really like the first. Not a direction I would have seen for processing, and it turned out very nice. thumb.gif The second is too washed out for my tastes, though I understand your reason for the treatment.

...and I'm nowhere near finishing my processing, so you still have me beat. :D
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    dadwtwins wrote:
    I love this look with this picture. I understand your PP frustration. As you become more fimiliar with outcomes, the PP will become faster. I also usually know what i want the outcome to be when i take the original picture but that does not mean I do not play with it in PS sometimes.

Keep on tinkering, it is the best way to get the results you want and the skills you are looking for.

Thanks, you make a good point about knowing what you intend to do with the image when you take the picture resulting in shorter PP, I guess this all comes from experience.

Charlie
    edited July 26, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I like them both especially the second. thumb.gif I would like to see larger versions :D

Thanks Dan, all of the various styles I've tried I do seem to keep going back to the desaturated effect, I started uaing it with my flower shots and really like it.

Charlie
    edited July 26, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I might crop the first:

You're right David, I think that works better, thanks.

Charlie
    edited July 26, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Charlie, I really like the first. Not a direction I would have seen for processing, and it turned out very nice. thumb.gif The second is too washed out for my tastes, though I understand your reason for the treatment.

...and I'm nowhere near finishing my processing, so you still have me beat. :D

Thanks Kerry,

I do like the mood of that first shot, and the guy on the beach definitely helps even if the composition is a bit off.

The desaturated effect definitely splits opinions, but I'm a bit wishy washy myself, I like it now, but in six month's time, who knows.

I'm glad I'm not the only one still tinkering but then you did have your tour of the UK as well so you're easily excusedmwink.gif

Charlie
    edited July 26, 2008
    Here are some more candids, wish they were better and there were more of them:-

338977878_YCp8e-L.jpg

338978128_RNFEh-L.jpg

338978305_tFR2i-L.jpg

338978599_qLrGw-L.jpg

338978851_h2Vzj-L.jpg

Charlie
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Oops I thought I had commented on this already! I love the mood on the second. We've all seen the boats enough by now but your desaturated treatment really makes it timeless. thumb.gif

I also love your candids. I have a several tons of them, some not even taken with my P&S but I haven't processed many because they're a bit dull SOOC. Thank you for posting these! They are great and the real "flavor savers" of the trip. wings.gif

Hope you're doing well, Charlie!
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Hi Charlie!

The first one is very nice with the leading line of the log to the man on the beach. Okay, well not directly to the man, but close enough that I first focused on the log, then followed it up to the man. It worked wonderfully. I definitely agree with DavidTO's crop suggestion, as the upper part of the sky was drawing my eye out of the frame.

The second one I really love. I think your pp choices here are excellent. The only suggestion I have for it is to perhaps drag a very slight white vignette along the top. Alternatively, you could just desaturate that area further. The blue in the sky keeps pulling my eye up. If you wanted to take it even further, you could add a slight white vignette to the bottom corners too, but that might look too kitschy.

The candids are great also. Looks like everyone had a great time!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Whoah! Watch that last step! For the first one I would have removed the "human" intervention in the background. The boats are amazing....love the production work on this one!
    edited August 12, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Oops I thought I had commented on this already! I love the mood on the second. We've all seen the boats enough by now but your desaturated treatment really makes it timeless. thumb.gif

I also love your candids. I have a several tons of them, some not even taken with my P&S but I haven't processed many because they're a bit dull SOOC. Thank you for posting these! They are great and the real "flavor savers" of the trip. wings.gif

Hope you're doing well, Charlie!

Whoops, missed these further replies. thanks Schmoo. I think you should post your candids, life's a bit dull here at the moment, not shooting much so some more memories of wonderful Mull would go down a treat!

Charlie
    edited August 12, 2008
    Hi Charlie!

The first one is very nice with the leading line of the log to the man on the beach. Okay, well not directly to the man, but close enough that I first focused on the log, then followed it up to the man. It worked wonderfully. I definitely agree with DavidTO's crop suggestion, as the upper part of the sky was drawing my eye out of the frame.

The second one I really love. I think your pp choices here are excellent. The only suggestion I have for it is to perhaps drag a very slight white vignette along the top. Alternatively, you could just desaturate that area further. The blue in the sky keeps pulling my eye up. If you wanted to take it even further, you could add a slight white vignette to the bottom corners too, but that might look too kitschy.

The candids are great also. Looks like everyone had a great time!

Thanks Emily, I see what you mean about the blue at the top of the image, funnily enough I did try a 2:1 or 10:4 crop, can't remember which that essentially cropped this part of the image out and it also worked quite nicely!

Charlie